Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 01:23:10 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Mannaja aka A Man Called Blade (1977)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mannaja aka A Man Called Blade (1977)  (Read 19099 times)
Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2006, 05:46:32 PM »

I love Mannaja, great movie. Some of the most controlled cinematography I've seen in a non-Leone western, great editing. I love how the quality of the look is similar to movies like Unforgiven rather than the obvious 60's look. You could tell it was late 70's. The music is goofy, but it's hilarious and will stay in your head for a while!

Nice, carefully crafted story. Overall it's an interesting SW experience, I enjoyed it.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2006, 10:38:42 PM »

Nice, carefully crafted story. Overall it's an interesting SW experience, I enjoyed it.

It mainly suffers from it's slow second act due to the romance sub-plot. The last 30 minutes are really exciting though.
Like "Keoma" the soundtrack is hated by most but I really enjoy it.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2006, 03:47:26 PM »

I reall enjoyed this film also if I remember correctly  Smiley

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2006, 03:50:40 PM »

It mainly suffers from it's slow second act due to the romance sub-plot. The last 30 minutes are really exciting though.

The music in Keoma sure is . . . .  Intertesting. I actually kinda liked it. Especially listening to my voice crackle whenever I try to sing it to myself.

Anways, I watched Ace High last night. Of course, seeing Eli in any movie is great, but this movie didn't impress me too much. At first I thought it was quite good, but then later (once they've started all that gambling) it lost a lot of its flair. Which was then summed up by a very bleak ending. The showdown could've been interesting, but was much too abrupt. The ending as a hole was very, very abrupt. Not a must-see.

58%

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2006, 08:35:27 PM »

The Keoma music is very freaky deaky but it's kind of nice. Don't listen to it when you're in a pissed off or annoyed mood, however, because the soundtrack will only make matters worse.  Grin

( the soundtrack does get a bit annoying )

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2006, 08:41:12 PM »

Just got done watching Sabata. Wow! What a treat! I, personally, thought it was great. I've heard it described as "The James Bond of Spaghetti Westerns," and I think that description is spot on. Complete with the fancy gadgets (like Sartana's extra-special Derringer and Winchester with a barrel extension [he always has a new trick up his sleeve]) and cartoonish-ness (like the characters of Banjo and the Acrobat.) I highly recommend this one.

88%

« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 09:11:27 PM by Silenzio » Logged
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2006, 08:44:22 PM »

Just got done watching Sabata. Wow! What a treat! I, personally, thought it was great. I've heard it described as "The James Bond of Spaghetti Westerns," and I think that description is spot on. Complete with the fancy gadgets and cartoonish-ness (like the characters of Banjo and the Acrobat.) I highly recommend this one.

88%

Were you able to see it in widescreen?

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2006, 09:09:54 PM »

Were you able to see it in widescreen?

Yep.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2006, 05:56:44 PM »

. Which was then summed up by a very bleak ending.

58%

SPOILERS

would'nt call the ending bleak, even though Eli gets shot he does'nt die.

the showdown was good. Wonderfully shot.
What I thought was a bit too jokey was Eli's character asking for music. At that point I laughed out loud at how stupid that sounded. It's almost like a farce. you know music accompanies a showdown but yet you get a character asking for music?
If it was meant to be a joke, fine...but I dont think that was the intention.

SPOILERS END

since you did'nt think much of this film I advise you to stay  away from it's lackluster sequel "Boot Hill", which is far worse then this could ever be.

Try to check out the first film in the trilogy "God Forgives, I dont".

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2006, 08:08:07 PM »

SPOILERS

would'nt call the ending bleak, even though Eli gets shot he does'nt die.

the showdown was good. Wonderfully shot.
What I thought was a bit too jokey was Eli's character asking for music. At that point I laughed out loud at how stupid that sounded. It's almost like a farce. you know music accompanies a showdown but yet you get a character asking for music?
If it was meant to be a joke, fine...but I dont think that was the intention.

SPOILERS END

since you did'nt think much of this film I advise you to stay  away from it's lackluster sequel "Boot Hill", which is far worse then this could ever be.

Try to check out the first film in the trilogy "God Forgives, I dont".

If you ask me, this film just kind of . . . ends. I thought the showdown was neat, but it was pretty short. And, I agree with you, the fact that he asked for music was lame. I've wanted to see "God Forgives, I don't" ever since I heard the title.

So, today I watched They Call me Trinity, I thought it was pretty good. I think Hill and Spencer do better in this more comedic  role than in Ace High, which I wasn't too fond of. I'm not going to go into much in any of my reviews (if you haven't noticed the short reviews of all the other movies), so I'm just going to cut to the chase and give you a percentage:

73%

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2006, 08:14:57 PM »

If you ask me, this film just kind of . . . ends. I thought the showdown was neat, but it was pretty short. And, I agree with you, the fact that he asked for music was lame. I've wanted to see "God Forgives, I don't" ever since I heard the title.

So, today I watched They Call me Trinity, I thought it was pretty good. I think Hill and Spencer do better in this more comedic  role than in Ace High, which I wasn't too fond of. I'm not going to go into much in any of my reviews (if you haven't noticed the short reviews of all the other movies), so I'm just going to cut to the chase and give you a percentage:

73%

I didn't really want to see Ace High too much, like you Silenzio I really want to see God Forgives...I Don't.

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2006, 08:18:23 PM »

I didn't really want to see Ace High too much, like you Silenzio I really want to see God Forgives...I Don't.

I just love that title.  Cool

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2006, 03:21:31 AM »

Yes,its a great soundtrack and i can't think of anyone that could've bettered it for this particular movie,even Morricone.Its a shame we never heard more of this type of  folk scores in the sw's and its very apt that the female vocalist provides the right kind of Native American Indian (Buffy Saint-Marie?) flavoured vocal which helped provide some very powerful moments.
Anyway its better to have a musical score that gets the sort of reaction that some either totally love(or hate),than something totally bland and forgetable.
    About God Forgives..I Don't,i wouldn't hold your breath if i were you! Undecided

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2006, 08:01:20 AM »

About God Forgives..I Don't,i wouldn't hold your breath if i were you! Undecided

It's bad?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2006, 09:58:05 AM »

For me once I get past the top 25 SW's they are all pretty bad, lol, I rather watch a bad AW.

I'm thinking now that maybe all Westerns should be judged together, and see how they fall out that way I'll work on a list and see what I can come up with though I know the list will be top heavy with SW's  Cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM