Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 01:32:06 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Tombstone (1993)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tombstone (1993)  (Read 15747 times)
TheUgly17
Chicken Thief

I wanna buy you a dddddddrank

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2007, 10:44:29 PM »

Tombstone 7-8/10

I went into this movie thinking it would be as kick ass as Young Guns(<3 Young Guns), but not the case. Quite different and too cramed in with killing the cowboys without putting much emotion into anything. Despite being as historical inaccurate as you can be, it was a alright film. Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday stole the show, the damn movie should have just been about him. Kurt Russel didn't live up to Wyatt as I thought he would, and Im a fan of both. The directing wasn't all too impressive either, could have gotten a better director. The film also rushed the vengance ride, hardly introducing the men Wyatt rode with. Powers Boothe was as kickass as a villan as you could get, a good face to see after a week of watching Deadwood nonstop. I probably wouldn't watch it agian if I had the choice unless there was a directors cut with more Doc footage.

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2007, 03:25:58 AM »

I like Tombstone. There are so few good westerns in 90's, this is one of them...
Val Kilmer is absolutely perfect. Poor Doc...

I hated the Kevin Costner version of Wyatt Earp - very long, very boring...
Gunfight at O.K. Corral was not so good as other Sturges films. And Kirk Douglas as Doc? Laughable. I just can't believe he had any heath problems... too strong man.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2008, 06:16:46 AM »

This was on BBC1 a couple of days ago and i was prompted into watching this from reading Howard Hughes ethusiastic chapter in his latest book on westerns.

I have to agree with the general consensus on this thread that apart from the tedious love interest subplot this is a very good film.The showdown at the OK Coral is undoubtably the highlight of the movie with a great build-up of tension just before the bullets fly.

I'm not a Kurt Russel fan but he is excellent as Wyatt Earp and  Val Kilmer was even better as Doc Holiday.

Its a shame that after the action had died down it ended on such a dull drawn out note with Russel waltzing away  with his floozy etc.

I agree with Cigar Joe that a general Earp legend thread would be fun.I'm kicking myself for not recording Costners version which was also on tv this week. Embarrassed

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2008, 06:30:18 AM »

Most folks agree that its the best recreation of the OK gunfight on film.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2008, 11:37:26 AM »

I prefer the one depicted in Gunfight at the OK Corral, the one that goes on for five plus minutes.  Afro  Actually, one I really like is from Hour of the Gun.  The movie begins with the gunfight w/ no explanation just drops the viewer into it right away.  And Tombstone's is probably the best to be fair.

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2008, 11:41:21 AM »

It's the most entertaining but the most accurate? I think that's arguable. It's much longer than the real one, and while most of it are accurate a lot is exagerrated - Doc and Wyatt's shooting Billy Clanton about twenty times for instance, and Ike Clanton firing a volley through the window of the photo gallery (all this based on Wyatt's belief that a shot had been fired from a sniper not directly engaged, based on a ricochet sound he heard during the gunfight). Oh, and Doc didn't get hit (he was in the script though). Wyatt Earp's is about as accurate although it gets some details wrong too.

Certainly it's more accurate than the Gunfight at OK Corral and My Darling Clementine but those two films were an absolute joke in terms of historicity so it's not a big accomplishment.

Saturday nights with Groggy
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2008, 01:59:45 PM »

Bought the dvd today and played it. It's good but could have been better. I didn't find the love story (except for the episode of the horse race) obtrusive and the female presence is kept within acceptable boundaries. What I didn't like was Kurt Russel: he doesn't look as badass as Earp is supposed to be. I can't even start to compare him with Lancaster or Garner (my favourite) or Fonda. Even Kilmer didn't persuaded me very much: his unhealtiness is too artificial and exaggerated. He doesn't show his lung problems naturally like Robards, but he doesn't look sick like Douglas. And I don't like his musketeer facial hair. Boothe tries to emulate Marvin in LV, as said here already. How can you even start to think you can top (or simply equal) that? By copying some facial expression like opening up your mouth exaggerately? The other ones are good. But of course this is mainly a Earp-Holliday movie, so...
What is missing, I think what all the SW aficionados here miss, is the auto-irony, which is (completely?) absent from recent AW. I don't think Hollywood joked with Far West reality less than italians, but they always had the pretension they were telling the truth. But is that the main reason why we like westerns? Do we really care about how things really went? Maybe, sometime, for a change: but then they should go all the way, which rarely happens.
Which fact brings me also to think that, strangely, nobody has (as far as I know) still thought to tell the story from Clanton's side, BTW. We still are dished the story that Earp told to his first biographer, while things seem not to have been so clear, expecially about the OK Corral affair. So all the new westerns seem to straddle a middle ground between fact and fiction: which could seem apparently a progress from the scrupless (as to adherence to fact) early days before the SW advent, but which always leaves an unsatisfactory aftertaste of unaccomplished.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2008, 04:05:41 PM »

I agree with you on Russell, he looks like Earp but he's one of my least favorites. I did enjoy Kilmer's performance as a fun caricature. I think it's interesting that Kevin Costner was approached to do this movie but turned it down for Wyatt Earp; Costner was a much better Earp than Russell IMO, and I think he should have been in the better movie.

Why do we need the story told from the Clanton's POV? The Earps were morally dubious individuals (and Hour of the Gun, Doc and Wyatt Earp all deal with the seemier side of their protagonist), but the Clantons were just thugs and criminals. On the other hand, Terry Ike Clanton (a cousin of the family) wrote a screenplay from the Clanton's POV, so if you have the money to produce it for him feel free.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 04:09:49 PM by Groggy » Logged

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2008, 05:06:15 PM »

There are still people who think that the OK Corral was a cold-blooded murder. I think there's some kind of memento laid in the area to express this feeling. And also I think that Wyatt Earp is not depicted for the dubious character he really was. This I picked up reading here and there on the internet. These elements have never been given any great relevance in any of the 4-5 movies I saw on the gunfight. And it is strange that, even when debunking myths was the fashion, these angles never were taken into consideration at Hollywood.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2008, 05:12:40 PM »

Terry Ike Clanton (a cousin of the family) wrote a screenplay from the Clanton's POV, so if you have the money to produce it for him feel free.

And we can contact him how?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Lightnin Rick
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2008, 09:28:14 AM »

You can start here.
http://clantongang.com/oldwest/hauntedsaloonwebcast.html

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2008, 04:30:31 PM »

Or the home page:
http://clantongang.com/oldwest/clangen.htm

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2009, 01:26:13 PM »

There are still people who think that the OK Corral was a cold-blooded murder.

Those people are idiots or Clantons. Most people who know better dismiss this idea.

Presumably you haven't seen Doc, which has the Earps blasting the Clantons with shotguns as they try to surrender.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2010, 12:04:51 AM »

Interesting comments on the new Blu-ray, here: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviewshd/bdreviews041410.html#tom

Looks like I'll be waiting for the "Director's Cut" follow-up release.

And I, like Bill Hunt, hadn't been aware that Kurt Russell actually directed the picture. Interesting . . . .

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2010, 12:28:13 PM »

And I, like Bill Hunt, hadn't been aware that Kurt Russell actually directed the picture.

That depends on who you believe.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM