Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 02:12:30 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Last Challenge (1967)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Last Challenge (1967)  (Read 2651 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2004, 01:35:45 PM »

Saw this Glen Ford Chad Evertt western on TCM wasn't bad, it was more interesting than a lot of the John Wayne films that keep cropping up. This one came out in 1967 so it had some SW influences. Also had some actors that would later become SW actors, Jack Elam and Authur Kennedy. It also had Angie Dickenson as a sporting house Madam  and Fords love interest and the film has some  realistic behind the barroom scenes of every day bordello operations. Glen Ford was a gunsliger turned sheriff who was a legendary fast gun and he had others showing up to test him. He meets up with Evertt on a fishing trip and they get along good util Everett finds out that Ford is the guy he's looking to beat on the draw.

Now before SW's they would have had a lot of tension between the two and they may have ended up best friends, Everett becomming his deputy or settling down. The SW's influence has them shooting it out to the death then the victor leaves town, no happy ending.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 01:47:30 PM »

I saw that too... but i think i liked Fastest Gun Alive more... another glenn ford movie on TCM... might have even been the same night... Probably the only western that has ever reminded me of a SW and predated SW's all together... made in 1957 and bleeds SW themes... who's faster, challenging faster guns just to thought of as the fastest... and a whopper of an ending and a climactic showdown... it was pretty good.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 07:17:51 PM »

This has one of the saddest endings in western: there are no melodramatics as in The Gunfighter (another inspiration they drew from), no last farewell and predictions, no last words. The beginning was just as good. The problem is they padded up the two ends of the plot. The Elam character is weak and the attempted murder as well. The Indian episode is stomaching. A pity because, as usual, Ford is excellent and Dickinson beautiful (much more than in Rio Bravo). Everett is miscast: he doesn't look either menacing or childish as he opught to. 6\10

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM