Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 08, 2021, 12:41:40 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  LEE VAN CLEEF.
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2 3
: LEE VAN CLEEF.  ( 30645 )
Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

« : December 16, 2004, 02:20:02 PM »

Thursday, 16 December, 2004

~ On This Day ~

1989: Lee Van Cleef dies, Oxnard, California, USA.

Sadly missed!

« : December 16, 2004, 02:20:29 PM Belkin »

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
KERMIT

« #1 : December 16, 2004, 06:12:09 PM »

Thursday, 16 December, 2004

~ On This Day ~

1989: Lee Van Cleef dies, Oxnard, California, USA.

Sadly missed!

sadly missed is right !  thank you belkin.  LVC was a personal hero of mine.  not just mortimer/angel eyes, ect. but all the charactor work he put in.  truly one of the all time great character actors.  

« : December 16, 2004, 10:36:06 PM KERMIT »
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #2 : December 17, 2004, 03:59:08 PM »

LVC was great in _Escape From New York_. Carpenter knew how to use him.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
CloseUpEye
Chicken Thief

"...Squish you like a wormy apple"

« #3 : December 18, 2004, 03:53:13 PM »

I always really liked the few LVC work I have seen myself. "Escape From New York" was a good role.

Seems that Carpenter tried to get great actors that fell off the map in US films. While it may have been budget, I think he more was into realizing a lot of talent can slip through the cracks in this "who is hot right now?" sham that's Hollywood.

It's a pity that outside the 'Dollars' and 'E F New York' that his work is hard to find here in the states. I would love to see much more of his work.

I often think it's like some great jazz men that come from here (US), some I personal know... hugely talented people, and "big" in Europe, selling out 20,000 people concert halls, then they play here and we are lucky in they fill a small bar in the rundown part of town.

I think, generally speaking, Europe realizes what is good, while US is just image image bullsh**.

I argee, Tarantino would have used him. I have talked to him once a few years back and he said "I LOVE THAT GUY!!" like we didn't know that before. ;)

Hail hail to LVC, seemly ego free, soft spoken and a gentle soul that could morph into anything he put his mind to. Your method of "less is more" are big here personally.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #4 : January 14, 2006, 08:38:08 AM »

Well, there's always Van Cleef's American Western films.

High Noon
The Tin Star
Gunfight at the O.K. Corral
The Bravados
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
How The West Was Won

To name a few. . .

Even though his were bit parts in all of those films, that's still quite an impressive resume, even without the Spaghetti Westerns.  And as the Colonel and Angel Eyes, he was, of course, beyond compare.

Saturday nights with Groggy
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #5 : January 14, 2006, 11:33:36 PM »

Before Leone, who knew who he was? I presume just a handful of aficionados. A great american filmography, but only in the light of what he did after he came over here. I don't think he did show he was something more than an impressive face in his american movies. It was Leone who turned him into a full-fledged actor.   
What is beyond explanation though is how, after his glorious european holiday, couldn't find a stable place in Hollywood until Carpenter picked him up. Probably the american directors of the '70's and '80's weren't watching SW's? Or did he have a bad reputation because of his drinking habits?

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #6 : January 17, 2006, 12:39:27 AM »

I should watch again these performances pre-Leone, I'll admit that. Still I was never impressed by him when I first saw these movies, in spite of having seen them after he became a star. But you're probably right, he was already an actor when he came over here, though I'd bet that Leone picked him only for his looks. Still what  doesn't rhyme with me is the after Europe career. I disagree that he had no place with the new genre of city thrillers: I can't think of many actors that could vie with him for both villain and hero roles; actually I could name many that couldn't match him and starred in more movies than him. That face (as redefined by Leone) was extraordinary, as everyone in this site easily understands. It is true that Hollywood's way are infinite: but the directors should have known better. They go for visual qualities not for what kind of movies you starred in: and LVC had to spare of the former.

roberti
Bandido

Jamais personne ne t'aimera comme je t'aime

« #7 : February 26, 2006, 02:22:41 PM »

1989 was a sad year for cinema:Lee van Cliff, John Cassavetes, Laurence Olivier, Bette Davis and ..Sergio Leone passed away.

Special mention for Charles Vanel (The Wages of Fear) and Jean Bouise (1989 as well )who was the funny old guy in both Luc Besson Dernier Combat and Big Blue.he had a ''lead'' role in I am Cuba (1964) a fantastic movie-documentary by a russian director,forbidden for years.

Regarding John fabulous Cassavetes, you could have a look at this website if you don't really know his work.
http://people.bu.edu/rcarney/

nota bene: John Cassavetes, Sergio Leone and Jean Bouise were all 60...

« : April 06, 2006, 10:58:20 AM roberti »

Ton nombril est une belle coupe arrondie ou jamais le vin ne manque, ton ventre est une vallee de ble entouree de lys, tes seins sont des grappes de raisin mur, ta bouche a la douceur de la pomme.
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #8 : March 05, 2006, 05:51:08 PM »

1989 was a sad year for cinema:Lee van Cliff, John Cassavetes, Laurence Olivier, Bette Davis and ..Sergio Leone passed away.

Special mention for Charles Vanel (The Wages of Fear) and Jean Bouise (1989 as well )who was the funny old guy in both Luc Besson Dernier Combat and Big Blue.

Regarding John fabulous Cassavetes, you could have a look at this website if you don't really know his work.

nota bene: John Cassavetes, Sergio Leone and Jean Bouise were all 60...

i have only seen one of cassevete's films "Shadows". I didnt care much for it.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
roberti
Bandido

Jamais personne ne t'aimera comme je t'aime

« #9 : March 06, 2006, 07:08:12 AM »

Well, John Cassavetes used to make a cinema d'auteur describing some aspects of the society, defending some values such as love and friendship. With Ben Gazzara (fabulous in Marco Ferreri's tales of ordinary madness) and Peter Falk, they were 3 good friends believing in and making excellent and intimist cinema opposed to insipid Hollywood productions.

Sergio Leone used to say that he was the greatest american director (quoted from conversation avec sergio leone, noel simsolo)

« : April 06, 2006, 10:42:03 AM roberti »

Ton nombril est une belle coupe arrondie ou jamais le vin ne manque, ton ventre est une vallee de ble entouree de lys, tes seins sont des grappes de raisin mur, ta bouche a la douceur de la pomme.
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

« #10 : August 20, 2006, 12:14:33 AM »

Looking at this old thing again I realized I said nothing about Van Cleef which is basically a sin to me as he is my favorite action star.

You can say I have a bit of a man crush for the guy. He was never big at home but he will always be bigger and better then any other action star of his time (and the next) in my eyes.

Now that I have seen all of his spags and American westerns (his starring roles) I will branch out into his other works. Looking forward to it very much.  :D

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #11 : August 20, 2006, 03:55:48 AM »

Now that I have seen all of his spags and American westerns (his starring roles) I will branch out into his other works. Looking forward to it very much.  :D
I've seen him in The Octagon,Escape From New York and Armed Response.All good films! ;)

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

« #12 : August 20, 2006, 05:40:41 PM »

From Wikipedia-
"Lee Van Cleef died from a heart attack in Oxnard, California and was interred in Forest Lawn - Hollywood Hills Cemetery in Los Angeles. His gravestone says "Lee Van Cleef Jan 9, 1925 - Dec 16, 1989 'Best of the Bad' Love and Light"."

Here is a picture of his grave and head stone...

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pif&GRid=2175&PIgrid=2175&PIcrid=7975&ShowCemPhotos=Y&

I was at California just recently and I'm now kicking myself for not visiting and paying my respects. Oh well...hopefully next time...

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #13 : August 21, 2006, 11:41:25 AM »

From Wikipedia-
"Lee Van Cleef died from a heart attack in Oxnard, California and was interred in Forest Lawn - Hollywood Hills Cemetery in Los Angeles. His gravestone says "Lee Van Cleef Jan 9, 1925 - Dec 16, 1989 'Best of the Bad' Love and Light"."

Here is a picture of his grave and head stone...

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pif&GRid=2175&PIgrid=2175&PIcrid=7975&ShowCemPhotos=Y&

I was at California just recently and I'm now kicking myself for not visiting and paying my respects. Oh well...hopefully next time...

Wish his head stone was larger.  :(

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

« #14 : August 21, 2006, 12:23:28 PM »

Wish his head stone was larger.  :(

I like it better that it's small. It shows that he never wished to be a flashy attention seeker unlike most celebritys.

: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines