Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 02:09:01 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  South of Heaven, West of Hell
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: South of Heaven, West of Hell  (Read 1942 times)
Christopher
« on: March 24, 2005, 04:06:52 PM »

According to the IMDb, South of Heaven, West of Hell was in U.S. theaters for exactly one weekend in 2001. Shocked

Probably explains why I'd never heard of it when I saw it at the video store the other day. It stars Dwight Yoakam, who also co-wrote, directed, and scored the movie (you see his name quite a bit during the opening and closing credits Cheesy). It has an all star cast, though some of the stars like Billy Bob Thornton and Peter Fonda have fairly small roles. Bridget Fonda is good in it, as she always is.

At first, I wasn't sure if I'd like it or not. I tend to be a little leery of modern westerns unless they're being made by well known filmmakers (Open Range comes to mind), but I liked this one. Vince Vaughn probably gave the most questionable performance out of the bunch. In the beginning when he first came on screen, he sounded like he was reciting "western dialogue," but I guess he did get better as it went, or maybe I just got used to it (I mean, Vaughn usually is a pretty good actor). I also think maybe the dialogue was purposefully written like that. There are some funny lines in the movie.

But if nothing else, there's plenty gunfire and blood in the movie. Wink

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 01:15:45 PM »

I admit I understood only half of what went on the screen and I didn't bother for a further effort. Actually I didn't understand the why of the middle part between the first bank heist and the second, more elaborated coup. Practically the part featuring Thornton and Peter Fonda (and Matt Clark). Suspicion arises the presence of this actors was unexpected and some made up on the spot something to make room for them.  A pity because the action parts are very violent and in a SW vein. I don't like the protagonist (who looks not at all like a hero or anti-hero and does little to persuade us he could be one of the two). Some nude (and more than a hint at paedophily) m ake this a rather bizarre experience, though a drudgy one. The OST is in a rycooderish vein but by one with more modest gifts.  4\10. 

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM