Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 07:44:13 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Grindhouse
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grindhouse  (Read 70309 times)
pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2007, 02:46:41 PM »

I suggest reading up on the titles before you rent/buy. I gather many of the members here wouldn't be interested in these sorts of things normally. At least to get a better idea what you're going to see. I remember a friend that was so enamored with Tarantino's films but couldn't be bothered to see where his inspirations sprang from. A lot of QT's dialog exchanges come from these movies too.

more like, most everything QT has ever shot, done and written  Tongue

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2007, 02:52:04 PM »

Yeah, you can say that again! I appreciate his enthusiasm, but I don't know whether to love'em or hate'em for his refusal to try and bring some respectability to the films he loves so well. Similar to what Leone did with OUATITW--his ode to the Hollywood western. He and Argento took their most treasured moments and made them their own. QT never did that.

pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2007, 03:02:34 PM »

yeah, i hear ya man.. for me though, i'm just happy to be seeing someone making these films today- and doing them well. at the same time, this dude is getting tons of fame and respect, and at least in the general public- nobody even realizes that he's just ripping off old movies

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2007, 03:07:58 PM »

I'm just waiting for QT to make a full fledged western movie. He's always talking about how he wants to film his own spaghetti western, but if you know QT, you know he just talks, and talks a lot, and doesn't get things done, so we'll see.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2007, 03:12:50 PM »

I think the one thing that QT said that really burned me up was that he wanted to shoot an old school kung fu movie with intentionally bad dubbing. Why? Supposedly, he pissed off Yuen Woo Ping on the set of KILL BILL and Liu Chia Hui (Gordon Liu) had to finish out the action scenes. But when I saw this in the theater, QT committed a cardinal sin--he had Sonny Chiba, the freakin' STREETFIGHTER (the first film to be rated X for violence alone) and didn't utilize him in the action scenes at all! At the end when Uma was getting beat up I thought for sure Chiba would come rushing in dressed in his famous KAGE NO GUNDAN outfit or his Terry Tsurugi STREETFIGHTER get-up and go to town on the baddies at the last minute. A MISSED and a WHOLLY WASTED opportunity. Sad

pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2007, 03:16:01 PM »

i think the thing that burns me up the most, are the people in the special feature docs, that talk about his ideas for scenes and characters as if they are so original and the flashes of a genius.

the dude is smart, i will not say he isn't, but come on. all one has to do is pop in the movie he ripped off to be completely floored with what he's getting away with

Jon1
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2007, 03:24:54 PM »

i think the thing that burns me up the most, are the people in the special feature docs, that talk about his ideas for scenes and characters as if they are so original and the flashes of a genius.

the dude is smart, i will not say he isn't, but come on. all one has to do is pop in the movie he ripped off to be completely floored with what he's getting away with

QT's always been pretty upfront about his influences I think.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2007, 03:28:45 PM »

Well, he is keeping the genres alive at least with the die hard fans. Most people could care less where he got his inspirations from. Hopefully down the road he'll do something of his own and not an amalgamation. Discounting JACKIE BROWN, probably the only film that isn't pilfered from other pictures although he has claimed it is his blaxploitation piece, it doesn't seem at all like one though. Did you happen to see him hyping this one? Did you notice how his voice suddenly changed to rapper, ghetto speech? Supposedly, he called a waitress the 'N' word a short time after in NY.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2007, 03:38:56 PM »

With his personal clique of friends yes, but he's not going public and say-- "Yeah, well, you know, KILL BILL was really just an almost note for note remake of LADY SNOWBLOOD, and I even used the theme song, too for effect." Nor, "Yeah man, the Vipers, they're just a new version of Ted V. Mikels THE DOLL SQUAD."

Probably the weirdest bit of movie rape occurs when Carradine tells the story of Pai Mei. A true story but not the way Carradine tells it. Pai Mei was actually a traitor siding with the Wu Tang Clan and helped the invading Manchurian forces destroy the Shaolin Temple and any revolutionaries who were against their rule.

Interestingly, Gordon Liu portrayed a character who fought against Pai Mei in the classic Shaw film EXECUTIONERS OF SHAOLIN with Lo Lieh as Pai Mei and also in CLAN OF THE WHITE LOTUS which Lo also directed and played the main white haired villain, a classmate of Pai Mei's.

pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2007, 03:39:15 PM »

i'm not saying he hasn't, and its a good thing that he is, as well as trying to inject new enthusiasm/popularity into the genres...

a lot of the things he's done though kinda go past influence and directly into ripping off, at least in my opinion.. not to say that most of the movies he draws from aren't guilty of this themselves, but most of these movies/makers never gained any popularity or status above the cult crowd...

Jon1
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2007, 03:39:57 PM »

I'm just waiting for QT to make a full fledged western movie. He's always talking about how he wants to film his own spaghetti western, but if you know QT, you know he just talks, and talks a lot, and doesn't get things done, so we'll see.
I'm waiting for Inglorious Bastards....don't think it'll ever get done though.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2007, 03:41:34 PM »

It would be fun to sit down and conversate with him just the same.  Afro

Jon1
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2007, 03:42:33 PM »

With his personal clique of friends yes, but he's not going public and say-- "Yeah, well, you know, KILL BILL was really just an almost note for note remake of LADY SNOWBLOOD, and I even used the theme song, too for effect." Nor, "Yeah man, the Vipers, they're just a new version of Ted V. Mikels THE DOLL SQUAD."
Well I mean are you expecting a step by step dissection of it's infuences immediately following the movie?  The general movie going public doesn't know, mostly because they don't care.  I think most people who follow movies know that he borrowed a lot though.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2007, 03:42:46 PM »

I'm waiting for Inglorious Bastards....don't think it'll ever get done though.

With the cast he had lined up, you'd be better off with the original.

pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2007, 03:44:28 PM »

Well I mean are you expecting a step by step dissection of it's infuences immediately following the movie?  The general movie going public doesn't know, mostly because they don't care.  I think most people who follow movies know that he borrowed a lot though.

you should go watch some of these movies and then gives your thoughts  Wink  it seriously doesnt take a step by step dissection.. a casual viewing of these films is enough

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM