Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2017, 04:12:33 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Tepepa aka (Blood & Guns) 1968
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tepepa aka (Blood & Guns) 1968  (Read 10670 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: December 24, 2004, 06:40:57 AM »

Giulio Petroni director of "Death Rides a Horse" made three other western films this is one of them.

I watched an uncut version of Giulio Petroni''s Tepepa (Blood & Guns), a Zapata western that stars Tomas Milian, a very oily looking Orson Welles, and John Steiner. Here is another example of a flawless SW film that never got much attention in the flood of SW''s that washed out of Europe in the late 60''s. Its your typical political Zapata, but worth a see, it also has a great Morricone score. Its a serious Zapata, no fun nad games like Corbucci''s entrants into the genre.The only draw back is that in the English dubbed version (the dubbing is not noticeable) where the film was cut for the English market all the sound drops off, a pity.

Milian plays a peasant who becomes a revolutionary hero who wins and the result is that though they have won some reforms  the army he was fighting against is back in power and this power again becomes corrupted. The sadistic colonel (Welles) in charge of the area in which Tepepa lives goes after him. Steiner plays a doctor also after Tepepa for for personal reasons (unbeknownst to Tepepa) for a wrong commited against a love interest. This all takes place after 1911

The big thing to remember with these Zapata Westerns is that they realy are not westerns in the true sense of the Genre. There are no gundowns, no standoffs, no smoke filled saloons, barely any of the western set pieces associated with your typical westerns. There are gun battles, and mind battles, betrayals, bandaleros, sombrero''s, etc. You almost have to judge them in a seperate catagory.

I guess the English cut "Blood and Guns" cuts out a lot of the explanations of character motivations from "Tepepa" (1968), I say guess because there are no subtitles and you are not entierly sure. A couple of curious things in this film there is a scene where a Mexican child asks Stiener "if he likes Mexico" this is the same question asked by a child of Lou Castel in "A Bullet for the General" (1967) the stories are both written by Solinas so it is a curiosity that it was used once again it both the question is asked of the gringo. Another noticeable little factoid is that Morricone used what sounds like almost the same chords to a very different effect between "Death Rides A Horse" and the main "Tepepa" theme, one style is driven with a metalic sounding pan flute highlight with chanting while Tepepa it''s all melodic Spanish giutar, its cool. I remember Morricone in an interview saying that he tried to use different musical styles for different directors, here its evident especilly when you get the chance to hear then back to back.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2005, 06:46:51 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 05:46:20 PM »

I found this review lying way way down in these pages and i'm surprised this movie hasn't been talked about more.I think its a very well made Petroni western though lacking the excitement of Death Rides A Horse but there are so wonderful set pieces which make up for this ,and really Milian,Steiner and Welles make this one essential.  Afro

Who else has seen this?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 06:45:50 PM »

Its not readily available in the US so I wouldn't think many here have seen it.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 07:28:22 PM »

I've downloaded this one off of the internet.  I haven't gotten around to watching it yet, though.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 08:44:54 PM »

Don't care for it.
It's a build up movie but it builds up to something we see coming a mile away.

This is my least favorite Petroni. Hell I enjoy the "Providence" movie more than I enjoy this. At least that has a great soundtrack.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 01:57:08 AM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 10:17:56 AM »

Just watched.

Afro Afro Afro

But: I had no subtitles (not evenEnglish) and isn't al clear. What's the connetion between the gringo and the girl in flashback? She's a mexican, they can't be kins, was she his fiancée or what? I hated that gringo. Not a good guy...

SPOILER

Poor hero.  Cry He should not die.  Cry

SPOILER END

Milian is great! And I love how he speeks. But Orson Welles' speech is hard to understand if you are not so good in English.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 10:57:23 AM »

I saw this at the theatre and didn't like it too much at the time. I rewatched it recently, (actually bought the italian SE) and didn't like it too much either. Well, I liked it in places. Now it is more than a year since I last saw it and can't be too balanced in my judgement. What I didn't like 40 years ago and last year too is Welles' performance. Milian and Steiner (one of my favourite '60-'70's actors, among the most underrated) are OK, but Welles (who never persuaded me as a actor except in some rare movie) is no good at all.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 02:17:24 PM »

I recently restored it for myself. The German theatrical version was cut beyond belief (55 cuts, 35 minutes I guess).

By now I like it very much. I saw it first in 1988 and disliked it (no wonder with almost 1/3 missing). Then I saw the Italian version about half a year ago and found it o.k., some scenes very good, some not well enough directed. But it gets better. I saw it yet another time and like it a lot by now. The locations feel like coming home (Guadix etc.), Milian is great, Welles doesn't have to be great, any film he's in has an added bonus. I love Mexico and Mexico-related films. I love the ending with the boy riding next to Tepepa..

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 03:27:07 PM »

The only matter with Orson Welles is that he doesn't look like a Mexican. But he was pretty evil.

OFF
Hear him in Manowar's Dark Avenger. Excellent.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 11:23:04 AM »

There are a lot of Mexicans that don't look stereotypically Mexican, that's not a problem for me at all, Mexicans can run a gamut from looking totally Native American to Irish.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 11:24:46 AM by cigar joe » Logged

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 12:55:55 PM »

And... also what was the backstory with the aristocrat girl? What was her relationship with the gringo? Okay, she danced with Tepepa and later he raped her, that's ok. Like FAFDM, typical. But how the gringo comes to this?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 10:25:19 PM »

Jill I've asked that same question all I have is a DVDr of the Pal version and there is no sound at all where the English wasn't dubbed and I can't use the menue to see what the subtitles say or if there even are any.

Titoli may be able to help us on this if we list the scenes and ask for the translations, it may be a fantasy or it may be an actual flashback depicting actual events.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2007, 10:30:35 PM »

And... also what was the backstory with the aristocrat girl? What was her relationship with the gringo? Okay, she danced with Tepepa and later he raped her, that's ok. Like FAFDM, typical. But how the gringo comes to this?

It's assumed he either loved her or had a past relationship with her.
That's what I got anyway.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2007, 10:44:47 PM »

whats up with f l a s h b a c k getting cencored? we have a glitch mods.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2007, 10:48:39 PM »

flashback

It's fine here.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: