Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 30, 2020, 06:50:20 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Maverick
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Maverick  ( 2451 )
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« : August 20, 2009, 06:17:35 PM »

Been watching this series on Netflix streaming video the first season was ok the first show of the second season "The Day They Hanged Bret Maverick" is what I remember was the essence of the series very picaresque, there is even a sequence where Bret is taken out of town in his coffin, now where have we seen that before?

Maverick was a part of a series of three Westerns that rotated one every three weeks, Maverick (James Garner), Cheyenne (Clint Walker), and Sugarfoot (Will Hutchins)

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #1 : August 20, 2009, 10:11:04 PM »

Wikipedia tells me that in Season 2 there's an episode called "Duel at Sundown" that features Clint Eastwood as the villain.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #2 : November 16, 2009, 05:41:50 AM »

I'm working through the second season now. This is my routine I'll check what's on and what's scheduled and if none of that looks interesting I'll go to Netflix and sit down to one or two 49 minute episodes of Maverick. Both Garner and Kelly do wonderful jobs in their rolls as gamblers and sometimes confidence men roaming around the West, some episodes are ok but others are just outstanding and you can see that the network didn't crimp on expenses putting it together. Some times the plots have these wonderful twists and turns that can keep you guessing. They are not up to film production values but they are a fresh break from what Hollywood was outputting and having these episodes on your TV with recurring familiar characters (and also familiar characters from Western film) gave Western films a run for the money.

An episode called "The Spanish Dancer" had Slim Pickens in a very small role. In "Shady Deal At Sunny Acres" John Denher has a big part. Contrast these episodes with your typical John Wayne vehicle and Wayne's films come off as ponderous and preachy while Maverick looks hip and irreverent.

TV mortally wounded the Hollywood Western, and then too much TV almost killed the genre.

Anybody that has Netflix should give Maverick a go.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #3 : November 19, 2009, 07:46:33 AM »

Season 2 "Duel at Sundown" Garner visits Sundown and his old buddy Edgar Buchanan. Buchanan wants Garner to woo his daughter who is involved with Eastwood, who is himself involved with the town round heels and only wants to marry Buchanan's daughter for the ranch she will inherit. Eastwood is fast on the draw and challenges Garner who isn't. John Wesley Harding arrives in town looking for Maverick and Maverick shoots him down in the street (its really his brother Bart who he has payed $500 dollars to do it and fake a death). This show in the street convinces Eastwood to leave town. Not a good Maverick one of the average ones.   

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #4 : November 19, 2009, 08:19:45 AM »

Season 2 "Duel at Sundown" Garner visits Sundown and his old buddy Edgar Buchanan. Buchanan wants Garner to woo his daughter who is involved with Eastwood, who is himself involved with the town round heels and only wants to marry Buchanan's daughter for the ranch she will inherit. Eastwood is fast on the draw and challenges Garner who isn't. John Wesley Harding arrives in town looking for Maverick and Maverick shoots him down in the street (its really his brother Bart who he has payed $500 dollars to do it and fake a death). This show in the street convinces Eastwood to leave town. Not a good Maverick one of the average ones.   
Does Clint come off suitably bad-ass?

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #5 : November 19, 2009, 08:34:28 AM »

About as bad ass as he does on Rawhide, lol.

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines