Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2021, 03:16:48 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Film Noir elements in 'Once upon a time in America'
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Film Noir elements in 'Once upon a time in America'  ( 4921 )
Leonegeek
Chicken Thief

Leone is god

« : November 21, 2004, 07:38:52 AM »

I'm a huge Noir buff, and a huge Leonegeek, for me 'O.U.A.T.I.A.' is where the two
passions meet. Any Noir fans out there who detect the Noir elements in Leone's last
masterpiece?

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

« #1 : November 21, 2004, 10:24:46 PM »

no expert on noir... nor do i really understand what it means to have noir elements... but a couple elements i would like to think really are noir elements...

... the fact that it starts off with a flashback from a troubled man to the 4 dead bodies obviously after some sort of heist.... or was it 3... can't remember.

... the coming out of hiding element to de niros character

... the cut-throat "get rid of joe... get rid of you" stuff

... the hitmen always lurking in the shadows... like in the scene where joe tells the "life is funnier than shit" story

Like i said i could be wrong... just some guesses... sometimes i like to think i know more about film than i really do so feel free to bash away if i'm wrong... I've just seen films that were supposedly film-noir and these are the kinds of things that reminded me of those films.

« : November 21, 2004, 10:25:31 PM grandpa_chum »

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
PigsCantFly
Road Apple

Owa owa ooo, wow wow wow

« #2 : November 21, 2004, 10:51:02 PM »

I haven't seen many noir films, but I would definately classify this as noir due to the films pessimistic attitude. The films "hero" kills, rapes and generally acts like a bad person alot of the time, despite having our sympathy and the film ends with the discovery of a betrayal by the James Woods charachter.
The only noir element I would say the film lacks the femme fatale character, as the men in the film manage to make sure they live in emotional pain pretty easily by themselves.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

« #3 : November 22, 2004, 12:08:07 AM »

eh, i can't imagine calling any film that isn't black and white noir... it's just hard

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

« #4 : November 26, 2004, 08:52:52 PM »

Almost all crime films have noirish elements.   OUATIA is no exception.   The flashback, the roll of the soundtrack... bunch of things.  It's not a noir, but you can tell Leone loved them.

More feeling.
Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

« #5 : November 27, 2004, 04:08:22 AM »

Terrific FILM NOIR series on BBC2 at the moment. It's bin' running for over a week now. Last night was the amazing THE BIG COMBO, with the one n' only LEE VAN CLEEF.
This afternoon is noirish CRACK-UP.

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

« #6 : November 27, 2004, 02:49:27 PM »

Terrific FILM NOIR series on BBC2 at the moment. It's bin' running for over a week now. Last night was the amazing THE BIG COMBO, with the one n' only LEE VAN CLEEF.
This afternoon is noirish CRACK-UP.
My noir collection is right next to my Spaghetti Western collection...

More feeling.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #7 : November 28, 2004, 05:22:13 AM »

Yes I think OUTIA is very noir-ish, the classics are all in B&W but there are some modern contenders that are right up there and OUTIA is one, along with David Lynch's Blue Velvet, Mulholland Dr., Fire Walks With Me, Lost Highway, Wild At Heart, also include Angel Heart, and Pulp Fiction, Reservior Dogs, Jackie Brown, I'd also throw Fargo on the list, 7even and A Simple Plan. I'll probably come up with others. ;)

I really like authors John D McDonald, Raymond Chandler, Ross McDonald, James Elroy, too.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines