Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2018, 09:32:43 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Classe Tous Risque (The Big Risk) (1959)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2]
: Classe Tous Risque (The Big Risk) (1959)  ( 3467 )
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #15 : February 17, 2017, 11:06:25 AM »

Does anyone have more info on this - maybe one of our French-speaking members? Is it true that the writer of Classe Tous Risques, Le Deuxamme Douffle, and Le Trou was a murdering/thieving/blackmailing Nazi collaborator??? Or is this all "fake news"?

I'll check again some of my french book sources but in the most recent ('90's) nothing of the kind had come up when the talk was about his role in the noir literature and cinema. The talk was generally about his having spent time in jail. So something must have been come up in recent years.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #16 : February 17, 2017, 11:17:08 AM »

Could it be the source? I've just bought a copy. I'll be back and report.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #17 : February 17, 2017, 01:25:38 PM »

My feeling is that he was just a dishonest fellow doing what he had to do to get money (for and against both sides), GBU style.

If someone actually sold people to the Nazis and murdered and blackmailed them, I don't care if it was not ideological but "just cuz he did what he had to do to get money." It's no less bad. I once read,  though I am not sure if it is true, that Eichmann himself, one of the chief architects of the Final Solution, may not have shared Hitler's anti-Semitism but enjoyed the perks of being a top Nazi official. And you know what? It doesn't make me hate him 1 percent less, or make his actions any less evil.

If the wikipedia stuff is true - IF - I don't care about whether it is for money or ideology. Same bad. And he should have gotten the death penalty.

But of course, we first need to find out if it is indeed true.  Unsourced information on Wikipedia is as unreliable as, say, anything on CNN   ;)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #18 : March 10, 2017, 08:55:55 AM »

I've just read the first chapter of the autobiography and Giovanni says he was in prison 11 tears (1945-1956) for having killed his elder brother's murderer. Sure, the 1945 date is suspect but apparently the true facts about his past must be found elsewhere. Great read, though. 

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #19 : March 10, 2017, 11:33:20 AM »

Yeah, this guy's past has to be researched ... Thanks for reporting!

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #20 : March 11, 2017, 01:33:37 PM »

I recommend the reading to everybody interested in the many crime movies connected with Giovanni. There's a welter of anectodes and stories to be found. Anyway, in the second chapter Giovanni says that in 1944 he was hiding in his step-sister's home in Nantes not to be recluted in the forced labor organization of the Vichy regime (STO). Which makes him far from being a delator and a collaborationist.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #21 : March 11, 2017, 06:48:51 PM »

I recommend the reading to everybody interested in the many crime movies connected with Giovanni. There's a welter of anectodes and stories to be found. Anyway, in the second chapter Giovanni says that in 1944 he was hiding in his step-sister's home in Nantes not to be recluted in the forced labor organization of the Vichy regime (STO). Which makes him far from being a delator and a collaborationist.

Firstly, if he was a collaborator I doubt he would say so. He is  probably the last person you can trust on that matter. (Not that  unsourced items on Wikipedia are trustworthy, either.) Secondly,  even if everything he says is true there: how does hiding to get off a work detail in any way conflict with selling out Jews for money? Or having committed murder or blackmail? I don't see how that conflicts in any way.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #22 : March 11, 2017, 10:06:08 PM »

Firstly, if he was a collaborator I doubt he would say so. He is  probably the last person you can trust on that matter. (Not that  unsourced items on Wikipedia are trustworthy, either.) Secondly,  even if everything he says is true there: how does hiding to get off a work detail in any way conflict with selling out Jews for money? Or having committed murder or blackmail? I don't see how that conflicts in any way.

In facts it's all bullshit. The article in the wikipedia page in french explains everything and quotes the source: a magazine article written in 2013. The problem with his past had first come out in 1993 in a couple of swiss newspapers, but he rejected the accusations. In facts the crime which led him to prison was a murder committed after the war was over in May 1945. Sure, he was member of collaborationist organizations but his family was into it before him. BTW his real name was  Joseph Damiani.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #23 : March 11, 2017, 10:12:43 PM »

The "official" version (including his hiding in his step-sister's home) can be read in his site held by his widow:

http://www.jose-giovanni.fr/francais/biographie.html

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #24 : March 11, 2017, 10:16:34 PM »

But what a movie could be made out of the experiences of the french underworld during the Occupation! As I have already written here, extremely valuable are the autobiographical writings of Auguste Le Breton, notably Deux sous d'amour. Apparently frenchies are touchy on the subject, even after 70 years have passed. Pity. 

: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines