Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 05:35:42 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Greatest single moment in a Leone film
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Greatest single moment in a Leone film  (Read 25428 times)
Johny_Exhale
Bandido

"Now, I believe only in dynamite"

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2005, 02:40:39 PM »

Tuco looking for the grave and he final three-way showdown

the showdown really took me into a zone, it lifted me up, the cutting, the music, everything
when it was done it felt like i had just woken up from a really really good sleep, confused about where i was yet fit and happy, it put a smile on my face

200.000 Dollars is alotta money
Film-Junkie Zach
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2005, 07:43:50 PM »

ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA:
The Way Noodles Sees Things

A FISTFUL OF DYNAMITE:
Juan freeing The Prisoners

ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST:
The showdown between Frank and Harmonica and the flashback sequence

THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY:
The battle on the bridge and The Mexican standoff

FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE:
El Indio's bandits beating the snot out of Van-Cleef and Eastwood

A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS:
Eastwood confronting the four men

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2005, 05:05:47 PM »

One of my life's regrets is having missed this movie as a teen. I was barely 11 when the movie was released and was barred from it as you had to be 14 to be admitted in the theatre (probably because of the dirty words). I saw it the first time when I was in my twenties and wasn't impressed as I was to be later.
 I must say that I'm still not impressed by the scene of the dying soldier, probably because his suffering looks too studied and the gesture of Biondo only to be too expected. On the contrary, the scene just before the extasy of gold, as altready noted,  always manages to come unexpected in its resolution. And Morricone's score which follows is what it is.
But another scene which impresses me is the one of Tuco buying himself a gun. With few, if any words, all of it playing on the magnifying of acts and objects and expressions which one may find only in some  experimental movies.
Talking about other movies, I would like to mention the final duel of FAFDM and the "hats" duel in the same (another silent scene) and the kinsky-van cleef confrontation (kinsky was never any better). The first duel of FOD. The opening sequence of OUTW until the first shooting. And probably what is the most intense close-up of the entire  Leone's flmography: that of Coburn's face in the mirror in the bar waiting to revolve around and start shooting: each time I see that scene I'm moved (in spite of the fake torture signs on his friend's face: wich reminds me of the dying soldier's scene).  Coburn was not a great actor, but he sure had a great face.

Beebs
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2005, 01:58:57 PM »

Personally I like the scene where Clint is counting up his money of rewards in FFDM and THe colonel's conversation with him.
Classic
but nothing can beat the last part of GBU when the show down at the cemetary.  Everytime i see it I get goosebumps.
Morricone's music is also amazing and hightens the moment that makes it such a moving scene.
Esp. when the flash back and forth through all the characters eyes hand on their guns and faces.

Uomo_senza_ nome
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2005, 10:59:54 AM »

For anyone who have seen the new restored version of gbu. My favorite scene is when angel eyes visits the confederate camp site, and he se'es how insane the war is. Angel eyes shakes his head a little, showing us that he's not all evil

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2005, 10:49:23 PM »

GBU: Ecstacy of Gold scene

And when Tuco greedily handles the gold coins and looks up, then stand, up framing himself in the noose

cheem_2000
Road Apple

'With the Wind!'

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2005, 10:20:43 AM »

There are so many great moments in Leone's films but here are just a few I would like to mention.
In a Fistful of Dynamite when Sean wakes up in the coach and looks around to discover that Miranda's gang have made an altar of Mesa Verde...the camera glides along parallel to Sean as he steps out of the coach and realises he is in the middle of the Spanish desert. The music and the camera angles are just perfect.
And from the same film the flashbacks in Ireland of course.

Alan Shearer 9
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2005, 08:31:58 PM »

I actually think the scene in OUATI America where Noodles is in the opium den and then has the dream with the phone ringing is up there with Leone's best stuff, the way the first phone is picked up and then the ringing continues is particularly well done.

Beebs
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2005, 06:30:37 PM »

I also love the look on Mortimer's face when he is in the showdown. Kind of on the verge of tears but assertive.

Also the way he says, "Leave Indio to me"

also also, Clint's grimess at Chico's body amoungst the crushed barrel. Sort of an "Eat that you pig"

And last but not least, Don Miguel's deathly surprised/ amazed/ scared look as he stares at Clint emerging from the smoke.

Domi
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2005, 06:36:46 AM »

- I love the scene where Angel eyes reaches the farm in the beginning ... with morricone's "The Sundown"...

- The scene where Tuco and Blondie leave the monastery and Clint offers Tuco a sigar ... and then that awesome piece of music ...

- The Ecstacy Of Gold

- The Trio: best scene ever !

I'm quite sure I will never love a movie as much as I like GBU...

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2005, 11:19:31 PM »

A Fistful of Dollars:
The " aim for the heart " scene

For a Few Dollars More:
The hat shooting match, the showdown

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly:
The bridge battle, The Ecstacy of Gold, the three-way showdown

Once Upon a Time in the West:
The massacre, the tavern, Jill's arrival at Flagstone, Morton's death, the showdown

Duck, You Sucker:
The freeing of the prisoners, the massacre at the cave

Once Upon a Time in America:
Patsy eating the cake, the train station, the garbage truck, the smile at the end

cheem_2000
Road Apple

'With the Wind!'

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2005, 03:37:03 PM »

A Fistful of Dollars No Name and Silvanito riding over to check out why the troops were moving off quietly...great music as they ride and camera cranes over the ledge to show soldiers..notice the versatility of the Morricone score...

For a Few Dollars More Lee Van Cleef casually picking off the bandit . Great editing and music.

The Good The Bad and the Ugly Tuco and his brother and subsequent scene as Clint hands him a cigar ('Well after a meal there's nothing like a good cigar!) Music is sublime

Once upon a Time in the West  The whole opening scene as the gunmen wait for the train. Every scene with Cheyenne especially 'You know Jill you remind me of my mother....the biggest whore in Almeda...the finest woman that ever lived'

'Dynamite': scene previously mentioned Sean coming out of the coach/flashbacks

My Name is Nobody barbershop scene incredible tension and great cinematography and sound effects ie razor scraping on Henry Fonda's face,brush going through the horse's coat, cow being milked.
Fonda entering the Indian graveyard accompanied by Morricone's music very nostalgic, dignified and beautiful.
Nobody shooting the glasses in the bar while downing glasses of whisky. Excellent filming techniques.

Once upon a time in America All the child hood scenes especially when they march with their new clothes from the quay...

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2005, 06:10:15 PM »

My Name is Nobody was a great movie but it's not a Leone movie. Leone thought of the idea, he supervised the director Tonino Valerii, and even directed 2 scenes ( Nobody beating the guys up using the spinning boxer thing and the urinal scene ) but it's not his movie.

iceman
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2005, 06:53:05 PM »

I love the scene in GBU when Blondie surprises Tuco and says  " Were you gonna die alone"...brilliant dialogue and then the music......Fab

ICE

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
cheem_2000
Road Apple

'With the Wind!'

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2005, 02:12:45 PM »

My Name is Nobody was a great movie but it's not a Leone movie. Leone thought of the idea, he supervised the director Tonino Valerii, and even directed 2 scenes ( Nobody beating the guys up using the spinning boxer thing and the urinal scene ) but it's not his movie.
I have to disagree with you slightly because if you watch the film closely it bears the stamp of 'A Sergio Leone film'. The parts of the film I was describing were actually the parts directed by Sergio himself. I think the scene where Fonda rides into the Indian graveyard shot in New Mexico was directed by Valeri. But if you watch the film all the good bits ie the barbershop, Nobody catching the fish with the fly as the credits come up, Nobody talking to Fonda for the first time as he eats bacon and beans, the Indian graveyard where Fonda shoots Nobody's hat off, the glasses being shot in the bar, the first standoff where Fonda and Nobody shoot down Sullivan's henchmen. Nobody hiding behind the dummy and smacking and punching the baddies and of course the final standoff in the street in New Orleans not to mention the elegant and moving shots as Fonda gives his view of The West as he writes to Nobody. Although Sergio may not have had 100% control, those scenes just mentioned all say very emphatically 'A SERGIO LEONE FILM'

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM