Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 10:52:05 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  A Leone Lover's Guide To Other Spaghetti Westerns
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Leone Lover's Guide To Other Spaghetti Westerns  (Read 41456 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2005, 04:10:39 AM »

Again Joe, I did'n't see the film yet, it's only the song.
When I hear it in the morning it's in my head the whole day.

That brings up an interesting subject, I wonder especially those among us who are the real Ennio Morricone philes which SW's had really great scores but were lousy films. Conversly there are probably a few great SW's that had lousy or forgettable scores (ie. A Man Called Sledge).

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
KERMIT
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2005, 04:34:19 AM »

That brings up an interesting subject, I wonder especially those among us who are the real Ennio Morricone philes which SW's had really great scores but were lousy films. Conversly there are probably a few great SW's that had lousy or forgettable scores (ie. A Man Called Sledge).
to name a few:

a gringo like me
seven guns for the mcgregors
gun's don't argue
the indians
lonesome billy
ringo rides again

actually i don't dislike them , i just get the feeling they are either filler, or pre trilogy before the assosiation between morricone & leone got hot and heavy. we must remember leone would send morricone back to rewrite several scores untill leone could imagine the scene presented to him so shooting could start.

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2005, 03:02:29 PM »

Personally, I love Corbucci's The Hellbenders - that would be in my top 5.  On the Django debate - personally I think it is a brilliant film, and very nearly up there with Leone's best work.  Great Silence also.  Other films on that A-list, would have to include The Return of Ringo, Keoma and The Big Gundown.

I'm not so keen on the more comedy SWs that spawned from the evil "Trinity" films.  But there are many superb SWs out there - even some of the lesser known ones (check out Johnny Yuma for instance).

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2005, 04:20:37 PM »

Yea, I want to check out Hellbenders, The Hills Run Red, Price of Power, and some of the Sartana's and others in the comming months. The screen captures on Shobarys site look good.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2005, 06:00:27 AM »

Added Sartana Your Angel of Death.

I've  had mixed results with following Howard Hughes "Pocket Essentials Spaghetti Westerns" trying to expand my collection of good SW's, what we really need is a "Leone Lovers Guide to Spaghetti Westerns. Hughes is giving a more historical perspective covering the essential SW's of the genre, films that set precedents, benchmarks, big euro/italo box office and not necessarily something we Leone weaned fans would generaly like. I've also with this Sartana film now have reservations about Shobary's list of reviews.

My Criteria:

If I had to compile a list of the Leone Lover's Guide to SW DVD's the below list would be my current "A" list with the most similar in style and quality to Leone at the top and farther down the more they stray, not necessarily in quality but in style. Some touchstones of my criteria would be story, entertainment, humor, cinematography, quality, look, actors, sets, score. This list only includes the the DVD's or VHS tapes of Spaghetti Westerns I've seen to date and I've included the Zapata Westerns also.

Note: A lot of the "A" list features Morricone scores, but beware of Keoma, this Lenoard Cohen/Tiny Tim sounding score is a turn off to some, watch it with the sound off, and subtitles in English on, lol. Supposedly Castellari edited this film with Bod Dylan and Lenoard Cohen playing he was wanting to quote Peckinpaw's "Pat Garret & Billy The Kid" and "McCabe & Mrs. Miller".

Another warning, some of your favorite Leone actors are dubbed by different voice actors, which is kind of hard to take at times, this has been commented on espcially for Gian Maria Volonte in "A Bullet for the General" and "Face to Face", also some of the full lenght uncut films were never dubbed in English so in these segments the actors speak Italian with English subtitles, a small price to pay to see a directors full cut.

The one truely great experience you'll get in watching some of these films is that very same one you felt seeing Leone's westerns for the first time, especially if you originally saw them in the theater, they really bring you back to that initial "WOW" partly because they are so hauntingly familiar and yet different almost like meeting distant relatives that you instantly regognize  as kin.  They look and feel almost like Leone films though they are not. The Almeria scenery and that different style stands out in stark contrast from most of the post SW modern western films we see today. For those of you who were around when the first Leone SW's  came out on thebig screen seeing some of these will be like going back in time.   

Another point to ponder, with Corbucci"s westerns is the varying range in quality and production values. Great Silence is way better than Django and The Mercenary & Companeros are light years better that TGS.

The "A" list so far:

The Big Gundown
The Mercenary
Companero's
Death Rides A Horse
Day Of Anger
Run Man Run
Face To Face
The Great Silence
Keoma
A Bullet For The General

The "B" List (worthy efforts):

A Man Called Sledge
A Minute To Pray A Second to Die

The not sure if they are classified as Spaghetti Westerns but likely Euro Westerns shot in Almeria List:

Red Sun
Shalako
100 Rifles

More to come here.

To Stay away from List:

El Condor
Django
Navajo Joe
Captain Apache (the worst so far)
A Bullet For Sandoval (VHS)
Sartana Your Angel of Death

*This list could probably go up into the 100's but I'm not going to be inclined to watching many off the wall SW's, if you drop in on the SW's board you'll hear about a lot of obscure titles. My local rental store has  a VHS of LVC's "Bad Man's River", I'll probably break down and rent it soon and add it here.

Again Feel free to add or comment.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2005, 06:57:23 PM »

Added Price of Power & My Name is Nobody.

I've  had mixed results with following Howard Hughes "Pocket Essentials Spaghetti Westerns" trying to expand my collection of good SW's, what we really need is a "Leone Lovers Guide to Spaghetti Westerns. Hughes is giving a more historical perspective covering the essential SW's of the genre, films that set precedents, benchmarks, big euro/italo box office and not necessarily something we US/North American based Leone weaned fans would generaly like.

My Criteria:

If I had to compile a list of the Leone Lover's Guide to SW DVD's the below list would be my current "A" list with the most similar in style and quality to Leone at the top and farther down the more they stray, not necessarily in quality but in style. Some touchstones of my criteria would be story, entertainment, humor, cinematography, quality, look, actors, sets, score. This list only includes the the DVD's or VHS tapes of Spaghetti Westerns I've seen to date and I've included the Zapata Westerns also.

Note: A lot of the "A" list features Morricone scores, but beware of Keoma, this Lenoard Cohen/Tiny Tim sounding score is a turn off to some, watch it with the sound off, and subtitles in English on, lol. Supposedly Castellari edited this film with Bod Dylan and Lenoard Cohen playing he was wanting to quote Peckinpaw's "Pat Garret & Billy The Kid" and "McCabe & Mrs. Miller".

Another warning, some of your favorite Leone actors are dubbed by different voice actors, which is kind of hard to take at times, this has been commented on espcially for Gian Maria Volonte in "A Bullet for the General" and "Face to Face", also some of the full lenght uncut films were never dubbed in English so in these segments the actors speak Italian with English subtitles, a small price to pay to see a directors full cut.

The one truely great experience you'll get in watching some of these films is that very same one you felt seeing Leone's westerns for the first time, especially if you originally saw them in the theater, they really bring you back to that initial "WOW" partly because they are so hauntingly familiar and yet different almost like meeting distant relatives that you instantly regognize  as kin.  They look and feel almost like Leone films though they are not. The Almeria scenery and that different style stands out in stark contrast from most of the post SW modern western films we see today. For those of you who were around when the first Leone SW's  came out on thebig screen seeing some of these will be like going back in time.   

Another point to ponder, with Corbucci"s westerns is the varying range in quality and production values. Great Silence is way better than Django and The Mercenary & Companeros are light years better than TGS.

The "A" list so far:

The Big Gundown
The Mercenary
Companero's
Death Rides A Horse
Day Of Anger
Run Man Run
Face To Face
The Great Silence
Keoma
A Bullet For The General

A Man Called Sledge
The Price of Power

The not sure if they are classified as Spaghetti Westerns but likely Euro Westerns shot in Almeria List:

Red Sun
Shalako
100 Rifles

More to come here.

Comedy SW's
My Name is Nobody

To Stay away from List:

El Condor
Django
Navajo Joe

*This list could probably go up into the 100's but I'm not going to be inclined to watching many off the wall SW's, if you drop in on the SW's board you'll hear about a lot of obscure titles. My local rental store has  a VHS of LVC's "Bad Man's River", I'll probably break down and rent it soon and add it here.

Again Feel free to add or comment.

Tiger
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2005, 02:17:49 AM »

Cigar joe, just browsing through the post, I noticed some entries mentioned on your Feb 03 update are gone now. Did you deliberatly scrap them or did you accidentily restart from an old version of the list ?

Tiger

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2005, 04:57:11 AM »

Tiger, yea I did restart, I didn't scap any what dropped out on the list Roll Eyes

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2005, 06:19:22 AM »

Tiger, yea I did restart, I didn't scap any what dropped out on the list Roll Eyes

"Tepepa" and "Mannaja" for two.

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2005, 04:30:41 PM »

Ok Thanks Groggy.

They should be on it.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2005, 04:25:47 AM »

Red Sun,Shalako,100 Rifles and El Condor need to be dropped from the list as although some were filmed in Spain they are  big budgetted American financed productions with American directors.However much influenced by the spaghetti's , they should not be mistaken as Italian westerns.
Off the top of my head from the 80+ spaghettis i have so far i would  consider for the "A" list:-
BANDIDOS
FORGOTTEN PISTOLERO
FIVE MAN ARMY
I WANT HIM DEAD
LONG LIVE YOUR DEATH
HILLS RUN RED
SABATA
ADIOS SABATA
LONG LIVE YOUR DEATH
SARTANA
LIGHT THE FUSE SARTANAS COMING
REQUIESCANT
MAN,PRIDE AND VENGEANCE

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2005, 05:21:51 AM »

Ok since I screwed things up a bit I'll re-list scroll down to skip the intro.

I've  had mixed results with following Howard Hughes "Pocket Essentials Spaghetti Westerns" , the Spaghetti Western Web Board, and Shobary's excellent web site trying to expand my collection of good SW's, what we really need is a "Leone Lovers Guide to Spaghetti Westerns.

Hughes is giving a more historical perspective covering the essential SW's of the genre, films that set precedents, benchmarks, big euro/italo box office and not necessarily something we US/North American-Hollywood and 50's-60's TV western watchers based Leone weaned fans would generaly like.

The Spaghetti Western Web Board tends to be more of a mid-nightmovie fan base, camp loving, bad dubbing forgiving, crowd for the most part that loves the Genre.

Shobary's has excellent screen grabs and a rating system that on the 100% to 97% section I wholly agree with (the only one of which I've not seen is "Light the Fuse Sartanna is Comming") After that I've rated some films much higher some films much lower. Shobary is also an excellent jumping off point for exploration.

My Criteria:

If I had to compile a list of the Leone Lover's Guide to SW DVD's the below list would be my current "A" list with the most similar in style and quality to Leone at the top and farther down the more they stray, not necessarily in quality but in style. Some touchstones of my criteria would be story, entertainment, humor, cinematography, historical plausibility, quality, look, actors, sets, score. This list only includes the the DVD's or VHS tapes of Spaghetti Westerns I've seen to date and I've included the Zapata Westerns also.

Another point to ponder, with Corbucci"s westerns is the varying range in quality and production values. Great Silence is way better than Django and The Mercenary & Companeros are light years better than TGS.

The "A" list so far:

The Big Gundown
The Mercenary
Companero's
Death Rides A Horse
Day Of Anger
Run Man Run
Face To Face
The Great Silence
Keoma
A Bullet For The General
Tepeppa

A Man Called Sledge
The Price of Power
Mannaja A Man Called Blade

The not sure if they are classified as Spaghetti Westerns as banjo remarks but likely Euro Westerns or clone influenced American financed shot partly in Almeria List:

Red Sun
Shalako
100 Rifles

More to come here.

A new addition, modern second wave Euro Western that since I was not familiar with the Blueberry comics , therefore not dissapointed at the stray from the material, I liked.

Renegade (Blueberry)

Comedy SW's

My Name is Nobody

Wild Wild West  Spaghetti Westerns similar to the old TV show

Sabatta

To Stay away from List:

El Condor
Django
Navajo Joe

banjo you have an excellent list on the previous post of films to still check out of those I have seen Sabatta and added a catagory above for that one.

I'll eventually make a seperate Zapatta Western list but I've got to compile some viewing of early AW's to get a handel on it.

Again thanks and feel free to add or comment.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 05:26:39 AM by cigar joe » Logged

redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2005, 05:23:29 AM »

To Stay away from List:

El Condor
Django
Navajo Joe

What's wrong with Angel of Death? I mean it's by no means a classic but I'd say it was definately worthy of the B-list.

Quote from: banjo
MAN,PRIDE AND VENGEANCE

Does that really count? Italian, and definately in the SW style, but it's set in Spain so not technically a western.

It's class.
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2005, 07:59:03 AM »

Red Sun,Shalako,100 Rifles and El Condor need to be dropped from the list as although some were filmed in Spain they are  big budgetted American financed productions with American directors.

100 Rifles and El Condor both Jim Brown vehicles. Barquero (1970,Warren Oates/Cleef) being another big  US western in spain.
But..
Red Sun was (Italian/Spanish/French money) Brit director Terence Young (Original Bond film director)
Shalako (Italian/Germany/UK) both have the ingredients for Euro Westerns filmed in spain.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2005, 09:42:20 AM »

Yes,but do you really think that a co-international production directed by a British James Bond director(sorry i didn't check all my facts! ) qualifies as an Italian western? Likewise it is big news to me that among many other great things Sean Connery is now a spaghetti western star,not to mention Ursula Andress!!!.I have yet to see any literature films that refers to these films as being Italian(spaghetti) westerns.Thinking about it i seem to remember Shalako being shown on television recentlly and it was described in a TV guide as being the best British western ever made!!!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM