Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 30, 2022, 10:25:45 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Batman (2022)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: The Batman (2022)  ( 483 )
titoli
Bounty Killer

« : April 22, 2022, 04:32:11 PM »

A candidate for worst Batman ever (a toss-up with Batman And Robin). 165' for a plot that could have been shortened easily by half. No humor. No action: worst car chase I can remember and final scene worthless. Apparently Catwoman must not be pretty nowadays. So what's left? Nothing of the franchise : Batman could easily find a substitute in any action hero. The photography is mediocre (though I saw a bad copy), the score annoying. Of the cast only Turturro is up to task. 4-5/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

« #1 : April 26, 2022, 09:01:38 AM »

Can't be the same movie titoli saw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B90ic2iKDo

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #2 : June 01, 2022, 09:19:08 AM »

Steelbook in da house! Digital movie code . . . redeemed! I guess I'm ready to re-watch the 3-hour feature and the two hours of extras.

Nah, I'll just watch this again instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B90ic2iKDo

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #3 : June 01, 2022, 09:26:42 AM »

Although, I gotta admit, this one might be better value for the money: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MOFBV_TnO4

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #4 : June 01, 2022, 03:58:21 PM »

Was anyone else reminded of the opening of FAFDM by the 95-second shot that begins this movie?

In both scenes we get an assassin's POV and hear him making noise while observing the area containing the intended victim. Both scenes use a single take.

There are differences, of course. In Leone the camera is locked down, in TB the camera pans all over the place. In Leone the scene continues until the man is killed and the credits roll. In TB a brief title card is used before the opening shot, and the victim isn't killed until several shots later. But the concepts are the same.

An intended homage? Or just another example of SL's all-pervading influence? I wish there were a Q&A I could attend to get to the bottom of this.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #5 : June 02, 2022, 07:12:40 AM »

Well spotted. More generally, from the "philosophy" of the filmmaking of The Batman, I'm ready to bet Sergio Leone was a big influence on Matt Reeves.

A quick Google search didn't give me anything about The Batman but still led to:

"There are a couple of reasons for that. One is that I shot on a new system ? we shot on an Alexa 65. I wanted the movie to be, like, a widescreen movie like a David Lean movie, or a [Sergio] Leone movie, and see the apes against the landscape of the planet. What I've been excited about from the beginning was the idea of taking cutting edge technology and mirroring that with traditional forms, with the idea of myth, and a really classical story. So you'd have this odd experience of seeing something that felt very rooted, a kind of timeless story, and yet the uncanny aspect of there being these apes that are playing out that drama. And so on this one, I wanted it to be a very epic-scale movie, but still very intimate."

"I was very affected by the way Sergio Leone alternated wide shots with these super-tight close-ups. I wanted to make 'War' more classical, almost like a western. On one level, the spectacle has to do with seeing our characters being dwarfed by the landscape, which I find very moving."

Matt Reeves about War For The Planet Of The Apes
https://www.slashfilm.com/871717/matt-reeves-borrowed-from-a-western-master-while-making-war-for-the-planet-of-the-apes

« : June 02, 2022, 07:14:26 AM noodles_leone »

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #6 : June 02, 2022, 11:09:46 AM »

On further reflection, I'm beginning to think The Batman is Reeves' answer to OUATITW.

Beside the opening let's-say-SL-inspired shot, there are any number of cinematic references and quotations throughout the film. The one that immediately struck me in the cinema was the exchange between Bats and Riddler in Arkham asylum--it's a direct quotation from the ending of Kurosawa's High and Low. Given the plot, of course, there are also a number of borrowings from Se7en and Zodiac. Reeves in interviews talks frequently of Taxi Driver. I've yet to see anything in the film that reminds me of Scorsese, though, with the exception of a little gun that slides down the Batman's arm on command (not to fire bullets with, but to launch his climbing hook). Another thing: there's a deleted scene where Batman visits the Joker (again in Arkham) where Bats tries to get one psycho to help him chase down another---hmmm, seems like I've also seen that idea somewhere before. I'm sure a more exhaustive study will turn up many more quotes and references.

Interestingly, whereas SL used his quotes to establish the genre bona fides of his western, Reeves seems to have quoted from films not in the superhero genre, as if he were trying to establish that his film need not be confined to the comic book ghetto, but could move about in the general population.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #7 : June 04, 2022, 06:42:28 AM »

Cronenberg's take:

He told me that he?d recently screened the new ?Batman? movie, out of respect for its star, Robert Pattinson, whom he worked with on ?Maps to the Stars? and ?Cosmopolis.? ?I thought that Rob was an honorable Batman,? Cronenberg said. ?I don?t want to say anything more than that, because I?ve already made my position on superhero movies clear and been attacked for it.? (His position: that people who revere Christopher Nolan?s ?The Dark Knight Rises? don?t know ?what the fuck they?re talking about.?) But in the end he couldn?t help himself. ?It?s basically an adolescent power fantasy, and that?s its essence,? he said, of the new installment. ?You can?t get away from that, and it limits it in terms of emotion and power and intellect.?
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/persons-of-interest/david-cronenbergs-dreams-and-nightmares

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines