Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 15, 2024, 08:24:45 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Chair de Poule aka Highway Pick-Up (1963) French "Spaghetti" Western Noir
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Chair de Poule aka Highway Pick-Up (1963) French "Spaghetti" Western Noir  ( 421 )
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« : January 30, 2023, 07:46:50 PM »

Chair de Poule aka Highway Pick-Up (1963) French "Spaghetti" Western Noir

Directed by Julien Duvivier (P?p? le Moko, Panique).  Written by Julien Duvivier and Ren? Barjavel (screenplay), adapting a James Hadley Chase novel  "Come Easy--Go Easy."

A little dash of Bad Day At Black Rock, The Postman Always Rings Twice, and Detour. The "good" guy is an escaped falsely convicted murderer who took the rap for his best friend. He becomes an employee and fast friends with a truck stops owner. The Femme Fatale is the owner's wife, supposedly and ex hotel waitress of some sort, wink, wink. Who got off a bus and stayed because it was convenient and there was a wad of cash to keep her there until she figures out a way to get it. It works.

The film just changes the original California / Death Valley-ish local to France but uses the same aesthetics and story. The truck stop, a last chance gas, called the  "Relay de Col" is an Avia station with lunch counter "Chez Thomas," on the arid Col de Vence, a mountain pass through the 10,000 foot high peaks of the Maritime Alps between the Mediterranean coast and the interior. The next gas is 96 kilometers (60 miles) The film also blends in a some nods to the Noir Western Rawhide (about a stage relay station) and enforces this with what sounds like a prescient Spaghetti Western like score.

This is a great Film Noir, the general story is a wonderful riff on other familiar noir storylines and yet they are tossed enough to keep you guessing. Robert Hossein and Georges Wilson are believable as  friends and are both very compelling.

Julien Duvivier and Ren? Barjavel stick pretty much to the Chase novel with some minor changes. Ferisnstance, in the novel Daniel's safecracking partner Paul just randomly drives into the Relay de Col Avia station and meets up with Daniel in a true twist of fate. The locksmith company they worked for suspected that Paul may have been involved with the heist. The company thought it would be better for the company's image if Paul was out selling safes on the road rather near any temptation. Out of site out of mind. In the film Daniel actually sends for Paul to help him get a forged passport and papers so he could get out of the country. It's the least he could do as a favor.

Catherine Rouvel shines. She elevates herself into one of the great Femme Fatales of Noir. Her character portrayal in excellent. She is sexy, gorgeous, devious, and dangerous. She is alluring and it helps that all of her outfits are tight or quite revealing, most notably is what looks like a gold lame halter that becomes sticky and clingy after working in the hot kitchen and serving tables. The halter leaves almost nothing to the imagination.

Jean Sorel always reminds me of a French Robert Wagner, while Lucien Raimbourg and Jacques Bertrand are great as the French hillbillies. 8-9/10.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #1 : February 01, 2023, 03:45:26 PM »

As far as the Spaghetti Western angle, besides the soundtrack there's also a scene between Daniel and Maria reminiscent of the Tuco / Blondie scene at the mission in Sergio Leone's The Good The Bad And The Ugly.

8)

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #2 : February 01, 2023, 05:59:46 PM »

And I can see this how?

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #3 : February 01, 2023, 06:14:31 PM »

Well I got the Gaumont DVD but you can watch it if you put in your browser - Chair de Poule 1963 ok.ru

However there's no subtitles but it's an easy story to follow, if you got questions just ask.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #4 : February 02, 2023, 05:39:27 AM »

Well I got the Gaumont DVD but you can watch it if you put in your browser - Chair de Poule 1963 ok.ru

However there's no subtitles but it's an easy story to follow, if you got questions just ask.
Does the Gaumont DVD have subtitles?

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #5 : February 02, 2023, 07:32:00 AM »

Does the Gaumont DVD have subtitles?

In French but I now use Google lens with my phone. I just pause the film and hold up the phone to the screen blow up the image and voila instant English subtitles.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #6 : February 03, 2023, 02:22:06 PM »

I give you credit for tenacity.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #7 : February 03, 2023, 02:56:19 PM »

I give you credit for tenacity.

Its the only way to watch some titles.

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines