Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 03, 2021, 09:37:23 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Best Films of the 2010's
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2
: Best Films of the 2010's  ( 4800 )
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« : December 11, 2019, 11:02:38 AM »

2020 is near, time for some thinking on the decade of movies that's ending. What are your best picks of the decade? Make it top 3, top 10, whatever.

I'm still thinking about my list but here is a first draft in no particular order:

The Social Network
Tree of Life
Inside Llewyn Davis
The Irishman
Mad Max: Fury Road
Gravity
Roma
Scott Pilgrim vs The World
Phantom Thread

Didn't make the cut but hold a special place in my moviegoer's heart:

The Master
Blade Runner 2049
The Lego Movie
Drive
The Wolf of Wall Street
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Whiplash
La La Land
Birdman
Hereditary
First Reformed
Call Me by Your Name
The Witch
The World's End
Baby Driver
Arrival
And may be Once Upon a Time in Hollywood  and Into The Spider-Verse will be in that list some day. Who knows.

And if I had to make a special list for the sick fuck films that I'll probably never watch again but that will stay stuck in brain forever:

Les Garçons Sauvages
A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence

In retrospective, seems like I'm a boring brain-dead millennial who only watches what Hollywood spoon-feeds him.

And here's powerRR's one to save him some time:

2011 : The Tree of Life
2012 : To the Wonder / The Master
2014 : Inherent Vice
2015 : Knight of Cups
2016 : Voyage of Time (yes, even that one)
2017 : Phantom Thread / Song to Song
2019 : A Hidden Life

« : December 11, 2019, 12:24:36 PM noodles_leone »

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #1 : December 11, 2019, 11:58:48 AM »

There's more I agree with on your lists than disagree with, so here's my response to those I DISAGREE with (merely on personal taste - all technicalities and cinematic importance aside). I've seen every single one of them so I'm not sure whether that's a good or bad thing for my movie addiction.

I've never been a fan of Gravity and obviously Scott Pilgrim (I'm willing to give the latter a third try)

The second half is wrong because The Master isn't on the top half. Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Birdman, The Witch, and The World's End are a bit "meh" for me.

Your list for me is of course far too accurate. Working on my lists for a follow-up post.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #2 : December 11, 2019, 12:14:37 PM »

In three tiers:

Roy's Special 2010's Masterpieces

The movies I'll be watching at least once a year, every year, until I croak.

The Tree of Life (2011)
The Master (2012)
Horace and Pete (2016)
Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood (2019)

Roy's Favorites of 2010's

Just shy of that top tier, but all 9's and maybe 10's.

The Social Network (2010)
The Hunt (2012)
Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)
Boyhood (2014)
Inherent Vice (2014)
The Wolf of Wall Street (2015)
Everybody Wants Some!! (2016)
Voyage of Time (2016)
Manchester by the Sea (2016)
The Florida Project (2017)
Song to Song (2017)
If Beale Street Could Talk (2018)
A Hidden Life (2019)
The Irishman (2019)

The 2010's Honorable Mentions

Maybe a bit more special than an "honorable mention". All movies worth owning and revisiting for years to come.

Shutter Island (2010)
50/50 (2011)
Drive (2011)
Shame (2011)
Django Unchained (2012)
Before Midnight (2013)
Heaven Knows What (2014)
Whiplash (2014)
Inside Out (2015)
La La Land (2016)
Good Time (2017)
Phantom Thread (2017)

And a shoutout to the TV shows
Atlanta
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
Fargo
Horace and Pete
Louie
Nathan For You

which were for the most part, better than the movies.

A final special shoutout to The Act of Killing and The Look of Silence, two documentaries, which are so good that they transcend movies in general. But they are too difficult to watch more than once, and this list is about FAVORITES.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #3 : December 11, 2019, 03:48:11 PM »

I liked these...

The Killer Inside Me (2010)

The Iceman (2012)

Django Unchained (2012)

Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)

Sin City: A Dame To Kill For (2014)

Cop Car (2015)

Too Late (2015)

The Wolf of Wall Street (2015)

The American Side (2016)

Hell or High Water (2016)

Nocturnal Animals (2016)

Frank & Lola (2016)

Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

Roma (2018)

The Irishman (2019)

Motherless Brooklyn (2019)

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (2019)

And TV

Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
Twin Peaks
Boardwalk Empire
Man In The High Castle
Outlander

« : December 11, 2019, 03:49:46 PM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #4 : December 12, 2019, 01:42:18 AM »

Nocturnal Animal is one of the best genre films of the decade. Still, the "real life" part isn't good enough for the film to fully work for me.

I still have to watch:
Frank and Lola
Motherless Brooklyn
The Iceman
The Hunt
If Beale Street Could Talk

and of course, A Hidden Life, that was released yesterday in France.

TV SHOWS

Community
Rick and Morty
Horace & Pete
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
True Detective SEASON 1
Fargo

Probably: Barry, Atlanta

« : December 12, 2019, 02:42:14 AM noodles_leone »

greenbudgie
Gunslinger

« #5 : December 12, 2019, 01:48:02 AM »

A Play Entitled Sehnsucht (2012) is probably my favourite mystery movie of the decade. All about hypnotism which is fascinating subject for me.

This decade's TV Series I've rated the most highly are:-

Mr Mercedes - great psychopathic killer series.
Miss Fisher - She's got a film coming out next year.
Royal Murder Mysteries - a great documentary series on the mysterious deaths in the British Royal Family.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #6 : August 06, 2020, 06:50:34 PM »

It took me a while, but finally:

My 20 Faves from the 2010s (in rank order)

Never Look Away
A Hidden Life
The Master
Inside Llewyn Davis
Norwegian Wood
Something in the Air/ Apres Mai
The Wolf of Wall Street
Carlos
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Ford vs. Ferrari
The Goldfinch
Your Name
Boyhood
Every Thing Will Be Fine
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
Birdman
A Dangerous Method
Baby Driver
Drive
John Wick

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #7 : August 10, 2020, 01:48:07 AM »

DJ, I figured that n_l couldn't see past his ideology and admit to how awesome American Sniper (2014) is, but what excuse do you have?

If forced to pick a single greatest film of the decade, this would be a candidate. Bradley Cooper gives one of the great performances in the movies in American Sniper.

I have not seen a lot of the films mentioned in lists above, and of the ones I have seen, I'm not such a fan of many (like The Irishman [2019]). What is below is not necessarily my "greatest" list, but a few movies that for one reason or another I'd like to comment on, in alphabetical order.

Argo is a damn good movie. Maybe it's blind hatred of Ben Affleck, maybe it's the fact that (IMO) thrillers aren't always as rewatchable as dramas. But it was a damn good movie

I have to give a shout-out to Arbitrage (2012) ? not a great movie, but a very good one, which seems to have not gotten any notice on the SLWB, so I just want to give it some love.

The Artist (2011) was a terrific watch. It seems that many around here judge a movie by how many times they will rewatch it, and some types of movies are more re-watchable than others. But if you talk about moveis you may never watch again but discussing enjoyment level on that one watch, The Artist was really good.

Boyhood was really good. Definitely belongs on the list. (Another movie I would not want to re-watch).

The Girl With Dragon Tattoo was strange: Rooney Mara was an incredibly terrific character whom I took great pleasure in watching, even though the story and the rest of the movie (which did feature a good performance by Daniel Craig) were completely uninteresting.

Killing Them Softly (2012), which I saw twice. Another one that may not be on the greatest list, but is a solid 8/10 and I want to give a shout out because it doesn't get much love around here. The last line is dumb, otherwise this movie is  really good, with terrific performances all around.

Moneyball (2011) gets top sports movie of the decade ? off the top of my head, I can't think of any notable ones.

Nightcrawler (2014) was really good, Jake Gyllenhaal was terrific.

Parasite (2019) is definitely NOT on my list, and I'm glad it's on none of y'all's. Nevertheless, I'm happy that it won the Oscar because that must really kill the Jap-lover DJ, who had infamously stated, "In terms of cinema, Korea is the Canada of Asia.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The Social Network (2010) - terrific movie, on the list of best films of the decade. Great performances, and what is particularly notable is the editing, the way it cuts back and forth between the various depositions and episodes.

Whiplash (2014) was really good, with a memorable performance by J.K. Simmons, most famous (to me, at least) as the guy in the Farmer's insurance ads.

Finally, Winter's Bone (2010), another movie I liked, but which I don't believe got much love around here.

Those are some of my thoughts on the decade. Now, based on y'all's lists, I do have some movies to catch up on. Based on my list, so do y'all as well  ;)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #8 : August 15, 2020, 12:38:00 PM »

American Sniper If forced to pick a single greatest film of the decade, this would be a candidate. Bradley Cooper gives one of the great performances in the movies in American Sniper.

Argo is a damn good movie. Maybe it's blind hatred of Ben Affleck, maybe it's the fact that (IMO) thrillers aren't always as rewatchable as dramas. But it was a damn good movie

You have so much the taste of a dad that you should have children right away. I'm sure they'll enjoy watching these and The Patriot.

By the way, I've changed my mind over American Sniper. I was probably a bit blinded by my ideology. I've listen to a great conference. The guy makes a point in showing that what I took for Clint's ideology was actually Chris Kyle's ideology at the beginning of the movie. The movie is probably smarter than I was. I'll have to rewatch it some day. There is now way it ends up on my "film of the decade" list, though.

I stand by the list I made at the beginning of this thread, and as time goes by, I'm more and more sure the decade opened and closed with its two best movies by very far: The Social Network and The Irishman. Nothing comes close. And nothing has been so much in my mind since day one. I just cannot help thinking about these two movies almost every single day.

« : August 15, 2020, 12:39:20 PM noodles_leone »

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #9 : August 15, 2020, 06:17:35 PM »

You have so much the taste of a dad that you should have children right away. I'm sure they'll enjoy watching these and The Patriot.

By the way, I've changed my mind over American Sniper. I was probably a bit blinded by my ideology. I've listen to a great conference. The guy makes a point in showing that what I took for Clint's ideology was actually Chris Kyle's ideology at the beginning of the movie. The movie is probably smarter than I was. I'll have to rewatch it some day. There is now way it ends up on my "film of the decade" list, though.

Did you see Clint?s speech at the Republican National Convention in 2012? As I recall he did not appear to be enamored with the Iraw War. Don?t assume Clint was for that war just cuz he is a Republican.

Also, remember when Kyle goes to the funeral of his friend, and the widow reads an anti-war letter, and Kyle is upset? I don?t feel that Kyle?s anger is portrayed positively. I really do believe the movie presents Kyle?s views as it would any biographical film, not necessarily agreeing with them.

I am not gung-ho about the Iraq War. I was able to enjoy the movie nonetheless. I?m also not an atheist, and I was able to enjoy INHERIT THE WIND - I have probably rated it higher (8.5/10) than anyone else here- though it absolutely takes a very strong position in favor of those who say God did not create the world. But it was made so well. Such great actors. I enjoyed it as entertainment not ideology.

I know n_l thinks movies shouldn?t be entertaining. In that sense, who is the crusty old man, me or him?  ;)

Anyway, I thought AMERICAN SNIPER presented Kyle as a terrific sniper, but was not pushing any ideological agenda.

And I have to tell you SPOILER ALERT

That the ending was so insanely terrific, although it?s just an intertitle and  you never see it happen. I was not aware of what happens to Kyle before i saw the movie. The ending is so powerful. I saw it twice in theaters. The loud gasps I heard at those closing titles were something I have never heard before in a theater. So powerful.

And I just have to say again, Cooper?s performance IMO is on a short list of the very greatest of all time.

Oh and One more point on ideology:  there are some on the very very far left who are simply anti-military. They assume the military is always and everywhere wrong, and look down on any war, matter which one. For those people, I can understand that there is no way they?ll be able to enjoy this movie. Because, regardless of the specific war Kyle was fighting in, you do have to admire Kyle?s skills as a sniper and the war scenes in general, and if you think all soldiers are necessarily murderers, then I will certainly see how you cannot enjoy this movie. But if you are someone who takes at least a moderate approach toward military in general: that a military is necessary, and sometimes war is unfortunately necessary, while other times it is wrong, I think you can enjoy this movie regardless of your opinion of the Iraq war.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #10 : August 16, 2020, 03:57:37 AM »

I seem to remember talking about how Clint was against the Iraq war in my initial review of American Sniper. What I understand now is that the weird shortcut in the film between 9/11 and the Iraq war isn't what Clint thinks, it's how the character himself (and actually a good chunk of the US population) experienced it.

I'm not sure why you go into the pro/against the military debate though, but the film is quite subtle about the whole thing and I don't think it really makes a point for or against it.

And since Roy added TV shows I guess cinematic videogames have the right to be there too:

The Last of Us 2 - greatest videogame of decade, probably greatest videogame ever. It's probably better than a good chunk of my favorite 50 movies. It may be good enough to be in my top 20 movies of all times.

Challenger:
Red Dead Redemption 2 - Everybody who likes western movies should buy a PS4 and play this. I definitely did at the time.

« : August 16, 2020, 04:18:30 AM noodles_leone »

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #11 : August 19, 2020, 09:23:33 PM »

after this recent chat, I just saw American Sniper again ? I believe this is the first time I've seen it, since seeing it twice in theater shortly after its release.

I can't possibly understand how anyone can say this movie is trying to justify the Iraq War. What I can understand is that someone who opposes the Iraq War so badly may find it hard to consider the movie on its own merits.

If someone can accept, for the sake of watching the movie, the basic premise that you're happy when the Americans kill the militants and unhappy when the militants kill the Americans, you should be able to enjoy the movie.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #12 : August 21, 2020, 12:08:49 PM »

I can't possibly understand how anyone can say this movie is trying to justify the Iraq War. What I can understand is that someone who opposes the Iraq War so badly may find it hard to consider the movie on its own merits.
I think a lot of people have this view of Clint as a radical conservative, and need to view the movie with that misconception and thus come up with their own themes. That said, the tone is questionable sometimes and I don't remember it ever going "full anti-war". And it it's not 100% full anti-war, lots of more liberal filmgoers will say that it's pro-war. It's been a long time since I've seen it and I know I had a lot of criticisms with the tone of the movie (mostly at the beginning, I think). I do like it a lot, it's one of his way better directing efforts recently, and one of Bradley's better performances. But I wouldn't have it on even my Top 50 of the decade I think. It's just not that unique or memorable despite being well-done.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #13 : August 21, 2020, 12:16:18 PM »

I think a lot of people have this view of Clint as a radical conservative, and need to view the movie with that misconception and thus come up with their own themes. That said, the tone is questionable sometimes and I don't remember it ever going "full anti-war". And it it's not 100% full anti-war, lots of more liberal filmgoers will say that it's pro-war. It's been a long time since I've seen it and I know I had a lot of criticisms with the tone of the movie (mostly at the beginning, I think). I do like it a lot, it's one of his way better directing efforts recently, and one of Bradley's better performances. But I wouldn't have it on even my Top 50 of the decade I think. It's just not that unique or memorable despite being well-done.

I definitely wouldn?t say it?s strongly anti-war, either. It does not make a strong pro- or anti-war statement. It?s just the story of Chris Kyle. Not every war movie has to take a pro- or anti-war position.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #14 : August 21, 2020, 12:43:16 PM »

DJ, I figured that n_l couldn't see past his ideology and admit to how awesome American Sniper (2014) is, but what excuse do you have?
Well, I didn't make a Top 30 list. If I had it would have been on it, along with Nightcrawler and Maps to the Stars. Baby Driver and Non Fiction would have places on it as well.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines