Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2020, 10:34:53 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  2020 Awards Season (for 2019 movies)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 [3]
: 2020 Awards Season (for 2019 movies)  ( 2565 )
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #30 : February 11, 2020, 09:56:40 AM »

we haven't heard a word from n_l since the Oscar announcements  ... I guess he is in mourning over The Irishman not winning anything.

And dj (aka Jap Lover) is hiding in shame over having referred to the Korean film industry as the "Canada of Asia"

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #31 : February 11, 2020, 10:05:29 AM »

Re-reading our discussion of Parasite here http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=7645.msg199158#msg199158

I enjoyed the first half, which just seems like a nice movie. The second half, which descends into madness, and all the dumb inequality themes, well if you like that stuff you'll like it. I'm not into that.

South Korea has understandably been in a state of euphoria the past couple of days

here are two articles from Yonhap - the first one focuses on a dish made famous by the film, the second on the history of the screenplay

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200211003651315?section=news

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200211009500315?section=news

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #32 : February 11, 2020, 10:46:00 AM »

we haven't heard a word from n_l since the Oscar announcements  ... I guess he is in mourning over The Irishman not winning anything.

And dj (aka Jap Lover) is hiding in shame over having referred to the Korean film industry as the "Canada of Asia"

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Haha i wasn’t mourning I knew all that beforehand. Also, it’s harder to cheat history than it is to cheat the academy, The Irishman is already becoming the great landmark it deserves to be... probably more in a Pat Garett  kind of way (instead of a Wild Bunch kind of way). I was afraid 1917 or Joker would win too many meaningful things so in the end it’s all good. And all in all it’s pretty good that a “weird” foreign film won, although it’s ironic and such a wasted opportunity to have that happen while American movies just had their greatest year since 2007. They should have done that last year with Roma.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #33 : February 11, 2020, 11:21:36 AM »

Haha i wasn’t mourning I knew all that beforehand. Also, it’s harder to cheat history than it is to cheat the academy, The Irishman is already becoming the great landmark it deserves to be... probably more in a Pat Garett  kind of way (instead of a Wild Bunch kind of way). I was afraid 1917 or Joker would win too many meaningful things so in the end it’s all good. And all in all it’s pretty good that a “weird” foreign film won, although it’s ironic and such a wasted opportunity to have that happen while American movies just had their greatest year since 2007. They should have done that last year with Roma.

I did not like Roma.

The Irishman
feels too fake to me. Of course, Scorsese films are judged by Scorsese standards, which is a high bar.

BTW, when Bong Joon Ho won the Oscar for Best Directing, his speech turned into an impromptu tribute to Scorsese. It's a nice little moment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftz-BPqCiZU

« : February 11, 2020, 12:30:08 PM drinkanddestroy »

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #34 : February 11, 2020, 11:42:54 AM »

I did not like Roma.

The Irishman
feels too fake to me. Of course, Scorsese films are judged by Scorsese standards, which is a high bar.

It's Marty's OUATIA, in every way possible. And yes, it has flaws. But in the end it doesn't matter at all.

BTW, when 1:06 Bong Joon Ho won the Oscar for Best Directing, his speech turned into an impromptu tribute to Scorsese. It's a nice little moment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftz-BPqCiZU

Ha, thanks for that. Unfortunately the video is blocked in my country. I'll try to find the speech somewhere else.

« : February 11, 2020, 02:03:55 PM noodles_leone »

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #35 : February 12, 2020, 01:02:14 AM »

I saw it, that was a great speech.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #36 : February 14, 2020, 02:38:55 PM »

I gave Parasite an 8/10. BTW the father played the "Tuco" character in The Good The Bad And The Weird

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #37 : February 29, 2020, 03:06:46 AM »

So at the Cesars (the French Oscars), Les Mis?rables won best film (probably deservedly so), which confirms it could totally have won the Oscar for best foreign film if only it wasn?t Parasite?s year. Polanski won best director (a noticeable chunk of the audience left the room to protest) as well as a couple of other awards. It was a troubled year because Polanski?s film was nominated in 12 categories, which led to the whole academy resigning 2 weeks before the ceremony. Funny times.

Of course Parasite won best foreign film because it?s trying to steal every single award this year. For a movie about classes, it turned out greedier than capitalism itself.

« : February 29, 2020, 03:08:57 AM noodles_leone »

: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines