Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 04:19:01 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Tips for Choosing Threads for Your Coverstitch Machine
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2] 3
: Tips for Choosing Threads for Your Coverstitch Machine  ( 3517 )
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #15 : August 25, 2022, 11:27:18 AM »

Those dipshits have to be right every now and again. Broken clock.

Though it's tied with OUATITW for me.

In France OUTITW was much bigger than GBU at the time, and is a kind of a landmark up there with 2001 and Gone With The Wind. But nowadays, especially among younger generations, I meet much more people who like GBU than OUATITW.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #16 : August 25, 2022, 11:37:28 AM »

MNIN is 100% Leone. It's very simple: half the film was directed by Valerii, half by SL himself. The stuff Leone directed (the slapstick) was an attempt by him to do something that didn't have his usual signature. Needless to say, non-Leone looking stuff directed by Leone is still Leone material. Valerii's stuff all looks like Leone shot it. Needless to say, non-Valerii looking stuff directed by Valerii to look like Leone becomes, in a Leone production, Leone material (by definition). Directors are sometimes auteurs; producers are sometimes auteurs. The auteur of MNIN is Sergio Leone.

Funny thing about this argument: anything noodles_leone offers in rebuttal is wrong.

The Valerii stuff that imitates Leone style is still not really what Leone would have actually done. You're making the case that half of the SW ever done should have "25% directed by Sergio Leone" in their opening credits.

You better be able to corroborate this, or you'll be in for a serious ass-kicking.

The other day I found a post by CJ on a 2003 thread on this very web board.

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=257.msg2158#msg2158

I found that list interesting because although there are movies on this list CJ rarely talk about nowadays and others that obviously stayed in his heart to this day.

« : August 25, 2022, 11:43:02 AM noodles_leone »

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #17 : August 26, 2022, 12:35:19 AM »

FAFDM is the best.

GBU and OUATITW are great. Probably in that order.

OUATIA is incredibly great and incredibly flawed

FOD is terrific, shows what a talented auteur can do with a tiny budget. I disagree with n_l about its rewatch value. It?s still great fun. Not as great as FAFDM, but even I can?t watch FAFDM exclusively.

DYS is easily the worst of the six. Still not a bad place to be, last on the list of six of the greatest movies ever.

Also, n_l is OBJECTIVELY more senile than Joe Biden.

« : August 26, 2022, 08:07:09 AM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18 : August 26, 2022, 03:20:31 AM »

FOD is the best.

GBU and OUATITW are great. Probably in that order.

OUATIA is incredibly great and incredibly flawed

FOD is terrific, shows what a talented auteur can do with a tiny budget. I disagree with n_l about its rewatch value. It?s still great fun. Not as great as FAFDM, but even I can?t watch FAFDM exclusively.

DYS is easily the worst of the six. Still not a bad place to be, last on the list of six of the greatest movies ever.

Also, n_l is OBJECTIVELY more senile than Joe Biden.

You meant FAFDM at top no?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #19 : August 26, 2022, 08:07:36 AM »

Whoops, thanks. Fixed!

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #20 : August 26, 2022, 08:31:43 AM »

Drink, have you ever enumerated your reasons for liking FAFDM so well? If so, please give me the link. If not, why don't you do that sometime?

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #21 : August 26, 2022, 11:42:31 AM »

Drink, have you ever enumerated your reasons for liking FAFDM so well? If so, please give me the link. If not, why don't you do that sometime?

I think you said it all when you mentioned how gritty it is.

The look, the feel, the production design, I love the sets, it has a great performance by Volonte and doesn't have any scenes that drag on a bit too long and should be trimmed, as GBU does IMO like with the desert scene.

It's not a knock on any other movie. They're all great. You used the best possible word in "gritty." Merci

« : January 16, 2023, 01:07:13 PM drinkanddestroy »

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #22 : August 26, 2022, 04:47:18 PM »

It?s not a knock on any other movie. They?re all great. You used the best possible word in ?gritty.? Merci
I think you're confusing me with PowerRR.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #23 : August 27, 2022, 05:43:13 PM »

I think you're confusing me with PowerRR.

Now I think you are confusing PowerRR with n_l  ;D

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #24 : August 28, 2022, 03:13:18 AM »

It was a joke. The topic is full of inside jokes and wrong rankings.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #25 : August 28, 2022, 11:19:04 AM »

Yeah, here's another one. I'm going to introduce a new topic that should get its own thread.

But Drink, look, I'm purposely NOT putting it in a fresh thread, I'm running it in this one.

Geddit? I'm putting a new, totally unrelated topic in this thread, and I'm doing it intentionally!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XO-JaKHdmg&t=608s

This list isn't bad, and is, at least, a good discussion starter. There are some things here I'm sure we're all going to disagree with. Did Battlefield Earth actually ruin the use of Dutch angles? For that to be true, people would have actually had to SEE Battlefield Earth. I know I didn't.

Also, just because something isn't used well in one film, or overused, does that necessarily mean it can never be put to better use somewhere else? I Don't Think So.

So, I'm pretty sure we're going to see Dutch angles again, maybe even used in very impressive ways.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #26 : August 28, 2022, 07:17:26 PM »

It was a joke. The topic is full of inside jokes and wrong rankings.

You are correct. Anyone who rates FAFDM below #1 is OBJECTIVELY giving it the wrong ranking.

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #27 : August 29, 2022, 01:56:10 AM »

Yes, FaFDM is definitely the best FaFDM film I have ever seen. # 1 of all FaFDMs

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #28 : August 29, 2022, 06:39:45 PM »

How do others feel about the term LCU: Leone Cinematic Universe? I'm not happy with it myself, because what Leone did in fact was originate a cinematic multi-verse. How else to explain Mortimer and Angel Eyes, two very different characters inhabiting the same atomic structure? Also, it's clear from Jill's hair that OUATITW is set in 1968, an alt-68 where the U.S. never had a civil war. And don't get me started on The Man With Three Names . . . .

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #29 : August 30, 2022, 02:01:11 AM »

I'm totally fine with LCM then.
Should we rebrand FoD as "FoD: into the multiverse"? I don't think CoR is canon.

« : August 30, 2022, 02:04:05 AM noodles_leone »

: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines