Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 06:46:59 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  HELL IN THE PACIFIC
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: HELL IN THE PACIFIC  (Read 2191 times)
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« on: December 23, 2004, 04:44:53 PM »

If you can get BBC2 and happen to be online, Hell in the pacific, a US film with Toshiro Mifune in started at half eleven.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 11:51:41 AM by Banjo » Logged

It's class.
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 10:05:32 AM »

Well I don't suppose anyone else got to see this as it was a bit short notice but I have to say it was brilliant. Set in World War 2, if features two unnamed characters (Mifune opposite Lee Marvin) stranded on a desert island, neither of them speaking the other's language. At first they fight over what little resources they have, then they begin working together to find a way of escape. The final scenes in a bombed out army base are by turns heartwarming and disturbing. Overall a clever film about language and cultural barriers. Definately recommended.

In some ways kind of like Castaway but without Tom Hanks and that stupid football.  Wink

« Last Edit: December 24, 2004, 10:05:46 AM by redyred » Logged

It's class.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2004, 01:32:36 PM »

I saw it a while ago, its a good flick.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004, 10:16:26 AM »

Well I don''''''''t suppose anyone else got to see this as it was a bit short notice but I have to say it was brilliant. Set in World War 2, if features two unnamed characters (Mifune opposite Lee Marvin) stranded on a desert island, neither of them speaking the other''''"s language. At first they fight over what little resources they have, then they begin working together to find a way of escape. The final scenes in a bombed out army base are by turns heartwarming and disturbing. Overall a clever film about language and cultural barriers. Definately recommended.

Originally Marvin and Mifune after that ''Believe in God?/Life, War'' rant at the end, were suppose to just simpily walk off in opposite directions of the island.
The producers took the film off Boorman in post production and slapped that piece of stock footage on the end, of the bunker blowing up. Spoon feeding the ''WAR IS BAD'' idea as a ending, aspose the two men reseting their opinions back to the begining of the film.
Which i think works better, a keeping with the absurdity of the film in its first hour. Both men reduced to childish games. In keeping with Lord of the Flies idea.

The original ending does crop up now and again. Some original european prints used this cut. I think its been a extra on some DVDs too.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 10:30:50 AM by The Smoker » Logged

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 12:14:08 AM »

I wanna see this so bad. I thought I'd bump it up to get some more opinion's about it.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM