Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 13, 2020, 05:24:09 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Big Sleep (1946)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: The Big Sleep (1946)  ( 790 )
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« : January 14, 2020, 10:58:31 PM »

Previous discussion begins here http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1822.msg134657#msg134657

Eddie Muller's intro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLOadKLhxLI&feature=youtu.be

Eddie Muller's outro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjLaHOqPg1U&feature=youtu.be

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
greenbudgie
Gunslinger

« #1 : January 15, 2020, 01:33:41 AM »

I'm glad to see that this noir mystery has now got it's own thread. I will watch it again soon.

It's a movie that can keep devotees puzzling for years. There are so many whodunits in this. And probably what seems like an unsolved murder left at the end. There are such nuances and the dialogue is the most cryptic of all movies. It's a real shadowy treat for a mystery fan like myself.

I reckon Lauren Bacall had great rhythm in her singing. That scene where she appears with a jazz combo is very memorable for me.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #2 : January 15, 2020, 04:20:56 AM »

I'm glad to see that this noir mystery has now got it's own thread. I will watch it again soon.

It's a movie that can keep devotees puzzling for years. There are so many whodunits in this. And probably what seems like an unsolved murder left at the end. There are such nuances and the dialogue is the most cryptic of all movies. It's a real shadowy treat for a mystery fan like myself.

I reckon Lauren Bacall had great rhythm in her singing. That scene where she appears with a jazz combo is very memorable for me.

The version that follows the novel better is the 1978 version with Robert Mitchum, though it does update the novel to 1978 and has Marlowe staying in London after serving WWII and practicing his P.I. work there.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
greenbudgie
Gunslinger

« #3 : January 16, 2020, 01:44:06 AM »

The version that follows the novel better is the 1978 version with Robert Mitchum, though it does update the novel to 1978 and has Marlowe staying in London after serving WWII and practicing his P.I. work there.

I can remember seeing the 1978 version. Especially the tussle between Robert Mitchum and Joan Collins on that sofa. I can remember thinking that they made a good screen pairing. Another memory I have is Richard Boone with a machine gun. Giving him the advantage over the others.

I'm ashamed to say I've never got round to reading the novel yet. I think they use Chandler's words to describe the film's title in the 1978 movie. Something about not mattering where you lay when you were dead. "You were sleeping the big sleep."

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #4 : January 16, 2020, 04:23:50 AM »

I can remember seeing the 1978 version. Especially the tussle between Robert Mitchum and Joan Collins on that sofa. I can remember thinking that they made a good screen pairing. Another memory I have is Richard Boone with a machine gun. Giving him the advantage over the others.

I'm ashamed to say I've never got round to reading the novel yet. I think they use Chandler's words to describe the film's title in the 1978 movie. Something about not mattering where you lay when you were dead. "You were sleeping the big sleep."

Other than the time and location change yes it does follow the novel much closer. Jimmy Stewart also plays General Sternwood in a bit part.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
greenbudgie
Gunslinger

« #5 : January 17, 2020, 02:25:17 AM »

Other than the time and location change yes it does follow the novel much closer. Jimmy Stewart also plays General Sternwood in a bit part.

I've decided I must read the novel now. I've just watched the Jimmy Stewart clip from the movie on You Tube. Sitting in his plant house. It looks as though You Tube don't run the full movie. But I must see the 1978 version again as well.

Robert Mitchum is really good in those You Tube clips. I can hardly believe he was 61 when he made the film.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #6 : January 17, 2020, 04:01:53 AM »

I've decided I must read the novel now. I've just watched the Jimmy Stewart clip from the movie on You Tube. Sitting in his plant house. It looks as though You Tube don't run the full movie. But I must see the 1978 version again as well.

Robert Mitchum is really good in those You Tube clips. I can hardly believe he was 61 when he made the film.

I just wished they would have kept it as period piece and in Los Angeles like they did for Farewell My Lovely. I believe, just a guess though, that it was UK financiers/studios involved in that change.

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #7 : January 17, 2020, 04:17:00 AM »

The film by Michael Winner is pretty mediocre in every respect.

But from the Hawks film two versions exist. The first one is closer to the novel, but the usual one, for which several new scenes were written and shot, is closer to a typical Hawks film. Ironically that happened only after the producers (not Hawks) wished to shoot some new scenes, cause they feared that the film could kill the career of their new promising star Bacall.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #8 : January 17, 2020, 10:21:37 AM »

The film by Michael Winner is pretty mediocre in every respect.

I give it a 7/10 it's nothing special but far from mediocre.

greenbudgie
Gunslinger

« #9 : January 18, 2020, 02:09:42 AM »

I just wished they would have kept it as period piece and in Los Angeles like they did for Farewell My Lovely. I believe, just a guess though, that it was UK financiers/studios involved in that change.

I would have preferred a 1940s LA setting too. ITC Entertainment backed Michael Winner's Winkast production to make this from what I can see. It's a British company that has some links with the US. I suppose Michael Winner would have had the most say in it's place and period setting. BFI have got it on DVD so I know I can expect a good quality print.

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines