Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 04:35:18 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Grindhouse
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grindhouse  (Read 70234 times)
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: August 01, 2009, 02:07:09 PM »

Planet Terror (2007) - 5.85/10

Death Proof (2007) - 6.55/10

I prefer DP by a couple of degrees, but still, while there are parts in them I can watch again both movies really don't go anywhere, all style over substance... Which maybe OK, they're sold as ''grindhouse'', there's no false advertising.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 02:11:09 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 01, 2009, 02:23:01 PM »

Planet Terror (2007) - 5.85/10

Death Proof (2007) - 6.55/10

they're sold as ''grindhouse'', there's no false advertising.

Well, DEATH PROOF is about as false advertising as you can get. That movie is NOWHERE near the type, nor style of movie it claims to emulate. I cannot think of ONE SINGLE exploitation movie (I REALLY HATE that grindhouse word now. Hardly anyone ever used it before save for those who actually knew what it was or had seen some of the movies) that features stuck up bitches chatterboxing for an hour before the audience is introduced to ANOTHER group of giggling girls who sit around and talk for what seems like forever before the big car chase. I had even forgotten Kurt Russell was even in this flick. Horrible move that deserved what it got. PLANET TERROR was not much better, but it came the closest to emulating that type of film. Furthermore, for the cost of this overblown garbage, you could have shot several dozen or more TRUE exploitation pictures. And from the looks of this retarded "war" movie from "that director who shall remain nameless", it appears it will be another gabfest. If it doesn't bomb, I will be really surprised.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 01, 2009, 02:54:13 PM »

I prefer DP by a couple of degrees

taking stuff out of context is really amazing.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 01, 2009, 03:02:29 PM »

Well, DEATH PROOF is about as false advertising as you can get. That movie is NOWHERE near the type, nor style of movie it claims to emulate. I cannot think of ONE SINGLE exploitation movie (I REALLY HATE that grindhouse word now. Hardly anyone ever used it before save for those who actually knew what it was or had seen some of the movies) that features stuck up bitches chatterboxing for an hour before the audience is introduced to ANOTHER group of giggling girls who sit around and talk for what seems like forever before the big car chase. I had even forgotten Kurt Russell was even in this flick. Horrible move that deserved what it got. PLANET TERROR was not much better, but it came the closest to emulating that type of film. Furthermore, for the cost of this overblown garbage, you could have shot several dozen or more TRUE exploitation pictures. And from the looks of this retarded "war" movie from "that director who shall remain nameless", it appears it will be another gabfest. If it doesn't bomb, I will be really surprised.

Well yeah, I guess you have a point, but I took the whole thing superficially and wasn't really interested in nuances. For me it was ''crazy zombies around a small town'' and ''crazy driver killing chicks on the road''. Basic ideas of which one could make explo flicks, right? The rest was unnecessary bullshitting (talkie chicks and stuff), and I didn't much like it.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 08:16:36 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 01, 2009, 03:09:16 PM »

taking stuff out of context is really amazing.

Bastard.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #380 on: August 02, 2009, 02:06:44 AM »

On the other hand, to make an hommage to grindhouse movies doesn't mean to make a grindhouse movie. PT and DP both took what they wanted from real grindhouse movies and used them in another way, which is still an hommage to these movies, but they did something else. Which is not that terrible, is it? I mean, you may have hated these 2 movies, but what's the point of saying they're not grindhouse?

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 02, 2009, 11:36:45 AM »

On the other hand, to make an hommage to grindhouse movies doesn't mean to make a grindhouse movie. PT and DP both took what they wanted from real grindhouse movies and used them in another way, which is still an hommage to these movies, but they did something else. Which is not that terrible, is it? I mean, you may have hated these 2 movies, but what's the point of saying they're not grindhouse?

Because DP is not! And countless others who KNOW WHAT THOSE MOVIES ARE SUPPOSED TO BE WILL TELL YOU THE SAME THING. Again, people don't READ obviously.....

PLANET TERROR was not much better, but it came the closest to emulating that type of film.

Outside of MAYBE ten minutes of delivering on what the title promises, DP is still left with 100 minutes of QT's usual self absorbed referential yappin' to let the audience know once more that he knows about obscurities that the average person doesn't know and really doesn't give two shits about. I didn't like the movie, you obviously did. I didn't even pay to see it in the theater because it looked like crap from the commercial and I had a feeling it was gonna bomb because those kinds of films are a niche and the generation today isn't interested in anything over ten years old. They were gambling on Q's name alone and it didn't work. If you want to see what a REAL exploitation movie should be (then again, maybe you don't), check out some of these. Some are classics, some are good, some are average to mediocre and some are just plain bad, but most are remembered for certain qualities....

ZOMBIE
THE FLESH EATERS
GALAXY OF TERROR
FORBIDDEN WORLD
THE GREAT TEXAS DYNAMITE CHASE
DEATHSPORT
THE STREETFIGHTER
THE EXECUTIONER
MACON COUNTY LINE
WHITE LINE FEVER
POOR PRETTY EDDIE
THE LEGEND OF NI**ER CHARLEY
THE SOUL OF NI**ER CHARLEY
BOSS NI**ER
BLACK SHAMPOO
PSYCHIC KILLER
BEYOND THE DOOR
MAKE THEM DIE SLOWLY
CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST
NIGHTMARE CITY
STUCK ON YOU! (Troma)
THE TOXIC AVENGER
MOTHER'S DAY
ROME ARMED TO THE TEETH
VIOLENT NAPLES
EATEN ALIVE (76)
EATEN ALIVE! (80)
THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE
DIRTY MARY, CRAZY LARRY
DEATHRACE 2000
HUMANOIDS FROM THE DEEP
WALKING TALL (1973)
THE FLYING GUILLOTINE
FIVE VENOMS
KING BOXER
KILL SQUAD
TERROR EXPRESS
ANTHROPOPHAGUS
BASKET CASE
ABSURD
ALMOST HUMAN
REVENGE OF THE NINJA
THE BIG DOLL HOUSE
THE BIG BIRD CAGE
WOMEN IN CAGES
CAGED HEAT
SWITCHBLADE SISTERS
BURIAL GROUND
THE BIG RACKET
CANNONBALL
CLASS OF 1984
MANDINGO
DRUM
THE LOSERS
1990: THE BRONX WARRIORS
RAIDERS OF ATLANTIS
SILENT RAGE
TREASURE OF THE AMAZON
VIOLENCE FOR KICKS
TRUCK TURNER
THREE THE HARD WAY
BUCKTOWN
BLACULA
DEATHSTALKER
ESCAPE 2000
THE BOXER FROM SHANTUNG
FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE SPACE MONSTER
THE GIANT SPIDER INVASION
HUNDRA
THE THING WITH TWO HEADS
BIG BAD MAMA
BLOODY MAMA
EATING RAOUL
EAT MY DUST!
GRAND THEFT AUTO
MANIAC
MAD DOCTOR OF BLOOD ISLAND
LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT
LET SLEEPING CORPSES LIE
TORSO
THE LADY TERMINATOR
JUNGLE HOLOCAUST
ILSA, SHE WOLF OF THE SS
ILSA, HAREM KEEPER OF THE OIL SHIEKS
ILSA, THE TIGRESS OF SIBERIA
I DRINK YOUR BLOOD
I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE
HUNCHBACK OF THE MORGUE
THE HILLS HAVE EYES
HELL OF THE LIVING DEAD
THE GESTAPO'S LAST ORGY
FIGHT FOR YOUR LIFE
SAVAGE STREETS
SHE (1983)
2019: AFTER THE FALL OF NEW YORK
etc, etc, etc, etc..........

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 02, 2009, 03:21:26 PM »

I think I know how to recognize an explo flick but most people (here and elsewhere) obviously don't, so why not give a basic formula so that people can understand why is Grindhouse not (pure) exploitation. You said a couple of times it's not, but never why.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 03:24:10 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 02, 2009, 03:30:05 PM »

I think I know how to recognize an explo flick but most people (here and elsewhere) obviously don't, so why not give a basic formula so that people can understand why is Grindhouse not (pure) exploitation. You said a couple of times it's not, but never why.

Obviously you don't and I think I explained why elsewhere in this thread. If that list I posted appears alien to you, than no further explanation will aid you. I think I explained enough. Yet again, people don't reeeeeaaaad. I said PT came the closest, but the overblown second half was nothing but a gab fest. I didn't care for either one, but RR's was the better of the two if I were (forced) to pick one.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 02, 2009, 03:30:40 PM »

NIGHTMARE CITY

From what I've heard Incubo sulla cittą contaminata is, in fact, Planet Terror. Or vice versa, actually.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 02, 2009, 03:33:46 PM »

Obviously you don't and I think I explained why elsewhere in this thread. If that list I posted appears alien to you, than no further explanation will aid you. I think I explained enough. Yet again, people don't reeeeeaaaad. I said PT came the closest, but the overblown second half was nothing but a gab fest. I didn't care for either one, but RR's was the better of the two if I were (forced) to pick one.

Didn't read the whole topic, it's 25 pages long.

I know why those movies are exploitation flicks but most people don't. That list don't mean nothing to them. I bet they think exploitation is a genre of its own.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 03:38:56 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 02, 2009, 04:46:10 PM »

but RR's was the better of the two if I were (forced) to pick one.
thank you LOOOOL

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #387 on: August 02, 2009, 04:56:14 PM »

Because DP is not! And countless others who KNOW WHAT THOSE MOVIES ARE SUPPOSED TO BE WILL TELL YOU THE SAME THING. Again, people don't READ obviously.....

PLANET TERROR was not much better, but it came the closest to emulating that type of film.

Outside of MAYBE ten minutes of delivering on what the title promises, DP is still left with 100 minutes of QT's usual self absorbed referential yappin' to let the audience know once more that he knows about obscurities that the average person doesn't know and really doesn't give two shits about. I didn't like the movie, you obviously did. I didn't even pay to see it in the theater because it looked like crap from the commercial and I had a feeling it was gonna bomb because those kinds of films are a niche and the generation today isn't interested in anything over ten years old. They were gambling on Q's name alone and it didn't work. If you want to see what a REAL exploitation movie should be (then again, maybe you don't), check out some of these. Some are classics, some are good, some are average to mediocre and some are just plain bad, but most are remembered for certain qualities....

Cool it, man Wink
I already read the previous post, so you don't have to write the same thing in a second one... I'm telling you PT and DP are NOT exploitation movies, they "talk" about exploitation movies and make a few nods of the head to them... and try to LOOK like it. RR and QT are NOT doing they're own exploitation movie, as the "fake" look of the poster, of the trailer, and of the fake camera flaws show in their movies... Liking them or not is not the question: I don't see how they "betrayed" the audience and/or REAL grindhouse, that's my point.

Come on, did you really think that they were trying to make us believe that they were actually missing reels in both movies?

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 02, 2009, 09:41:21 PM »

Come on, did you really think that they were trying to make us believe that they were actually missing reels in both movies?

Well of course they did. They stated it many times in various horror and other genre publications. The films were shot complete and later chunks were removed for the "missing reels", which I thought was really stupid to begin with as you are going to confuse audiences further when they don't know what the hell you're going for anyway. The movie bombed on both theatrical and home video, so even its target audience wasn't impressed for the most part.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 02, 2009, 10:21:45 PM »

I know why those movies are exploitation flicks but most people don't. That list don't mean nothing to them. I bet they think exploitation is a genre of its own.

I'm by no means an expert on explotation cinema and I clearly understand AC's point. I don't think an argument can be made in PT and DP's defense.

and who are these people that are so confused?

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM