Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 12, 2024, 04:31:28 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Tarantino
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
: Tarantino  ( 57705 )
David Aaronson
Bandido

Noodles

« #45 : October 04, 2004, 03:31:37 AM »

Hasn't he said that Kill Bill Volume 2 was his western?
I remember reading about it...

Fat Moe: What have you been doing all these years?
Noodles: I've been going to bed early.
Ify
Chicken Thief

Oh man, I shot Marvin in the face!

« #46 : October 05, 2004, 12:04:18 PM »

Yes volume 2 was part spaghetti Western, Inglorious Bastards will also be his Spaghetti Western!!

"This CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema. If i'd wanted all that computer game bullshit, I'd have gone home and stuck my dick in my Nintendo" -Quentin Tarantino
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

« #47 : October 08, 2004, 09:06:43 AM »

the point is they are not spaghetti westerns... he can call them his spaghetti westerns all he wants... but not only are they not westerns... they are not very spaghetti either. nothing against the movies... they just shouldn't be reffered to as his SW's

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
Half Soldier
Gunslinger

« #48 : October 08, 2004, 02:03:18 PM »

Funnily enough I just watched Kill Bill 1 for the first time today (can't wait to see part 2).  No they are not spaghetti westerns but the influence is obvious.  Close ups of various parts of the body, the music (especially in the animated scene) and the lone 'stranger' gunman/swordswoman (who is still unknown to all but those trying to kill her after 4 years in a coma).

QT borrows from so many styles and uses specific scenes (a similarity in 'What are we going to do with this one Frank' and Umas' characters name being bleeped out, both mentioned in front of small children - also Cheyanne being left alive as a child to reap future revenge like the young girl in the kitchen is invited to).  Uma even says square while drawing one with her fingers a la Pulp Fiction, (but no cartoon dotted line) so he steals from his own films.  I think QT is unique and entertaining and the fact he namechecks Leone as he does is a case of a master acknowledging someone who was a master before him.

Why is it though that I don't feel the compulsion to watch his films time and time again??  I think they lack a cinematic quality and feel claustrophobic.  SL's films are so full of richness in detail that everything that is going on around the characters is worth looking at.  Much of QT's films take place in rooms with nicely plastered walls putting the emphasis too much on the characters and the dialogue.  Their surroundings are irrelevant.

As has just been said, not a spaghetti, not a western -but a big nod in that direction and all in all a thumbs up from me.

I'll sleep better knowing my good friend is by my side
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #49 : October 08, 2004, 02:47:08 PM »

I think definition wise a Spaghetti-Euro Western has to be an actual western, shot in mostly in Spain with an international cast and crew.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Half Soldier
Gunslinger

« #50 : October 08, 2004, 02:55:39 PM »

Most definitely.  I haven't seen that many (couple of django's, face to face, the angry gun and a couple of others) but they do have themes and styles which make them a sub genre.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

« #51 : October 08, 2004, 05:12:17 PM »

i don't have a problem with people saying it's sw like... i just don't like it when tarantino says it will be his SW... cause it's not... it maybe SW-like or have SW themes and style... but it's not gonna be his spaghetti western.

Half Soldier
Gunslinger

« #52 : October 09, 2004, 12:29:53 PM »

agreed ;)

Ify
Chicken Thief

« #53 : October 10, 2004, 02:05:29 PM »

i don't have a problem with people saying it's sw like... i just don't like it when tarantino says it will be his SW... cause it's not... it maybe SW-like or have SW themes and style... but it's not gonna be his spaghetti western.

QT doesn't actually say that Kill Bill is his Spaghetti Western, he says IB will be his Spaghetti Western. He says in one interview most if not all the different types of films and genres he has in Kill Bill, and he says that "there is a little bit of Spaghetti Western" so he is not actually claiming that Kill Bill is a Spaghetti Western, but that it has Spaghetti Western parts in it.

He says regarding IB "it'll kind of be my spaghetti western too" he says "kind of" which implies that it won't be a proper Spaghetti Western but a big nod to the genre!!

"This CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema. If i'd wanted all that computer game bullshit, I'd have gone home and stuck my dick in my Nintendo" -Quentin Tarantino
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

« #54 : October 10, 2004, 03:11:17 PM »

i see your point... i'd just be happier if he had said it will be a big nod to the genre and not give us crap like "it'll be my spaghetti western" kind of or not... i'm sick of hearing stuff like that... i don't make a chick flick and call it my horror movie just because it gives a nod to the genre.

Il Tramonto
Chicken Thief

« #55 : October 11, 2004, 02:38:39 PM »

QT doesn't actually say that Kill Bill is his Spaghetti Western, he says IB will be his Spaghetti Western. He says in one interview most if not all the different types of films and genres he has in Kill Bill, and he says that "there is a little bit of Spaghetti Western" so he is not actually claiming that Kill Bill is a Spaghetti Western, but that it has Spaghetti Western parts in it.

He says regarding IB "it'll kind of be my spaghetti western too" he says "kind of" which implies that it won't be a proper Spaghetti Western but a big nod to the genre!!

But didn't QT say that while Volume 1 was his "Eastern", Volume 2 was basically his Western? I would agree that V1 is basically a Shaw Bros. kungu/wu-shu type film, but I also was expecting V2 to be alot more SW-like, especially after reading the script and seeing the trailer. Kill Bill is still my favorite movie tied with GBU, but that's just the impression I took from it

Ify
Chicken Thief

« #56 : October 12, 2004, 06:26:25 AM »

When he says it's his western, he means it's HIS western. In other words it's a western in his own style. He didn't say volume 2 was his proper (spaghetti)western, and that it is a western through and through. He says it is kind of his western. He has western themes, music and styles in there just like those of other genre's he uses. As Tarantino has said when you watch his film, he wants you to watch hundreds of films!

Also, I don't think you have to have a foreign crew just to make a Spaghetti western as someone else said.

Il Tramonto
Chicken Thief

« #57 : October 12, 2004, 09:53:32 PM »

Yeah, I know. All i'm saying is that I thought V2 would have more of a SW influence. That doesn't make it any less of a movie though, imo.

Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

« #58 : October 23, 2004, 06:24:51 PM »

the "overdubbers" should have, before taken a sample of eli walach's voice from GB&U.  when the older walach came in to overdub, a varible high-frequency oscillator could have matched up the tenure of eli's currant voice  to the way his voice sounded in '66 by matching up dubs w/ VHO. cheap & simple.  :-\
Exactly.  I make animation and we can match voices up more closely than they bothered to on GBU.

BTW, I love Tarantino's stuff, and we are the same age and seem to have the same favorite movies and songs.

More feeling.
Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

« #59 : October 23, 2004, 06:33:23 PM »

I think definition wise a Spaghetti-Euro Western has to be an actual western, shot in mostly in Spain with an international cast and crew.
I think when QT or other cool filmmakers say "Spaghetti Western" there talking about a camera, character and story style more than about a production reality.  

More feeling.
: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines