Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 27, 2022, 01:43:10 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Genius of the Blondie & Confederate Soldier Scene
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2]
: The Genius of the Blondie & Confederate Soldier Scene  ( 1697 )
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #15 : November 13, 2022, 08:06:32 AM »

I saw this video essay on the moral categories of the movie, it's pretty recent, but I think you'll find it has a lot of points in common with your thoughts: https://youtu.be/WH8NoOJ4cF4

That's a very good video.  I saw GBU as a teenager in the theater upon first release, but took me about 3rd viewing to realize that it was really an anti-war film.

Always been my favorite film, and Wallach and Morricone were absolutely outstanding and Academy Award worthy, and then add Leone, editing, and cinematography.....

Jenko Morningstar
Road Apple

Sergio Leone & Comic Book Fan

« #16 : November 14, 2022, 02:00:31 PM »

It's superb. As I've said before, I hadn't watched any other real Western previously, so when I saw it I did it through the lens of the ''action/adventure'' genre. It delivered on that excellently and provided other layers of storytelling that I haven't seen so many times in these movies. The use of tongue-in-cheek comedy, irony, and exaggeration, (many of the jokes are funny to the audience but not to the characters/the good as a greedy person, the ugly's family situation that makes him feel more human/the extreme close-ups, wide shots, the length of the duel, and the ecstasy of gold scene) the social stuff (war aspect), and the way it plays with your emotions and expectations, always presenting you with reversals that are both surprising & logical to their respective situations (Blondie leaving Tuco hanging and then saving him being the most memorable of these for me).

And the way Leone frames all of the scenes we watch on screen, you get the sense that he's in love with the material and takes care of making every shot look good and evoke an emotion from you. Because he's so exaggerated and sophisticated with the composition, in my case it lands really well. The way he pans through Blondie's rifle once Tuco finds him, for example. He makes it look epic even if it's something we've seen a million times before.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

« #17 : November 15, 2022, 08:53:34 AM »

The way he pans through Blondie's rifle once Tuco finds him, for example. He makes it look epic even if it's something we've seen a million times before.
Yes, SL uses his inventive technique to redeem exhausted tropes. All these decades later his work still seems fresh. Contrast this with so much in cinema now that already seems tired.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines