Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 07:44:40 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Warlock (1959)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warlock (1959)  (Read 11364 times)
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 09:42:36 AM »

In my view, I'd say Leone was more influenced by the look of the movie than the content. The night scene with Quinn and Fonda--when Quinn shoots Fonda's hat--is referenced in FaFDM--the 'games' scene w/ Clint and LVC--and even feature similar lighting schemes. There are blue lights far off in the background; the scenes almost look identical. It's also a movie in which the characters move very slow or Leone-like from what I remember, not that this is something that is Warlock specific, but worth noting.

Groggs, I think your assessment of Dymtryk is way, way too harsh. I like his work, his movies look good for the most part; but I haven't seen as much from him as I would like.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 11:07:40 AM by T.H. » Logged

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 10:29:30 AM »

Groggs, I think your assessment on Dymtryk is way, way too harsh. I like his work, his movies look good for the most part; but I haven't seen as much from him as I would like.
Yeah, Groggy, WTF? This is the director who gave us Murder, My Sweet, Crossfire, and The Caine Mutiny.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 10:49:20 AM »

Fair enough, he deserves credit for The Caine Mutiny.

Saturday nights with Groggy
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 11:12:12 AM »

Yeah, Groggy, WTF? This is the director who gave us Murder, My Sweet, Crossfire, and The Caine Mutiny.

I'm going to watch The Sniper in the next week or so, is there anything else that rivals those three? I think I've only seen those + Warlock.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 12:00:29 PM »

but he can't be accused of having much in the way of style.

I think he, like many other directors (although being talented professionals), didn't quite understand that it's the gunfight that gives a Western that metaphysical (and at the same time (ironically?) - entertaining) aspect.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 12:01:33 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 12:06:55 PM »

We maybe talking about two completely different movies? Huh

Ha ha I was thinking that too.

But the gunfights and the violence are surely amongst the best parts of Warlock.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2010, 12:08:19 PM »

I'm going to watch The Sniper in the next week or so, is there anything else that rivals those three? I think I've only seen those + Warlock.
Probably not. But if you're a noir fan, Cornered, with wise-cracking tough guy Dick Powell, makes a good follow-up to Murder, My Sweet.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2010, 04:53:15 PM »

Ha ha I was thinking that too.

But the gunfights and the violence are surely amongst the best parts of Warlock.

I'll probably give it another try in a couple of months or so, maybe I didn't pay enough attention. But the chances for that are rather slim, if I didn't see/feel it the first time I doubt I will the next time. Smiley

« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 04:55:29 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2011, 08:47:41 PM »

MOMA is putting this up on the big screen twice next month: Friday, Nov. 4 (@4:30) and Monday, Nov. 7 (@3:45). There's no way I can make a Monday showing, but Friday seems do-able. D&D, will I see you there?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2011, 09:14:47 AM »

I've been meaning to revisit this flick and this might be the incentive I need. Afro

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2011, 10:38:19 AM »

I've been meaning to revisit this flick and this might be the incentive I need. Afro
You're coming to Manhattan?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2011, 11:12:08 AM »

No, but I can watch it on Netflix and be there in spirit.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2011, 02:48:24 PM »

Do they deliver from McSorley's on Netflix? Otherwise . . .

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2011, 03:12:23 PM »

I'll run over to Wal-Mart for some Heineken.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2012, 09:38:09 PM »

As I said here http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=7500.msg154141#msg154141 this wasn't my kinda film, seemed like a queer Freudian psychodrama. I won't repeat those comments here, but add a few that i didn't mention:

A) there is a scene with a guy in a barbershop who runs out with half his face still full of shaving cream. Remind anyone of a somewhat similar scene in FAFDM? (Although, according to Frayling, that scene in FAFDM has a more direct reference to another movie I forget...)

B) I've always liked Fonda, Widmark, and Quinn, but I don't think this was Widmark's best role. Anyway, I am really surprised Widmark received top billing. Fonda was certainly the bigger star (I wasn't alive in 1959 but I'm sure he was bigger then as well, no? And his character was certainly the main character in the film as well.

A while ago, I saw a documentary on Fonda: in order to get the "role of his lifetime" in that (commie piece of shit  Wink ) The Grapes of Wrath, Zanuck said Fonda would have to do what he'd always resisted: sign a 7-year personal services contract with 20th Century Fox. Though he did get the "role of a lifetime," Fonda hated being under that contract, and nicknamed the studio "Penitentiary Fox"  Grin) Anyway, I was just wondering: maybe 2CF gave Widmark top billing cuz there was still some bad blood between 2CF and Fonda over that contract years earlier? This is totally a guess on my part, but what other reason can you think of fgor Widmark getting top billing in this movie? Heck, they even had Fonda introduce the movie on the trailer (included in the dvd's special features), so he musta been the bigger star....

C) I like the whole part theme of "the Law" and "committees" and "regulators." I often think about that whole concept, and about majority rule, and that stuff: how majority vote has often come to mean autonomy from basic human decency, (ie. politicians!). I think the movie pulled off that concept very, very well

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 09:40:23 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM