Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2024, 02:42:01 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Valachi Papers (1972)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: The Valachi Papers (1972)  ( 1448 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« : October 23, 2020, 10:46:43 AM »

I like this film but hate its current state on home video release (I have a Japanese blu that looks terrible). Hopefully, this will be an upgrade: https://www.criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=712893#p712893

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #1 : October 23, 2020, 11:32:15 AM »

The Valachi Papers is included in that budget Charles Bronson 4 movie bluray set. If you'd like I can skim through it and give you a review of the transfer.

I don't think much of this movie, but it's been a long time since I've seen it. Being released the same year as The Godfather was not ideal.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #2 : October 23, 2020, 05:27:40 PM »

If you'd like I can skim through it and give you a review of the transfer.
Please do.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #3 : October 23, 2020, 10:26:11 PM »

The transfer is solid/passable at worst and that could be underselling it a little. It has decent depth and detail, just don't expect perfect black levels etc. It's at least on par with what I've seen from Mill Creek's Noir Archive stuff. If you like this movie but don't love it, the budget Bronson set transfer will be more than adequate, but the discs are mislabeled in a lot of the sets. Disc 1 in my set has the names of all four movies and Disc 2 has the wrong two movies listed -- if that's a dealbreaker just go for the Indicator release.

If you don't own Walter Hill's Hard Times on bluray the Bronson collection is a must own, but I'm assuming you either have the Twilight Time disc or Masters of Cinema release. From what I remember skimming through the Hard Times transfer, it's good enough, but probably won't compare with the aforementioned releases.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines