Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 07:29:00 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  For a Few Dollars More (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Carpenter
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Carpenter  (Read 5967 times)
Blondie
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2004, 01:04:29 PM »

I was just wondering. Does anyone know if the carpenter Indio talks about in his story is the cell mate he kills when he is broken out?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 04:31:45 PM »

Yes. and he takes his small model of the cabinet that conceals the safe at the El Paso bank. Have you seen the movie? its pretty apparent what happens, but the caveat is you may have seen some cut version on TV. If you like these films you must track down the uncut versions.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Man with no dame
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 08:02:26 AM »

I was just wondering. Does anyone know if the carpenter Indio talks about in his story is the cell mate he kills when he is broken out?
  Why else would you kill your cellmate on your way out the door? Unless Indio was trying to quell a sexual tryst the 2 may have had. By the way, how did this carpenter manage to spirit into jail a model of that cabinet?

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 08:14:35 AM »

By the way, how did this carpenter manage to spirit into jail a model of that cabinet?

Because I've just watched that scene, I can tell you he obviously made it in the jail. He's working on it with a piece of stone even right before Indio's men arrive. I guess he remembered it quite well, considering he made the cabinet himself and was haunted by the memories of it, so he could make it just following his memory.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Man with no dame
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 08:16:39 AM »

That would take some memory to make it to scale.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 09:11:32 AM »

That would take some memory to make it to scale.

Well, it would, but don't forget he made the original. And maybe it wasn't the only one, maybe he made more of them for other people.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 07:00:31 PM »

I'm guessing that Indio ordered/persuaded him to carve it, so that he'd have a handy reference to use when going after  the real thing. That Indio! He always knows how to get the best out of someone before killing him.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
Man with no dame
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 07:04:51 PM »

Well, it would, but don't forget he made the original. And maybe it wasn't the only one, maybe he made more of them for other people.
I'm guessing that Indio ordered/persuaded him to carve it, so that he'd have a handy reference to use when going after  the real thing. That Indio! He always knows how to get the best out of someone before killing him.
  Wouldn't a simple sketch have sufficed. I know it would be tedious in jail, but why tell your cellmate about your dream caper? Undecided

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 08:40:10 PM »

Maybe Indio was taking a shop class at the prison.  He sure wasn't waiting for automobiles to be invented so that he could make license plates for them...

Man with no dame
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 08:50:44 PM »

Indio didn't strike me as ambitious enough to do any kind of work detail while imprisoned. The first shot of him is in repose. And he tends to lounge about in the whole movie(possibly from the effects of those notorious "cigarettes" he smoked). Doubtful the prison bulls would get much work out of him.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 01:22:00 AM »

Wouldn't a simple sketch have sufficed. I know it would be tedious in jail, but why tell your cellmate about your dream caper? Undecided

I guess the carpenter was so crazy about it that he had to talk about it (yes, there are such people, I think.) And he probably had no paper in jail.

Man with no dame
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 05:55:31 AM »

I guess the carpenter was so crazy about it that he had to talk about it (yes, there are such people, I think.) And he probably had no paper in jail.
  I would think paper would be easier to get your hands on than wood.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 08:46:37 AM »

It seemed to me like a stone or brick or something - the same white thing the whole prison was made of.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 03:14:59 PM »

In a 19th Century prison? I would think just the opposite.

And the carving is not for Indio's benefit alone. He needs a model to show his cohorts. Some of those guys (Slim, for instance) don't appear all that bright, and a diagram might just confuse them.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2007, 04:31:31 PM »

In a 19th Century prison? I would think just the opposite.

And the carving is not for Indio's benefit alone. He needs a model to show his cohorts. Some of those guys (Slim, for instance) don't appear all that bright, and a diagram might just confuse them.

Grin Funny, but so true!  Grin

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM