Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2018, 06:37:16 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Grindhouse
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27
: Grindhouse  ( 83347 )
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #360 : October 13, 2007, 07:01:35 PM »

I liked the longer Death Proof. With Planet Terror, though, you don't want the "missing reel" reinserted as it would spoil one of the great jokes in the film (as it stands, before the missing reel, Michael Biehn has something against El Wray and keeps giving him a hard time; afterwards, they're suddenly the best of friends).

You have a point about the missing reel in PLANENT TERROR jenkins. I like the film the way it is now that I think about it. I can't wait to pick this up Tuesday! O0

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #361 : October 13, 2007, 07:04:22 PM »

I liked the longer Death Proof. With Planet Terror, though, you don't want the "missing reel" reinserted as it would spoil one of the great jokes in the film (as it stands, before the missing reel, Michael Biehn has something against El Wray and keeps giving him a hard time; afterwards, they're suddenly the best of friends).

That and you never find out how the BBQ place turned into a flaming inferno.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #362 : October 16, 2007, 08:45:35 PM »

Exclusive to the Best Buy steelbook release of PT is an extra disc with a 25-26 minute Q&A featuring Rodriguez with occasional interjections from Harry Knowles. Probably from the Austin premier. I've transcribed one of the highlights. They had been talking about how the theaters could actually change the grindhouse experience by messing with the prints (usually unintentionally):

The accidents that would happen before didn’t really serve the picture. What if it did? What if you went to a theater that made all the right accidents? Like, you’d be watching a very boring section, there’d be a bad splice, like some action was missing, and suddenly you’re back to the next good part. So I decided to do that, just make the movie all the good parts. And, uh . . . you know the second act, the end of the second act of a movie is always where . . . oh, the good guy is actually the bad guy, the guy you thought was bad is really the good guy . . . and, uh, they’re gonna be fighting the whole movie but at some point they’re gonna fall in love and it will be great for them in the last act. And the main hero, who has a very mysterious past you don’t know about, will finally reveal it at the end of the second act. . . I took out that section [audience laughter] and made it the missing reel.

[Harry Knowles]: But did you film the missing part?

Didn’t even film it.

[Harry Knowles]: So you knew in advance you . . .

I knew in advance I didn’t want to see that shit ever. Because, uh . . . it’s just more bullshit until you get to the third act. Every movie’s the same—the second act is all about “We’ve gotta find the cure, we’ve gotta find the cure” and “I’m starting to get with my girlfriend again. Everyone wondering who I am.” Missing reel. Come back: everything’s on fire, everyone’s just gotta get to Mexico.

[laughter]

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
KevinJCBJK

« #363 : October 17, 2007, 01:34:14 PM »

So I heard they never filmed anything for the "Missle Reel" scene in Planet Terror. That's good news.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #364 : October 17, 2007, 01:48:36 PM »

So I heard they never filmed anything for the "Missle Reel" scene in Planet Terror. That's good news.

Yeah, I was reading about that today. I'm sure it's true.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #365 : October 17, 2007, 02:50:39 PM »

I am too, as Rodriguez himself says so (see above).

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #366 : October 22, 2007, 12:53:07 AM »

While re-watching Planet Terror last week on DVD, several shots reminded me of similar set-ups I'd seen in John Carpenter films, especially Assault on Precinct 13 and Escape From New York. Then, listening to the audio commentary, Rodriguez admitted that he wasn't really doing a 70s movie, he was doing an 80s film. He even acknowledged the debt to Carpenter, going so far as to claim that PT fits perfectly between EFNY and The Thing. Now that I've heard him say that it makes complete sense. Of course, Carpenter was never a grindhouse director, so now we're gonna have to listen to every dickfor complain that R didn't deliver what was advertised. Gee, no, he came up with something better, idiots. ::)

KevinJCBJK

« #367 : October 22, 2007, 07:42:03 PM »

I was laughing so hard when I caught that "Jungle Julia" reference in Planet Terror. ;D

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #368 : October 22, 2007, 08:40:55 PM »

I was laughing so hard when I caught that "Jungle Julia" reference in Planet Terror. ;D

I loved that part!!!

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

« #369 : November 19, 2007, 11:18:59 PM »

I watched this last night and fell asleep and watched it again from beginning to end tonight and although it had some good stuff, I can't help but feel disappointed with it. Lots of action and gore and little homages to past movies and the music was awesome and probably the best thing about the film. It seemed like a couple of cues from HALLOWEEN were tweaked for the film and was very Carpenterish. At 100 minutes, no one character is particularly memorable at least not to me. Maybe it was because everything was so polished and everybody poses constantly throughout. The whole film, as well as the QT one, seem so self-indulgent, posh, crass and arrogant that neither one are as memorable nor as "ambitious" as the films they portend to be nodding to.

Almost done with DEATH PROOF and PLANET TERROR is miles away better at least in terms of what this bloated double feature was supposed to be anyway.

FINALLY finished this near two hour female MY DINNER WITH ANDRE married to DUEL and other car crash/bang'em up flicks. Far more conceited than the other movie, you get damn near 50 minutes of unlikeable drunken women having useless conversation in a bar only to be given (near) 50 more minutes of Rittilin deprived women having more useless conversation before the big car chase finale. Hell, you forget Kurt Russell is even in the damn movie.

Some of it's great, but not enough to recommend this to anybody. What the hell kind of exploitation movie was this supposed to be? No wonder people were walking out of the theaters for this one.

And why the hell does QT have to write two paragraphs of dialog for something that can be said in a few words? This one is brimming with far too much "My name is QT in case you don't remember and my writing is so fucking cool that I'm gonna shove it down your fucking throat in such a way that you'll fucking remember next time in case you fucking forgot!" diatribes that this wasted glob of funds would have been best suited as one of the faux trailers with one of THOSE being the FEATURE PRESENTATION.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #370 : December 19, 2007, 03:28:49 AM »

On March 21, 2008 something called Grindhouse Complete Box will be released in Japan, a 6 disc set. From what I can determine, Discs 1-4 will be pretty much what is available in the U.S. at this point, the extended versions of Planet Terror and Death Proof and their respective bonus discs. Disc 5 will be (wait for it) the 191 minute theatrical cut of the film with all the trailers included. Disc 6 will be an additional bonus disc only available in this new set. At current exchange rates, the box (from amazon.co.jp) will cost about $65.00 US plus postage.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #371 : December 20, 2007, 05:18:03 PM »

Over at criterionforum.org they've posted the details of 6-disc J set. Here they are:

Disc 1: Death Proof (Extended Film)
-English DTS, English DD, Japanese dub
-Japanese subtitles

-Japanese Theatrical/TV trailers
-Staff/Cast Profiles (Text)
-What is Grindhouse? (Text)

Disc 2: Planet Terror (Extended Film)
-English DTS, English DD, Japanese dub
-Japanese Subtitles

-Rodriguez commentary
-International/Japanese trailers
-Staff/Cast Profiles (Text)
-What is Grindhouse? (Text)

Disc 3: Death Proof bonus materials
-Special Message to Japan from Tarantino
-Staff and Cast interviews on Death Proof
-Stunts on Wheels: The Legendary Drivers of Death Proof (20:39)
-Introducing Zoë Bell (8:59)
-Kurt Russell as Stuntman Mike (9:34)
-Finding Quentin's Gals (21:14)
-The Uncut Version of "Baby, It's You" Performed by Mary Elizabeth Winstead (1:48)
-The Guys of Death Proof (8:16)
-Quentin's Greatest Collaborator: Editor Sally Menke (4:38)
-Double Dare Trailer (2:36)

Disc 4: Planet Terror bonus materials
-10-Minute Film School (11:52)
-The Badass Babes of Planet Terror (11:50)
-The Guys of Planet Terror (16:32)
-Casting Rebel (05:34)
-Sickos, Bullets and Explosions: The Stuns of Planet Terror (13:18)
-The Friend, The Doctor and The Real Estate Agent (6:42)

Disc 5: Grindhouse (191 minute theatrical cut)
-English DD, Japanese dub
-Japanese subtitles

Disc 6: Japanese only Grindhouse bonus disc (106 minutes)
-Grindhouse - US Trailer
-2006 San Diego Comicon
-Tarantino Interview (About the homages in Death Proof, About Planet Terror, Use of Music, Possible Sequel to Death Proof)
-Staff/Cast comments
-The Directors of the Fake Trailers
-Coments on past Grindhouse Films
-Making Of Planet Terror

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #372 : December 03, 2008, 12:05:38 PM »

Holy Blu-ray, Batman! The new HD of PT offers the film in two ways: standard theatrical (intentionally "distressed"), or a new PRISTINE version, with all (or almost all) the scratches removed. Some very interesting screen cap comparisons over at the Beaver: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews33/planet_terror.htm

Damn, looks like I'm buying this title again!

« : December 03, 2008, 01:13:15 PM dave jenkins »

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #373 : December 03, 2008, 10:55:32 PM »

Damn, looks like I'm buying this title again!

Can't you give that money to charity instead?

Tis the season...

« : December 03, 2008, 11:09:08 PM The Firecracker »

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #374 : December 05, 2008, 06:16:31 AM »

The Beev on the Death Proof Blu-ray: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews43/death_proof_blu-ray.htm

: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines