Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 06:59:27 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Django il bastardo aka Django the Bastard/Stranger's Gundown (1969)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Django il bastardo aka Django the Bastard/Stranger's Gundown (1969)  (Read 14716 times)
HEX
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2005, 08:01:24 AM »

Yeah...there's nothing wrong w/ a differing opinion...what bothers me about this particular review is that he gives away 'Django's' motive for revenge...which, as I pointed out...is not revealed (in the US/UK cut) until well on in the movie.

YEAH shobary DOES HAVE A TENDENCY TO RUIN IMPORTANT PLOT POINTS THAT SHOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN SAID WITHOUT WATCHING THE FILM FIRST.

whoa sorry for the caps. didnt realize it.

but it isnt all SHOBARY'S fault there are alot of reviews for sw's out there that ruin the plot. many people should watch out for these things. i try not to read to much on an sw i want to buy, otherwise it ruins everything.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2005, 08:02:19 AM »

oh, oh. Feel bad about my reviews now

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
HEX
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2005, 08:10:18 AM »

oh, oh. Feel bad about my reviews now

Grin no no. its ok. i dont think u gave out any major plot points in youre reviews. from what i read anyway. i must admit i skipped over JOHNNY YUMA because i have not seen it and didnt want to run the risk of reading something i did not want to.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2005, 08:12:06 AM »

Thats good then  Grin

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2005, 08:35:56 AM »

Likewise, I try not to give away too much, just set the scene.  Well, thats the plan anyway!!!   Wink

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2005, 08:43:34 AM »

I'm very conscious of spoilers.........having been burned many times by them. If there's something that I would like to point out about a film that I'm reviewing that I absolutely can't mention if it would be even a minor spoiler...I'll either leave it out or put a ***SPOILER*** warning on top of the entire review.
I giver spoilers a lot of thought. I put up a link to a terrific trailer in my "Vera Cruz" review thread...& agonized over it, having perceived that there might be a minor..minor spoiler in it...then I realized that it's really not a big deal & went ahead.
Gotta be careful, though.

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
HEX
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2005, 08:49:59 AM »

I'm very conscious of spoilers.........having been burned many times by them. If there's something that I would like to point out about a film that I'm reviewing that I absolutely can't mention if it would be even a minor spoiler...I'll either leave it out or put a ***SPOILER*** warning on top of the entire review.
I giver spoilers a lot of thought. I put up a link to a terrific trailer in my "Vera Cruz" review thread...& agonized over it, having perceived that there might be a minor..minor spoiler in it...then I realized that it's really not a big deal & went ahead.
Gotta be careful, though.

yeah some people just dont care. and u have to be real careful with sw's because usually there is a lot of backstbbing going on and betrayls, and i really dont want to hear it i want to see it happen. what little reviews i have given here (at the sergio leone web board) i have always been careful enough not to spoil much. my BLINDMAN review has ***SPOILER** disclaimer all over it. and my JONATHAN OF THE BEARS leaves alot to the imagination. i did give out a little bit on the final showdown but since there is no real big surprise in that scene i figured it would not be a sin to say it.

a huge sin is telling the ending to THE GREAT SILENCE which SHOBARY is guilty of along with many others.

also i really want to see FACE TO FACE but i have heard the whole story already from reviewers and such. i really do not want to know that VOLONTE becomes what MILIAN is a bandit. i would much rather want to see that.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 09:49:04 PM by HEX » Logged
HEX
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2005, 11:59:44 AM »

As for Face to Face, the real measure of a movie is how well it holds up AFTER you know the "surprise ending", and this one certainly does.  give it a try, anyway, HEX, if only via those guys who sell cheap boots of the Japanese release on ebay.

oh great...now i know there is a surprise ending... Grin

just kidding DERRINGDO thanks for the info. i have to agree with u on SHOBARY he does seem to review his films that way.

as for the bootleg copy of FACE TO FACE i have found one on ebay and i could get it for (right now anyway) 15$ which is a steal compared to the overly priced japanese one. however this copy is a direct cover from the japanese one but it is region one. how did this guy manage to change it from region 1 to 2?
it is the same cover. it is not a faded out print cover that usually goes with bootlegs.

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2005, 12:33:43 PM »

No more about Face To Face...puh-leeze...  Lips Sealed I'm afraid to read my own thread now.   Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 12:55:21 PM by boardwalk_angel » Logged

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
JamesK
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2005, 07:24:53 PM »

Hi guys, anyone seen this film, is it any good ive heard conflicting opinions of it. Is it worth acquiring on DVD?

I just watched the film for the first time this evening, and I would definitely recommend renting it before considering a purchase.  Which I suppose makes it sound like I disliked the movie, but I actually didn't.  It lacks the lushness of a Leone film, or the sheer audacity of a Corbucci, but it has all the right elements and a few cool ones besides.

What I found most interesting about the movie -- and I need to tread carefully here, lest I spoil -- was the sense of confusion it engendered about the nature of our protagonist.  While he's been given the name Django for exploitative reasons, the hero is something else entirely from Franco Nero's character.  I felt after forty-five minutes that I had a handle on what this Django was all about, but the film pulled a switcheroo on me later.  Impressive for such a little movie.

Out West: The All-Fiction Western 'Zine
--> Submit today! <--
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2005, 03:35:47 AM »

As far as non-Leone SW's go,Djimbo,i bought the Strangers Gundown DVD and it is excellent and worth having because it is totally unlike any other SW i own.I love the horror film atmospear of the movie together with the creepy music.I like the whole idea of Django delivering a cross bearing his enemys name and date of death just before gunning them down!One of the best bits i enjoyed from High Plains Drifter is the tension provided when the three bad guys have rounded up the Lago townfolk in the saloon and all of a sudden one of them is yanked out the door by a rope around his neck,is hung and then Clint cleverly dispatches with the other two one by one.If you enjoyed this 5 minutes of brilliance then i'm confident you'd like Steffen(his wooden performance is intentional as the ghostly figure when you compare him to his more mortal persona in the flashbacks) dealing with a whole community of baddies in a similar fashion in a whole half an hours worth of action.
Highly Recommended!!!

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2005, 06:34:43 AM »

I really enjoyed High Plains Drifter. I have seen Django The Bastard advertised on various websites and was tempted to pick it up, oh well.

JamesK
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2005, 07:06:45 AM »

I really enjoyed High Plains Drifter. I have seen Django The Bastard advertised on various websites and was tempted to pick it up, oh well.

Well, there's no reason why you shouldn't still see the film.  Just buying it sight unseen is probably not a good idea.

--> Submit today! <--
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2005, 07:38:32 AM »

There is a list of other spaghetti's that I need to see first, this was quite high up when I saw it advertised but I might as well put it on the backburner

JamesK
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2005, 07:41:52 AM »

Well, at any rate, my review of the film is up now.  Check it out if you're so inclined.

--> Submit today! <--
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM