Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 01:03:37 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Missing the Leone "touch", fatal flaws in Clints American westerns
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Missing the Leone "touch", fatal flaws in Clints American westerns  (Read 28496 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2007, 07:23:38 AM »

Maybe I chose the wrong term. Instead of "woman" I should have written "femalish".
But she doesn't look like a 12 year ole boy to me in the other movies. Rather like a 35 year old ball-buster.

archangel
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2007, 09:22:12 AM »

hi Titoli,
just read all this thread.
you and i share very similar opinions re: CE and his forays into AWs.
just about everythin you've said here i concur with, so i won't repeat.
one thing a will say, is that everytime i went to see a CE movie on the strength of his SL SW's, i came out of the cinema feeling let down, and one work comes to mind - cheesy.
could go on and on.....
thanks for reinforcing my own views of CE's work post SL.

archie.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2007, 09:25:08 AM »

The problem with some of you is that you watch a Clint Eastwood western expecting a spaghetti western. You're not going to get that. Clint's westerns, although have some spag influences, lean more towards the American Western.

Clint has made quite a few western classics in his own right, and a couple masterpieces in my humble opinion. I don't see that his films are "MISSING THE LEONE TOUCH." I don't look for Sergio Leone when I watch somebody elses work.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2007, 12:37:35 PM »

Clint has made quite a few western classics in his own right, and a couple masterpieces in my humble opinion. I don't see that his films are "MISSING THE LEONE TOUCH." I don't look for Sergio Leone when I watch somebody elses work.

Which ones, other than Unforgiven?  While I like Clint's non-Leone westerns, TMFSS, High Plains Drifter, and Outlaw Josey Wales, I wouldn't consider them classics?  Just curious... Smiley

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2007, 01:58:29 PM »

one thing a will say, is that everytime i went to see a CE movie on the strength of his SL SW's, i came out of the cinema feeling let down, and one work comes to mind - cheesy.

You mean you really expected he could be anywhere as good as in GBU? Well, maybe you are right. Maybe we went to the theatres with some expectations, though actually we went there primarily to see Leone's character live again anyway, didn't we?  Now, after 40 years, the fact that we thought at the time anybody but Leone himself could get near his results makes us all sound rather foolish.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2007, 05:40:07 PM »

very true  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
archangel
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2007, 05:43:05 PM »

titoli,
true, i was 18-19yrs when i saw FOD/FAFDM on a double bill.
just a kid.
but i had seen most A- grade hollywood stuff since i was allowed to go to the movies.
saw every western hollywood did in the sixties.
i think the big deal for me was seeing CE in such a different role from Rawhide.
that did impress.
archie.

Mw/NNrules
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2007, 05:44:17 PM »

The Outlaw Josey Wales is a solid four star movie as far as I'm concerned. Four out of five. It starts out like a classic, but the last half or so didn't cut it for me. Too campy, I guess.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2007, 05:51:30 PM »

Which ones, other than Unforgiven?  While I like Clint's non-Leone westerns, TMFSS, High Plains Drifter, and Outlaw Josey Wales, I wouldn't consider them classics?  Just curious... Smiley

I think Outlaw Josey Wales can be considered a western masterpiece. I also hold PALE RIDER in high regard as well. A lot of you don't, but I think the film is terribly UNDERRATED and misunderstood.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2007, 06:33:37 PM »

titoli,
true, i was 18-19yrs when i saw FOD/FAFDM on a double bill.
just a kid.
but i had seen most A- grade hollywood stuff since i was allowed to go to the movies.
saw every western hollywood did in the sixties.
i think the big deal for me was seeing CE in such a different role from Rawhide.
that did impress.
archie.

I'd bet the first who was astonished by the transformation was him. And that he must have realized when he watched the movie, not before.
But I don't think that to this day he has fully understood what Leone has done. For him he's just as good as Don Siegel, I guess: a great artisan. Like maybe he considers himself. Wrongly: he's nowhere as good as those two and Leone must be thought up in terms of artistic achievement more than in entertainment value. And his Hopllywood movies bear proof of this: as much as good some of them are (my favourite ones being PR, U and JK) they are just great entertainments without those moments of absolute originality you find in L., rather a reahshment of stale Hollywood formulas (OJW bears witness to this in the second part which gives me the creeps as to how much formulaic it is). But he can't admit this to himself, probably. And the sycophants who extol his more recent crap like MDB or MR do not help him to face the truth. 

« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 10:25:00 PM by titoli » Logged

archangel
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2007, 04:16:37 AM »

titoli,
agreed,
archie.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2009, 09:50:47 AM »

This is so bizarre. Some of the director's films are not included, some films by other directors are. I guess it is whatever Warner has the rights to: http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php?/archives/3978-WARNER-BROTHERS-TO-RELEASE-34-DVD-CLINT-EASTWOOD-COLLECTION-IN-FEBRUARY.html#extended

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2009, 11:40:11 AM »

I'll pass, I already have:

Where Eagles Dare, 1968

Dirty Harry, 1971  got in a gift  set with the next two but its the only one of the DH series worth owning.      

Magnum Force, 1973

Tightrope, 1984

Pale Rider, 1985  another gift that I would never have bought either

Unforgiven, 1992

Had this watched it once - just traded it off---- Mystic River, 2003

These aren't worth any amount of money

The Gauntlet, 1977

Every Which Way but Loose, 1978

Any Which Way You Can, 1980

Honkytonk Man, 1982

Firefox, 1982

Sudden Impact, 1983

City Heat, 1984

White Hunter, Black Heart, 1990

The Rookie, 1990

« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 01:20:07 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2009, 12:18:34 PM »

Well, reading through this thread again, I think CJ has a good point - that Eastwood's Westerns and by and large deficient compared to Leone's - but I don't think the fact that they're different in terms of style etc. is a bad thing. Whatever SL's influence on Clint, he's a different director with a different sensibility. Whether the way they're different is a problem is, of course, another question entirely.

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2012, 03:36:18 PM »

was reading through this again any new thoughts?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM