Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 22, 2021, 10:02:02 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Vayas con Dios, Gringo (Go with God, Gringo) (1966)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Vayas con Dios, Gringo (Go with God, Gringo) (1966)  ( 188 )
titoli
Bounty Killer

« : February 20, 2021, 10:10:54 AM »

Stagecoach in the roman countryside. A gang of about to be hanged criminals manages to escape and starts travelling in a stagecoach. One by one they'll die and only Saxson and Sanchez will survive, Saxson managing to avenge his brother. This would be good thanx to the actors, especially Berti as one of the villains, but Saxson is good too and I do not share in the criticism about him: What one should say about a Steffen, then? I give this a solid 6/10 for the over the top scene of the mexican gang chasing the stagecoach while the occupants play poker and throw dynamite at the bandits without bothering to aim: the kind of action which defines the genre.   

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #1 : February 20, 2021, 10:50:56 AM »

I give this a solid 6/10 for the over the top scene of the mexican gang chasing the stagecoach while the occupants play poker and throw dynamite at the bandits without bothering to aim: the kind of action which defines the genre.

Not really.
It is a rather idiotic scene in a film which up to that point is surprisingly good. Luckily Mulargia finds his way back to a solid end after this. One of those litttle Spags which should be known better.

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #2 : March 09, 2021, 01:38:35 AM »

Actually the first 55 mins are very good, very atmospheric and well directed. But then, after the Berti part is finished, the film does not really know hot to proceed further, how to bring the stagecoach-escapee story and the background story of the first scene together. The scene with the attack on the stagecoach is surprisingly silly and a not welcome shift in tone. After that Mulargia returns to the revenge part with an conventional ending which is not bad, but also far from the level of the first hour.

Mulargia had a natural talent for westerns, and made with El puro the masterpiece of the unknown underworld of the sub-genre, but I also got the notion that he wasn?t too much  interested in his films. He made them as they came. Vayas con dios would have benefited here and there from a bigger budget, but the main problem is that Mulargia most likely did not work enough to make the diamond really shine. 7/10 but it could have become a 9

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines