Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 07, 2023, 04:39:16 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Streets of Laredo (1995)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Streets of Laredo (1995)  ( 589 )
titoli
Bounty Killer

« : November 02, 2020, 04:02:17 AM »

This one has got the advantage of being in three parts instead of  the four of the two previous Lonesome Dove but, if possible, the molasses is even thicker, though concentrated in the last 20-30 minutes. Which is a pity because until Garner is shot it was certainly tighter, undiluted  than the best of the series, with harsh, strong, sadistic scenes (a little boy burned alive!). Garner here takes the role of TLJ and Voigt and, of course, does better than those two, though it has got relatively less screentime. (Garner reveals that he was offered the role later  taken up by Duvall but couldn't accept because the doctors wouldn't let him ride a horse). Quaid is very good as John Wesley Hardin as is Beatty as Roy Bean (both historically reinvented). And good is George Carlin (whom I have never seen before and I've learned he was a stand-up comedian of the Lenny Bruce style, which I don't like) and, of course, Charles Martin Smith playing, as usual, himself. Shepard takes the place of the very good Timothy Scott for the role of Pea Eye and is his usual inept performance: why he should be performing at all has always been a mystery to me, in the two-three movies I've watched him in.  The women: Spacek is unobtrusive, does her job and it's ok. The problem is with  Sonia Braga: she did little for me 15 years before this one (though I never watched her in a movie or a serial) and here is simply ugly. And her role as the mother of the psycho-killer boy helps little to make me forgive her to be on the screen at all. Those interminable last 30' with all their melodrama (Braga has got 3 children: a retarded boy, a blind girl and the psycho-killer. A world record, isn't it?) makes me give a 7/10 instead of a higher rating.

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines