Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 06:06:41 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Heaven's Gate (1980)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heaven's Gate (1980)  (Read 25053 times)
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2007, 10:17:34 AM »

Well, I just saw this movie last night and I have mixed feelings about it.

The first 3 hours of the film IMO were fantastic, especially the scenes at Harvard and in Casper, Wyoming. I thought most of the characters were underdeveloped and 2 dimensional. The final 40 minutes were a let-down. The movie was building up to something more but doesn't deliver and the last 5 minutes on the yacht were so pointless.

Excellent attention to detail and brilliant direction by Michael Cimino, but he pays to much attention to detail and wanders away from the basic elements of film-making such as character development.

I'd give this flawed epic a 3/5.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 12:43:51 AM »

I remember seeing most of this awhile back and thought the same thing. I have to rewatch it though to give  you my full opinion though.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »

Well, I just saw this movie last night and I have mixed feelings about it.

The first 3 hours of the film IMO were fantastic, especially the scenes at Harvard and in Casper, Wyoming. I thought most of the characters were underdeveloped and 2 dimensional. The final 40 minutes were a let-down. The movie was building up to something more but doesn't deliver and the last 5 minutes on the yacht were so pointless.

Excellent attention to detail and brilliant direction by Michael Cimino, but he pays to much attention to detail and wanders away from the basic elements of film-making such as character development.
After watching the peasants rolling around in the skate rink for what seemed like hours I couldn't wait for the regulators to show up and blow them all away. This is a serious flaw in a film where the director wanted audience sympathies to go to the sheepmen. I was rooting for the cattle guys all the way.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 02:59:16 PM »

I didn't mind the skating rink scene. It wasn't too long but there are plenty of useless scenes in the film.

KevinJCBJK
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2007, 08:37:37 PM »

All the backlash this film has recieved, makes it more appealing to me. I hope to watch it someday, I loved the Deer Hunter, so maybe this will be decent.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2007, 08:42:47 PM »

I've never seen it in its entierty just bits and pieces I guess its a candidate for the Netflix cue.  Wink

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
KevinJCBJK
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2007, 08:51:32 PM »

I might give in to Netflix, I doubt my local library will have it.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2007, 09:12:45 PM »

I'm sold on it now, especially since my local near by video rental store went tits up,  its a great way to sample films. Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2007, 09:28:34 AM »

I really need to see this, mainly for the fact that The Deer Hunter is the greatest film known to man (yes, it's a fact!).

I wish Cimino was still making films today - he was a potentially masterful director.

KevinJCBJK
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2007, 10:41:20 AM »

too bad Heaven's Gate blew his chance. He is more like a one hit wonder now.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2007, 04:25:19 PM »

I really need to see this, mainly for the fact that The Deer Hunter is the greatest film known to man (yes, it's a fact!).

I wish Cimino was still making films today - he was a potentially masterful director.

Yeah, but he got so caught up in his own ego that on the set of Heaven's Gate he forgot one of the most important director's skills: make a good movie!

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2007, 07:45:13 AM »

Grin i'm afraid that's exactly what happened to him!

I heard he was trying to adapt some Balzac books now.. or at least he has been trying for years. Still, i would be a producer, i wouldn't give him a penny, he's far too dangerous! he killed united artists...

Anyway, I LOVE the deer hunter... did you know that the french title is very different? "voyage au bout de l'enfer", ie stg like "A Journey In Hell", with a big reference to Celine's book Voyage au bout de la Nuit.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
KevinJCBJK
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2007, 02:50:59 PM »

I looked the film up on wikipedia, and I found it rather unpleasent when I was directed the other Heaven's Gate.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2007, 12:56:31 PM »

I didn't know people liked this!

I may just have to rent it soon...

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2007, 01:35:56 PM »

I didn't know people liked this!

I may just have to rent it soon...

The movie is mediocre.

Could've been an epic masterpiece but Cimino should've hired a decent screenwriter.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM