Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 12:44:06 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Cinema Speculation (Tarantino book)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2]
: Cinema Speculation (Tarantino book)  ( 2311 )
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #15 : May 01, 2024, 09:52:43 PM »

Here's an excerpt talking about Point Black and The Outfit (and more generally about all the adaptations of Parker novels), but with film clips to help make his points: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krQ3YfGX4AI

While I respect his opinions, his take on Point Blank is completely bizarre. Comparing it to 60's TV is insane. I would say it's the closest thing we have to Leone directing a (non epic) crime film from that timeframe. While it lacks the explosive Leone final action scene, it has that Leone philosophy of every scene being memorable with no wasted opportunities for something interesting to happen on screen at all times. It doesn't have the beats of normal movies.

I'd also argue that Carroll O'Connor's casting and performance was unique in that it wasn't some dastardly evil head of the operation -- rather the crime outfit in this movie is a bloated corporation that is only concerned with the bottom line. Tarantino whiffed on that aspect of it as well, and I wonder if he actually rewatched the movie, and didn't just watch a few clips and then blast the movie from memory. He also has such weird allegiances where he tries to tear something else down to prop up the thing he likes ala John Ford and William Whitney.

As much as I respect QT, he is one of those types that labels the 50's movies as "Doris Day movies", and that may be the single most obnoxious film take I've heard.

« : May 01, 2024, 09:59:33 PM T.H. »

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #16 : May 02, 2024, 01:07:17 AM »

As much as I respect QT, he is one of those types that labels the 50's movies as "Doris Day movies", and that may be the single most obnoxious film take I've heard.
Yeah, his understanding of 50s films is, to be charitable, deficient. And some of the films he enthusiastically endorses leaves me scratching my head. Rolling Thunder? Eh, it's OK, nothing I'd write about at length. Still, even when I don't get where he's coming from, QT can be entertaining.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17 : May 02, 2024, 02:12:13 AM »

Yeah, his understanding of 50s films is, to be charitable, deficient. And some of the films he enthusiastically endorses leaves me scratching my head. Rolling Thunder? Eh, it's OK, nothing I'd write about at length. Still, even when I don't get where he's coming from, QT can be entertaining.

Well, he is first and foremost an entertainer. All of his words, wether they are written on a page, told by him or by a character on screen, have one goal: entertain.

: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines