Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 07:58:18 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  BEST SCENE?
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BEST SCENE?  (Read 12659 times)
SeanSeanSean
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2005, 08:00:57 AM »

Just too many to pick a few favorites. This film is so watchable from beginning to end.

If it's a revolution, it's confusion
Mr.Cho-Cho
Chicken Thief

Something to do with death

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2005, 09:27:21 AM »

For me it has to be the final showdown. The flashback is just so amazing, what a climax. It might be my favourite scene from any movie ever. Every time i see that i get emotional it so epic, climatic, sensational! Also i remember the first time I saw it which was less than 6 months ago, the hints to that scene through the movie. When harmonica encounters frank on the train, and is in the saloon. I remember thinking what the hell is that, when it got to the final scene i was like Holy Crap!
 The thing about this movie though is that it just contains immense scene after immense scene! It's relentless. I wish I was born 40 years earlier so i cud've been at the cinema during the mcbain massacre and the realisation that it was Henry Fonda. That too is epic.
 This film just adds something new i've fond on each viewing, and I find that this is a sign of greatness.

"You remind me of my mother. She was the biggest whore in Alameda and the finest woman that ever lived. Whoever my father was, for an hour or for a month - he must have been a happy man."
Juan
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2005, 03:37:00 PM »

This is my favourite movie so of course there is more than one scene.

- The beginnig with Harmonica and the 3 henchmen
- Jill at the train station
- The wagon stop
- The duel

deMaie
Chicken Thief

Just saw myself in a Lucky Luke comics, I'm scary

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2005, 06:58:38 PM »

I am always on my knees, nose to the TV when after the
McBain shooting, Frank and his mans get out one by one
from the bushes, chills, chills.
That was the scene I remembered that always stuck with
me after I first saw it.

kress
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2005, 09:36:21 AM »

Oh man, best scene, where do I start?

1. Jack Elam, Woody Strode, and Al Muloch waiting at the train station for Harmonica. Especially the way Elam catches that annoying fly with his gun barrel and then listens to the buzzing. Classic.

2. "And Frank"?, "Frank sent us", "You got a horse for me"?, "Looks like we're shy of one horse", Elam laughs, then Harmonica says: "You brought two too many". Strode's and Elam's faces turn from a smile into a fright and we have the shoot-out.

3. After gunning 3 of the McBains', out of the dust and sand come out 5 guys with cool trail-dusters and with the "harmonica" tune, the camera slowly shifts to show Fonda's face as the main villain. I'm like: "what? Holy cow! This guy plays the hero all the time, and now they've brought him to play a kid murderer?" I was at awe. This scene is one of the best non-showdown scenes of any western, if not the best. Only Spaghetti western non-showdown scene that can rival that is the one in "A Fistful of Dollars" where we see Eastwood come up behind the fog, dust and sand to reveal himself for the final-showdown with Ramon, in the background plays the spectacular trumpet from the theme.

4. Jill arriving at the train station with the excellent emotional score by Morricone and when she walks through the town, and rides through the country side. Excellent scenery.

5. When Jill sees the McBain family laid down next to each other. A very powerful scene indeed that is all about emotions and tragedy.

6. Cheyenne sliding the lantern to show Harmonica's face in the bar. A perfect use of shadows to enhance dramatic effect. This was used quite a lot in film-noir in the 40's.

7. Frank shooting Wobbles in the train. Cheyenne told him: "to keep quiet", but he didn't listen. Guess he paid the price.

8. Cheyenne shooting at one of Frank's henchman with the gun in his shoe in the train.

9. Frank going to see Morton in the train and decides not to shoot him, but to leave him to die in front of the "ocean" he wanted to see (the puddle = ocean metaphore).

10. Harmonica helps Frank when his henchman try to kill him. This is one of the strongest couple of scenes in the film, where each of them knew a final showdown was coming and did whatever they could to reach that final showdown. Even if that meant saving the other one's life in the process. Their deaths would be settled by the two of them alone and none else.

11. Frank riding his horse towards Harmonica, just before the final showdown. Frank finally realizes why he could never be like Morton. He's just a man. An ancient race. This conversation is perhaps the most important piece of dialogue in the entire film and basically shows the end of the western era, the end of the old ways, and the coming of a new era with new, "modern" people who settle things with money instead of the old ways. "Modern" people like Morton have taken over. This means also the end of western times. Another strong point in this dialogue is when Frank tells Harmonica that he knows he'll tell him who he is now. Harmonica replies: "only at the point of dying". Frank replies: "I know". They understand each other perfectly, it has all come down to this final showdown where one of them will die and then all will be revealed.

12. The final showdown of course. It's just perfect. The flashbacks, the pacing, the musical theme, the facial expressions, the looks in their eyes. It all works like harmony. All the pieces come together to create something unimaginably great. Then the lightning-quick draw, Harmonica puts the harmonica in Frank's mouth, an instant before dying, Frank realizes who Harmonica really is.

13. Harmonica saying goodbye to Jill.

14. Cheyenne dying. His death and Frank's death symbolize the end of the old ways, the old era. The end of western times. Even though Harmonica isn't really dead, he is in fact "dead" inside, in his spirit, his mind, his soul. He understands that, and so is everyone else. They all understand their end is here.

Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2005, 08:15:51 PM »

The opening scene where Harmonica takes out all 3.  If you watch this frame by frame on DVD you see just how expert the timing and filmography was. 
The most shocking scene was, and still is, when Henry Fonda shoots the little boy.  As a young kid seeing that in the theater,  I was shocked.  You just don't shoot kids.  At least you didn't in the 60s.
Leone KNEW what he was doing when he picked Mr. Nice Guy Fonda to be a cold hearted  child killer.

Danny
Bandido

People scare easier when they're dyin'

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2005, 06:14:32 AM »

3. After gunning 3 of the McBains', out of the dust and sand come out 5 guys with cool trail-dusters and with the "harmonica" tune, the camera slowly shifts to show Fonda's face as the main villain. I'm like: "what? Holy cow! This guy plays the hero all the time, and now they've brought him to play a kid murderer?" I was at awe. This scene is one of the best non-showdown scenes of any western, if not the best. Only Spaghetti western non-showdown scene that can rival that is the one in "A Fistful of Dollars" where we see Eastwood come up behind the fog, dust and sand to reveal himself for the final-showdown with Ramon, in the background plays the spectacular trumpet from the theme.

Yes, that's my favourite too. I was at the same place in Almeria last summer. You could feel Frank is behind you....

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2005, 04:00:32 PM »

almost every scene is perfect in this movie... but i prefer (so do lots of people i think) the final duel, of course...
Are also for me part of the best sequences ever:
the first scene
Jill at the station
Jill, harmonica and cheyenne in the relay
the death of morton
the killing

That sums it up perfectly for me. The film is fantastic from start till finish.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM