Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 12, 2024, 04:00:35 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Tarantino
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
: Tarantino  ( 57702 )
DjArcadian
Chicken Thief

I'm a llama! No, you're a llama!

« #15 : October 05, 2003, 09:32:55 PM »

I have to respect him for this. I picked it up from the IMDB.com news section.

Kill Bill director Quentin Tarantino will only feel artistically fulfilled when he's matched the cinematic genius of his idol Sergio Leone. The American movie-maker has been lauded as the most exciting director working in the world today, but he still believes he has a long way to go to leave a lasting legacy. He says, "I think I'm pretty good - but my favorite director is Sergio Leone. Hands down, he's the one who's influenced me most. I think as time goes on I can keep raising the ceiling of my talent and I'm determined to do it to the end of my career, which isn't the case with most directors. I'm not doing a job. This ain't a job. This is an art form. But I can't imagine doing something as perfect as the closing sequence in The Good, The Bad And The Ugly. I will always try to reach that, but I don't think I will ever get there. It is just so cinematically perfect."

aaronson
Gunslinger

« #16 : October 05, 2003, 11:39:58 PM »

Thanks DjArkadian  :D

Many movie  critics have often said that Tarantino was influenced by John Woo and JP Melville.
Even is it true, I like this declaration from Quentin, who put Sergio at the right level.
Movie critics rarely understood Sergio .
For example recently in Liberation , a French newspaper ,JL Skorecki talk about "the fat Director" with a real scorn >:(

sempre sempre ci ni sara banditinelli in macchia Corsa
DjArcadian
Chicken Thief

« #17 : October 06, 2003, 09:33:56 AM »

Reviews of Kill Bill thus far have been fairly good from what I've seen so far. Ebert and Robert gave it two very enthusiastic thumbs up. I think they've given thumbs up to everything he's direct since Pulp Fiction. Siskel or Ebert (one of them) gave thumbs down to Reservoir Dogs. I'm very excited to see this. I was dissapointed with Jackie Brown which I found to be dull and I thought Pam Grier gave a poor performance. The film would have been much better with a different actress as the lead.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18 : October 06, 2003, 12:45:28 PM »

Jakie brown was in effect another homage to Leone, in the way that he (Tarantino) took old TV actors and placed then in cinema. With Jakie Brown Pam Gier just did not quite work out.  You could say the John Travolta was rescued from oblivion that way also.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
DjArcadian
Chicken Thief

« #19 : October 06, 2003, 06:01:56 PM »

Tarantino's and Leone's preference to use actors that have fallen out of the limelight seems to indicate they like getting actors perfect for the part regardless of their star power.

The casting of Forster was perfect. It's a shame we haven't seen him in more roles since then. With his casual style he appears to excel at acting like you're not acting. When William Macy appeared in Fargo you didn't see him in much of anything for a year or two and then he exploded and appeared it tons of films. I hope the same thing happens to Forster.

I really wish Samuel L. Jackson would be more selective in his roles. He has some outstanding performances but he also appears in some films that are just straight trash (XXX, Deep Blue Sea, Great White Hype).  

shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

« #20 : December 04, 2003, 01:28:09 PM »

I saw at least a half dozen interviews of Tarantino since 1998 and he had always said that he's favourite director is Leone.

Each one for himself, and God against all.
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

« #21 : February 22, 2004, 01:17:33 PM »

on a slightly different note, does anyone else think the short hotel proprietor in few dollars more looks a bit like tarantino?

It's class.
Walter
Bandido

« #22 : February 23, 2004, 04:25:14 AM »

I saw at least a half dozen interviews of Tarantino since 1998 and he had always said that he's favourite director is Leone.

I've seen that, too. In an interview on the Pulp Fiction-dvd he tells that he always called a dramatic close-up of an actor's face a "Leone". Also, the crew always knew what he meant without further explanation, which also says something about the respect they have for Leone.

By the way, I think Pam Grier was an absolute delight in Jackie Brown, and I really don't think the movie was a let-down at all.
No disrespect for who think differently, though.  

Dying ain't much of a living, boy
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

« #23 : February 23, 2004, 11:35:43 AM »

on a slightly different note, does anyone else think the short hotel proprietor in few dollars more looks a bit like tarantino?

There is quite a resemblance, although a somewhat shrunken version.  Hotelkeeper's wife had impressive "tracts of land" too, perhaps that inspired QT's casting of Pam Grier?

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

« #24 : August 18, 2004, 04:50:13 PM »

Not sure if following has been posted previously. But came across it last night.

Kill Bill director Quentin Tarantino will only feel artistically fulfilled when he's matched the cinematic genius of his idol Sergio Leone. The American movie-maker has been lauded as the most exciting director working in the world today, but he still believes he has a long way to go to leave a lasting legacy. He says, "I think I'm pretty good - but my favorite director is Sergio Leone. Hands down, he's the one who's influenced me most. I think as time goes on I can keep raising the ceiling of my talent and I'm determined to do it to the end of my career, which isn't the case with most directors. I'm not doing a job. This ain't a job. This is an art form. But I can't imagine doing something as perfect as the closing sequence in The Good, The Bad And The Ugly. I will always try to reach that, but I don't think I will ever get there. It is just so cinematically perfect."

« : August 18, 2004, 04:50:56 PM Belkin »

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
Bill Carson

« #25 : August 19, 2004, 10:13:56 AM »

8) hello Belkin. it's interesting how QT keeps popping up on the message boards, he certainly is a very accomplished film maker, however I still reckon that Robert Rodriguez's style is closer to Leone. Still, like I've mentioned elsewhere, I absolutely LOVE KILL BILL. the whole idea and the way it was executed was brilliant. and like I keep mentioning, I can't wait for INGLORIOUS BASTARDS. I just hope ol' Quentin sticks to the project and doesn't make some other crap in the style of (ugh!) Jackie Brown.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #26 : August 19, 2004, 05:33:52 PM »

Check out Enzo G. Castellari's "Inglorious Bastards".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076584/

Then read the message boads below.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Rinaldo
Road Apple

« #27 : August 19, 2004, 06:10:16 PM »

Tarantino is still very young and while he makes all the "correct" hommages to directors that came before him (and more accomplished than him) he still has a long way to go. Call me a traditionalist, but I think Kill Bill is one of the most over rated films of recent memory. On the other hand, Pulp Fiction is one of the funniest films I have ever seen and can watch it at least once a week.

Although it's a completely different kind of film, I think the fellow who directed Three Kings has the potential to be a Leone heir. Time will tell.

Naldo

Ify
Chicken Thief

Oh man, I shot Marvin in the face!

« #28 : September 05, 2004, 09:35:08 AM »

Can anyone tell me what  "Agua Caliente" is? It comes in one of Leone's films (I think For a Few Dollars More) and is also the name of the street in El Paso where the massacre in Kill Bill takes place.

Also, Tarantino has made various references to Leone and inspires to be like him, trying to make every scene perfect. He has said that Inglorious Bastards will be his Spaghetti Western. He wants it to be what GBU was to the Civil War, I can't wait!!

"This CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema. If i'd wanted all that computer game bullshit, I'd have gone home and stuck my dick in my Nintendo" -Quentin Tarantino
Lewis Hawk
Bandido

"Creuse..."

« #29 : September 05, 2004, 10:02:11 AM »

"agua caliente" is a mexican village near the frontier betwenn New Mexic and Mexic...
The final events of "For a few $ more" take place here.

And a large part of this movie takes place in "El Paso", so....

: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines