Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 09:26:11 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  Sergio Leone News (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  new spaghetti book
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: new spaghetti book  (Read 5082 times)
Bill Carson
« on: November 28, 2004, 09:49:53 AM »

Cool hola amigos. I just thought I'd share some info on a new book that I recieved today - ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE ITALIAN WEST: the filmgoer's guide to spaghetti westerns by Howard Hughes. this is a hardback published by I.B. Tauris that cost around £20 (it was a gift so I'm not sure exactly) the photos are in black & white and the film titles are listed by their release dates (it's even got the GBU publicity pose of the three title actors! cool!) I haven't started reading it yet but it looks great. check it out my friends!

Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 05:57:03 AM »

Well,have you read the book by now?Was it any good?

Shadow
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 01:42:23 PM »

I got the book today and I think it''s great. It reads very nice and is comes with pictures. I would recommended if you like to know more about how some of the best spags were created (and where!).

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 03:30:47 PM »

Shadow or Bill, list the Spaghetti''s covered, Thanks1

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Shadow
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 01:04:17 PM »

In particular, the following spags are covered (or more or less used as a starting point): fistful, pistol for ringo, return of ringo, few dollars more, django, hills run red, navajo joe, bullet for the general, GBU, django kill, hellbenders, big gundown, death rides, face 2 face, day of anger, big/great silence, professional gun, sabata, they call me trinity, nobody.

These titles are discussed the most elaborately. The book works like this. For instance, the big gundown is a Sollima film. In the big gundown chapter, other sollima pictures are discussed as well. Or pictures that inspired gundown. Also the actors may well serve as links to other films/spags. So, all in all, more spaghetti''s than suggested by the chapter titles are discussed.

I think it''s a very nice informative book for a very decent price. Again, recommended!

Bill Carson
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 03:13:52 PM »

Cool  err... thanks Shadow! couldn''t have put it better myself. yes, it''s a must-have for us fans.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 03:34:14 PM »

Thanks for the info Shadow it sounds a bit more comprehensive than the small pocket essentials that I have, heard that it also has pics. The small book covered 31 SW''s.

Looks like I''ll have to pick it up too.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 01:05:07 PM »

I''ll have to get the book too.

indio
Gunslinger

just a son of a bitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2005, 11:53:59 AM »

whats the best spaghetti book out there at the moment? i saw that one and one by Sir Frayling do you know which is the best?

That could just be cannon fire.
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2005, 04:03:08 PM »

The Opera of Violence by Laurance Staig is my fav. Written in 1975 so its still in the thick of it.
Its a very interesting read. Not so much broken up into chapters on actual films, more themes & subjects used in the Genre.

Some of the Chapters

The Ecstasy of Violence Nice introduction to what makes a italian western.

Techniques, Motifs, and Directors

Sergio Leone (yes rightly his own chapter)

The Political Western

Aftermath

'When the Chimes end..pick up the gun' (really good chapter on Morricone and other composers. And as the title says.. the noval use of music in the genre)

Some nice scattered B/W photos, Soundtrack LP Covers
Ends with a list of all the Spaghetti's relased in the U.K. Most of them with names i can't pin down, or just the obscure bad ones. lol

Its long out of print. You can find copies on ebay, so its sometimes pricey.
I could do with scanning the book into a PDF format so others can enjoy. But  I don't have the resources at the moment unfortunatly.

The Pocket Essentials Spaghetti Western guide is cheap and cheerful. Specially for starters

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2005, 05:26:20 AM »

There is a coffee table sized book with many, many, color and b&w pictures that I came across in the Kalispell, Montana public library I think it was Conrad Weisers "The Good The Bad and The Violent" its supposed to contain some errors but was a gorgeous book. I spent many armchair hours pouring over it. back in the early 90's.

This a must have but I think its out of print.

I never heard of the Staig book will have to keep an eye out for it. Thanks Smoker.

Of the Frayling book and the Huges book both are good, however Frayling only goes into detail on Leone's westerns he just mentions some othere to illustrate points, while the small Pocket book covers each SW in good short essays.

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2005, 04:34:31 PM »

What I love about Once Upon a Time in the Italian West  is the detail, even explaining exactly where all the films were filmed (which is great, particularly as a man that loves Almeria).

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM