Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 09:57:12 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  A Book
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Book  (Read 1625 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2004, 04:58:47 AM »

This is slightly off the beat but it is connected to SW's by a six degrees of separation kind of karma. After Clint left for somewhat dubious greener pastures he did in 1975 a spy film based about mountian climming called "The Eiger Sanction". In it his love interest is another actress who made her film debut in SW's, Vonetta McGee from San Francisco (Clint's Home town also I believe) she was one of the stars of Corbucci's "The Great Silence" she played the love interest of Silence.

Now the author of the screenplay is listed as Rod Whitaker also known as Trevenian, I believe he was/is a mountian climber himself.  IMDb lists him as both dead in 1992 and as having a film in post production 2004, I also have a book of his copyrighted in 1999, that has him living in the French Basque Mountians. So what gives there, lol.

Anyway he had some falling out on the Eiger film with those involved and swore he would have nothing to do with films after that, something has obviously changed since if IMDb is to be believed. Getting back to my point he wrote an off beat western that would be prime SW material in the right hands it stands the AW genre on its head just like the SW's did in the past. Its got some definitely wierd SW characters. Its a Spaghetti Western in a book.

The name of the novel is "Incident At Twenty Mile" published in paperback in 1999 by St. Martin's Paperbacks.

I'm just re-reading it again and I urge you all to find it, you'll get a kick out of it as you know you'll be having a SW "mind movie" in your head as you read it.

Incident At Twenty Mile, has an interesting dedication:

Dedicated to Owen Wister and Fredrick Remington; the
first for creating the mythotypic characters and the distinctive motivational values that power the narrative engins of the Western genre, and the second for establishing its visual vocabulary. Between them they provided the idioms and the inspiration, not only for all the subsequent writers of the genre, but also for the Western film from John Ford to Sergio Leone.

I checked on who Owen Wister was:

Wister, Owen (1860-1938), was an American novelist. He became noted for The Virginian (1902) and other stories of Western life as seen by a Philadelphian and Harvard graduate. Wister wrote biographies of Ulysses S. Grant, George Washington, and his friend, Theodore Roosevelt. Other works include Red Men and White (1896), Philosophy 4 (1903), and Lady Baltimore (1906). Wister was born in Philadelphia.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM