Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 01, 2021, 03:14:20 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Killers (1964)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: The Killers (1964)  ( 587 )
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« : February 01, 2021, 03:44:33 AM »

Combined thread.

Quote from: titoli on February 05, 2011, 03:27:05 PM

The Killers (1964) I saw it first in the early 70's (but probably I'm wrong there, it seems that this got a circulation visa in 1978. The dubbing though seems like it was done in the '60's. I'm curious about the vicissitudes of the movie in Italy) in a cinema and was amazed. I saw it again twice on tv and was amazed again. Today I watched it again on a big screen (but, alas, the italian dvd is fullscreen) and, again, this is still one of my favourite movies. Still I give it only a 9\10 because I don't like Cassavetes, especially in the beginning (his grins while driving are ridiculous) though I like him when he discovers the truth. And I don't like Gulager, who tries his best to portray a nevrotic individual besieged by tics and with sudden violence eruptions but who, to me, looks rather nerdy, especially as he mostly seen shoulder to shoulder with the real thing. I also think that the racing sequence is too long). 

cigar joe

I don't recall ever seeing this film, so I watched it tonight, interesting retelling of the story, now I'll have to go back and watch the original version again, and possibly search out Hemingway's short story. I won't give it as high a rating as titoli, though.  Aside from Marvin, Akins, and Dickinson I really didn't like any of the characters.

Cassavetes again looks like a demented Jerry Lewis grinning and slightly cross-eyed. I just can't take his character seriously. The racing sequences are way too long (but I'm not a racing fan so it may be different strokes for different folks) and TV production values pale this film in comparison to the 46 version. Again for me the look of the stylized Noir lighting and sets just puts the original in another class, its worth a look to see Ronald Reagan playing a crook entertaining 7/10.

drinkanddestroy

Eddie showed the 1964 remake of The Killers on Noir Alley, I posted the intro/outro in the thread for the 1946 film
http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=11346.msg202225#msg202225

« : February 01, 2021, 03:46:47 AM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Anna93
Road Apple

« #1 : February 05, 2021, 05:33:40 AM »

Only LEE MARVIN could float ANGIE DICKINSON with such a cut. Not for long, fortunately for viewers. "THE RUN FROM ALCATRAZ" is right on the horizon.
No one else in their right mind could resist ANGIE. You can't take your eyes off her.
There's not a scene where you can figure her out. What is she thinking about? What is she up to? Awesome!
Lee Marvin is also absolutely brilliant. It's cool that they'll both be working together again in John Boorm's
ALCATRAZ" by John Boorman.
Great duet.

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines