Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 01:51:12 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Warlock (1959)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warlock (1959)  (Read 11366 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2004, 05:45:10 AM »

Warlock, a quote for SL on right now on AMC!!! Sat morning 7:30 AM

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2004, 09:40:47 AM »

Ok saw this BL wewstern on AMC (Henry Fonda, Richard Widmark, Anthony Quinn) had a few quotes used by Leone, it has the scene just after the part where in FAFDM when Lee Van Cleef strikes the match on Wild's hump. Warlock has a similar scene as the one where Wild goes for his gun and is prevented in doing so. Widmark does the same thing to one of his fellow ranch hands, (no match no hump).

Warlock also has a lot of backshooting attempt scenes where the attempts both out in the open and consealed under or behind things are foiled, think the end of AFOD. It has a markmanship target practice with bottles, where have we seen these before, a SW staple, lol.

Its very loosely based on the story of the Earps in Tombstone. Townies against cowboys

Fonda is a hired gun hired by the town to be the town Marshall, he has a reputation for cleaning up towns his getup also has twin gold handeled colts (based on Earp). (another SW qoute in another film)

Quinn is a crippled gunfighter gambler friend of Fonda(Doc Holliday anyone?) who sets up shop in Warlock

Fonda and Quinn are dressed similar to LVC, but the film also is incredibly slowed down by two love interests between Fonda with one, and  Quinn and Widmark with the other. Its just a good primer flic to see what things in the AW's were like "BL" Before Leone.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
spag fan
Bandido

It don't matter what I say, I'll dub it later.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 03:16:22 PM »

I caught this one a few months back and enjoyed it a good bit. With Fonda, Widmark and Quinn, how could you go wrong? Smiley

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 02:37:54 AM »

The new DVD version is out and it looks pretty good in Cinemascope. I watched it last weekend.

Hey, Groggy, you've seen this film before, right? Why didn't you mention that LQ Jones has a brief scene?(he's the guy who tips Quinn to the fact that Dorthy Malone and the guy gunning for Fonda are coming in on the stage). Man, Groggy, and I thought you were a Wild Bunch fan! lol

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 05:12:29 PM »

The new DVD version is out and it looks pretty good in Cinemascope. I watched it last weekend.

Hey, Groggy, you've seen this film before, right? Why didn't you mention that LQ Jones has a brief scene?(he's the guy who tips Quinn to the fact that Dorthy Malone and the guy gunning for Fonda are coming in on the stage). Man, Groggy, and I thought you were a Wild Bunch fan! lol

I said I saw the last hour of it, not the whole thing.  Tongue

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 08:47:38 PM »

Sorry. Just trying to bust your chops....lol

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 08:34:40 PM »

I just finished watching this on Fox Movie Channel........& I have to say that I was impressed. I want to think about this one for awhile...but for now...yeah...I picked up on the Earp persona...a bit of Hickock too (If I remember correctly...Wild Bill was a faro dealer,...... like Fonda's character...among other things... as well).
An early (1959) somewhat revisionist western...myth breaking but doesn't hammer you over the head with it...adult....well played by Fonda & Widmark.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 08:55:02 PM by boardwalk_angel » Logged

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 09:49:08 PM »

According to some, this was Leone's favorite Western. SL certainly singled it out, and perhaps we can say at the very least it was his favorite non-Ford Western. Certainly the Fonda character resonated with him. Also, it is interesting to note that the film's final act has 3 separate showdowns; talk about value for money (and an early example of a film that follows Leone's 10-minute rule).

uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 12:21:36 AM »

i wanted to see this film since I remember reading it was one the westerns "quoted" in OUITW. SO, i just watched it on dvd.
There are a coupla scenes which might have influenced Leone:
- Widmark getting his hand smashed so he cant draw (FISTFUL)
- Quinn wanting to make sure Fonda is thought of as a great hero (NOBODY)
- Fonda's general attitude (OUTW)

but the film most inspired by is APPALOOSA. It is practically a remake!
and the gunman with the bum leg (Quiinn) turns up in 3:10 to YUMA (Bale).

agree/disagree?

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 04:03:36 AM »

Warlock also has the scene where a gunman is prevented from drawing his gun much like Kinsky is prevented by Brega from drawing on Van Cleef in the El Paso saloon .in For a few Dollars More.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 06:41:12 AM »

The film's influences on OUATITW were noted in the 30 Westerns In Once thread.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 11:01:47 AM »

I maybe missing something but I just don't see why is this movie supposed to be relevant to the later SWs? There are a few connections to Sergio Leone's Westerns but they do not work as catalysts to the upcoming entire sub-genre, or at least I don't see it that way. For me it's quite the contrary: this looks like (almost) the (very) best you can drain from the essence of AWs. Lavish sets, gorgeous cinematography, a bunch of superstars playing distinctive characters, a semi-daring script and a few cutie chicks to use in one or two forced romances. It's all there, and in this case it works fine. It could have been even better if the gunfights were handled with more attention.

7.7/10

« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 11:03:11 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 11:56:18 AM »

I maybe missing something but I just don't see why is this movie supposed to be relevant to the later SWs? There are a few connections to Sergio Leone's Westerns but they do not work as catalysts to the upcoming entire sub-genre, or at least I don't see it that way.

I've never really heard it considered otherwise. Some homages and a neurotic portrayal of gunslingers.

It could have been even better if the gunfights were handled with more attention.

Dymytrk is a borderline hack. He has some good films under his belt but he can't be accused of having much in the way of style.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 02:09:46 AM »

A complex story is somehow wasted partly by over pretentious dialogues.

But with these great actors and a bunch of well staged gunfights is Warlock still a good film. 7/10

Maybe 8 with the Henry Fonda bonus.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 07:59:20 AM »

But with these great actors and a bunch of well staged gunfights is Warlock still a good film.

We maybe talking about two completely different movies? Huh

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM