Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 09:15:28 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Tombstone (1993)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tombstone (1993)  (Read 15367 times)
fluisterwoud
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2004, 07:14:55 PM »

Hey remember that mayor of the Tombstone  with that stick going around, remember. Well anyway i like that part when he finishes his speach and then goes something like " Gentlemen" ! and lifts his stick , I just love that part.  
As for the whole movie it was ok i guess. What was cool and surprising how Val Kilmer and the fello from 1 Terminator(Ringo guy)  fit in the movie part so good, god damn all i got to say.

Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2004, 11:00:43 PM »

Hey remember that mayor of the Tombstone  with that stick going around, remember. Well anyway i like that part when he finishes his speach and then goes something like " Gentlemen" ! and lifts his stick , I just love that part.  
As for the whole movie it was ok i guess. What was cool and surprising how Val Kilmer and the fello from 1 Terminator(Ringo guy)  fit in the movie part so good, god damn all i got to say.
They waste too much time on the love subplots in act 2, making it drag.  The action is good, though.

More feeling.
Harmonica45
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 03:03:44 PM »

I've only seen part of the movie so I don't know the characters that well, but I liked the part when one guy tries to show up the drunk one with his gun spinning skills.  Then the drunk guy started spinning his glass aroung.  ThAT MADE ME LAUGH. Grin

Harmonica45
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 03:04:38 PM »

around*

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 03:10:25 PM »

They waste too much time on the love subplots in act 2, making it drag.  The action is good, though

Hey fluisterwoud you hit the nail right on the head!

That was Leone's chief complaint with American westerns, he thought the love/romance side plots killed the stories of a lot of good western films.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 05:30:26 PM »

Didn't see another topic on this, but I've been watching "Tombstone" with Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer a lot recently, and was curious what you guys thought of it.

The movie had a lot of obvious Leone pastiches with close-ups and such (particularly the OK Corral gunfight and the Doc-Ringo duel, which uses almost verbatim shots from GBU), which were fun to spot.  Overall it seemed like a sort of traditional Western with squibs and foul language, nothing wrong with that.  I didn't really like Kurt Russell or Dana Delaney much, but Val Kilmer, Powers Boothe, Michael Biehn, Stephen Lang, and Sam Elliot were all outstanding.  And as inaccurate as it is, this film's version of the OK Corral gunfight has to be the best I've ever seen.  It also has one of the most quotable scripts I've seen in awhile, write up there with "The Professionals" for genuinely witty dialogue.

So, what do you guys think of this movie?

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 05:41:28 PM »

I'll have to watch it again before I can chime in.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 09:14:33 PM »

I'll have to watch it again before I can chime in.
same here.
Didnt remember liking it much.
I'll get back to you on it soon (hopefully) since it plays a lot on Encore westerns.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 09:42:01 AM »

So, what do you guys think of this movie?
I'm yer huckleberry.

Almost a good film. It violates Leone's Rule #2 (Rule #1 is Have a Gunfight Every 10 Minutes). That rule follows from SL's condemnation of Sturges effort on the same subject: What was Rhonda Fleming doing in Gunfight at the OK Corral? If they had kept the women out of the picture, Tombstone would have worked very well. I liked Val Kilmer a lot, and the psycho bad guy, played by Michael Behn (sp?), was totally fab. It could have been great....

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 12:54:17 PM »

Leone broke his own rule in UOTW, didn't he?

Anyway must have caught some snippet of this on Tv and wasn't attracted visually. I'll give it a try if a dvd turns up, though.

Tim
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2006, 04:19:50 PM »

Tombstone is obviously not the most accurate western, but I always have a great time watching it.  I completely agree with Groggy about the movie's quotability, from Ringo's opening line to the showdown between Doc and Ringo.  As well, Tombstone is more enjoyable than Costner's Wyatt Earp, which is far too long.

But for me, Val Kilmer makes this movie.  He should have won an Oscar for his role.

Overall, a great cast, good action, very quotable, and one of the best modern westerns from the last 15-20 years.  And it was good to see Harry Carey JR as Sheriff White, even if it is briefly.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2006, 04:40:56 PM »

And of course, Charlton Heston's cameo was fun too.  I did think it was funny that he was like sixth-billed when he had two minutes of screen time and four lines of dialogue. . .   Roll Eyes

I prefered Boothe and Lang to Biehn, though he was great too.  Boothe seems to have been channelling Lee Marvin's performance as Liberty Valance, while I've been a Lang fan since first seeing "Gettysburg" - he's one of the most underappreciated actors in Hollywood IMO.

My favorite scene is the killing of Marshal White and the subsequent standoff between the Earps and Cowboys; it reminded me again of "Liberty Valance" (which I'm sure was a big reference point), for the scenes where John Wayne and Woody Strode saved Jimmy Stewart from Liberty's gang.  Great acting, dialogue, and a hell of a lot of tension in that scene.

"I swear to God, law dog, if you don't step aside we're gonna tear you apart-"
"You die first, get it?  Your friends might get me in a rush, but not before I make your head into a canoe - you understand?"

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2006, 10:44:54 PM »

I thought Stuges's "Hour of the Gun" was pretty good, not great ( the trial at the beginning seems to bog it down a bit), I has James Garner as Earp on a vengeance trail, Jason Robards as Doc, and Robert Ryan in the Ike Clanton role, scenery shots are good, no memorable lines, and score was forgetable.

We could probably do a whole thread on Wyatt Earp/OK Corral based films.

One 70's flick that dealt with it that I remember was pretty good was "Doc" with Stacey Keach in the role of Holiday and Faye Dunnaway as "Big Nose" Kate Elder .

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2006, 07:28:05 AM »

I love it  Grin . It's my guilty secret Western and my Dad loves it also. Don't take it seriously and you'll have a ball.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2006, 09:27:37 AM »

Leone broke his own rule in UOTW, didn't he?

Which is why the film isn't a spaghetti, and proof that SL was capable of something impossible for most filmmakers, transcending one's style. Leone and Meta-Leone: two of the greatest directors in the history of cinema.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM