Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 04:45:57 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  BEST SCENE?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BEST SCENE?  (Read 12904 times)
cheem_2000
Road Apple

'With the Wind!'

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2004, 04:34:57 AM »

My best scene? There are so many wonderful scenes. Where do I start? The beginning of course, with the gunfighters waiting at the station with the creaking windmill and pesky fly..Jill's walk through the staion to the town as the camera does that elegant crane shot to show Flagstone...Jason Robards philosophising with Jill.."You know Jill you remind me of my mother. She was the biggest whore in Almeida...and the finest woman that ever lived" Jason Robards sad eyes as he watches Harmonica leave Jill's house  is such a moving scene.  Also Robards' demise in the film was beautifully acted, you really felt he was dying! What a film.

Pedretto Kusani
Road Apple

Dig.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2004, 10:22:07 AM »

A beautiful shot ..
in the trading post, when Harmonica is sitting on the back of the room, and Cheyenne launch / swing  the light  towards him.
And then the light create beautiful shadows on the face of Harmonica. Harmonica's face is in the shadow, in the light, in the shadow, in the light, etc. The music is very intense at this moment.
(i'm french, can someone translate my text in good english plz ?  Smiley  )

Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2004, 10:45:37 AM »

Just watched the movie again. The FRANK/HARMONICA barroom scene is a classic. Just about sums up the entire western genre!

« Last Edit: November 27, 2004, 10:46:07 AM by Belkin » Logged

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2004, 03:05:30 PM »

Pedretto, you did great on the translation.... Only correction Harmonica is sitting on the bar and Cheyenne slides the lantern towards him.  Grin

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
KERMIT
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2004, 01:32:41 AM »

the lantern deal was seriously cool cj. i've had to replay that scene. chuck was cool.

i pick those precious 3-4 seconds when leone's camera fades back to reveal a makeshift, yet perfectly round corrida.

signals western, cheyanne, frank, mr. morton & a host of others are about to be swept into the dustbin of history. exit the western genre.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 01:34:34 AM by KERMIT » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2004, 03:56:20 AM »

i pick those precious 3-4 seconds when leone's camera fades back to reveal a makeshift, yet perfectly round corrida.

signals western, cheyanne, frank, mr. morton & a host of others are about to be swept into the dustbin of history. exit the western genre.

I couldn't describe it better Kermit,  Wink.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
johnbatista
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2004, 08:31:26 AM »

my fav scene is probably the mcbain massacre when mcbain is running to his daughter. i love that shot!

TheBobfather
Road Apple

You Brought Two Too Many

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2004, 01:25:06 PM »

Hmmmm.... Where to start Huh

Well my faves would have to be the McBain massacre, the bar room scene, the 'fly' scene, Harmonicas flash back....I could name many others but those are probably the scenes I've replayed the most!!!  Tongue

CloseUpEye
Chicken Thief

"...Squish you like a wormy apple"

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2004, 09:00:07 AM »

The whole movie is a "best scene"! Wink That's a very good question there and very hard to answer! Ugh!  Wink There are tons! But, ones that really haunt my brain besides the "Keep Your Brother Happy" shootout between Harmonica and Frank with me are....

The pan to see the kid killer is Henry Fonda (first time I saw it, I was going "Oh wow.. holy s**t! No way!!")

The talk between Frank and Harmonica where Harmonica says names and Franks dirtyness is broken by his blue eyes going wide, the cigar drooping, and saying "Who are you?" with that very effective creepy music ("As A Judgement"??) going on

"Someday." as Harmonica leaves Jill. Jill goes out to give the boys some water while the camera pans slowly up to show the train coming, Sweetwater coming into existance. So beautiful, yet bittersweet as the old west is dying out and making it's way to the new.  Morricone's "Jill's America" is playing. I totally admit, I cry or nearly cry every time I see this scene, no matter how many times I see it. I really hits me in the gut.

Morton's look at the painting of the sea going in and out of focus as he dreams of making it to the real sea. I really feel for him, even though he is evil.. as he realizes he is just a puppet for Frank's deeds at the moment.

So many others.....!

Best from Tempe, AZ,
-Tom

« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 09:02:30 AM by CloseUpEye » Logged
Vinnie James
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2005, 02:48:02 PM »

When Harmonica anb Frank talk at the bar.
Frank says something like "when will we arrange or business?" (don''t know the exactly words in the english version)
And Harmonica replies: "which one? we have more than one business"

"Qué nos jugamos?"
"El pellejo."
1armedsixgunner
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2005, 06:12:03 PM »

the bar scene

Harmonica45
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2005, 03:50:44 PM »

-Whole beggining scene with Harmonica and Frank's men
-Final duel
-Cheyenne and Harmonica at the bar
-End of final duel where Harmonica sticks his harmonica in Frank's mouth and Frank remembers right before he dies
-Many more!

Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2005, 05:17:21 PM »

I remember seeing the movie and being in awe at how perfect the shots were, the rhythm/pacing, the music, etc. and how they had the effect that they were meant to have, like being in suspense when the train arrived, being shocked and having the "Holy shit!" reaction to the massacre, feeling sad for Jill, etc. and I think this is the Leone movie with the most poetic, emotional, perfect first and last half hours which, to me, are what make Leone's films unique since they starts from scratch and builds up to a "Battle of the titans" Norse Gods kind of ending. The first half hour of OUATITW paints completely different pictures of different characters and draws them into one thread that leads up to the different strings of endings all at once at the end, yet they all come together as one thread.

Anyway:

-Train waiting/Harmonica's introduction
-Massacre/Frank introduction
-Jill at the train station(Morricone's most emotional music)
-The stop at the "Wagon stop"

-The train scenes involving Harmonica, Frank, Cheyenne and Morton

-The auction(That guy who gets his nose squished was hilarious!)/Harmonica and Frank conversation
-Attempted assassinations on Frank
-Frank arriving at the train/Morton's death
-Frank's arrival and everything on from there, like the duel, the flashback, etc.

Ahh, I should've just said "First half hour, train sequence, last half hour" and left it at that Tongue

rattlesnake Joe
Road Apple

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2005, 03:56:16 AM »

The killing of the kid was masterful and also a very expensive one, as Hollywood never even mentioned he was in this masterpiece when they honoured him years back. Porr good guy Henry Fonda doesn't kill kids. But a master and fav scene of mine.

An urban cowboy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2005, 05:00:39 AM »

Oh God, I can't pick just one.  I'll try to do three:

1) The opening scene
2) The McBain massacre/Frank's entrance (the camera angle revealing Fonda's face is one of the most beautiful camera movements I've seen!)
3) Morton's death scene

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM