Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 12:24:29 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Pale Rider (1985)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pale Rider (1985)  (Read 40760 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2005, 11:05:57 PM »

It may not be ego, just perhaps bad casting judgement, he gave a lot of parts to old friends, TV actors from Rawhide Days.

Take, Josey Wales, John Vernon is not exactly a heavy weight villian, in Joe Kidd, the villanry was spread out kinda equally between Lamar, Mingo, and the Duval character. Pale rider, same thing no memorable villan, High Plains Drifter, Geofry Lewis is more funny than really menacing. Two Mules nobody that I can remember, in Hang ''em High, Captian Madow was laughable (that whole ending was was a let down), and the Skipper Alan Hale, give me a break, Ringo was ok but didn''t last long neither did the Swede character.

I can think of a few good contemporary villans in recent movies, Daniel Day Lewis as the Butcher in Gangs of New York, Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal and Gary Oldham in Leon.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Beebs
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2005, 08:34:15 AM »

I have always wanted to find this passage ever since I heard the Johnny Cash song The Man Comes Around which reads it before the song. What is the passage in Pale Rider from? It goes somethin' like this. "And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts and I looked and Behold, a Pale Horse and the name that said on him was Death and Hell followed with him." The only other word I can think of are: "One of the four beasts saying ' come and see' and I saw and behold a white horse" then the Johnny Cash song starts talkin about the Judgment Day. One of my favorite songs: The Man Comes Around by Johnny Cash, look it up. he made it on his last album before he died.

Jack of Hearts
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2005, 08:48:18 AM »

Beebs, the quote is from the Book of Revelations, Chapter 6, verses 1-8 which deals with the four horses of the apocolypse, the end of the world, and all that goes with it.  The line is:

"I looked, and there before me was a pale horse! Its rider was named Death, and Hades was following close behind him."

Beebs
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2005, 08:53:33 AM »

Beebs, the quote is from the Book of Revelations, Chapter 6, verses 1-8 which deals with the four horses of the apocolypse, the end of the world, and all that goes with it.  The line is:

"I looked, and there before me was a pale horse! Its rider was named Death, and Hades was following close behind him."

Thanks, I had a feeling it was a Biblical verse but didnt think of where to look. I'm goin to look it up right now thanks again.

(My lucky card is King of Clubs and my lucky hand is King-7.)

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2005, 07:03:02 PM »

That's "Book of Revelation": singular, no "s".

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Beebs
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2005, 08:56:00 AM »

Thanks, I had never read that particular book of the Bible. Very very different.

Beebs
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2005, 09:01:26 AM »

The thought just came to me. Why is Clint shown as Death on the Pale Horse?  Sure he's a hired gun but he's the "miracle" to the tin pans. Of course, one version of The Bible that I read said the Pale Horse was a Pale Green Horse. In that case Clint is riding the First horse, the white one. "His rider was given a bow and a crown, and he rode out as a conquerer bent on conquest".

Any ideas? dave you sound like you know what your takin about Grin

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2005, 01:20:36 PM »

Rewatched it last week. I had watched it on TV many years ago and wasn't impressed (probably because of the dubbing). Very good movie. I think the director of Photography should have received an Academy Award. Whoever got it that year couldn't have possibly done better. Also, it is hard to remake a scene like that between Jack Palance and Elisha Cook jr. in Shane  and getting even. That is because the actor impersonating then bad one is just as terrifying as Palance, though reminding one physically of Randolph Scott: not a mean feat, I'd say. Sure he should have earned an Academy Award too. The religious crap is kept at bay and quite functional, like the romance. The girl in love with Eastwood is as lovely as Jennifer Connelly in OUTA: a pleasure for the eye. And also is good the method of not giving many explanations about Eastwood's past. I plan to rewatch it soon.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2005, 05:24:01 PM »

yeah i've seen it a few times, and as long as it's not pan and scan it's amazing... although i hated it P+S on tv

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
Bill Carson
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2005, 04:00:40 PM »

the strangest thing... the trailer for PALE RIDER features the same music from CHANNEL 4 NEWS! but it's a great movie!   Wink

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2005, 07:01:24 PM »

Let me to add something more about the photography. I don't usually go for scenes shot in the dark or semidarkness:  didn't enthuse so much for those, so much  celebrated, of Barry Lindon, maybe because they are ends to themselves (or maybe because  that was not the best K.'s movie). Tthe opening sequence of Godfather is wonderful, but without  much originality as to visual solutions.   Here the ones shot in the mine owner's office are all the way perfect because they are not an end to themselves but absolutely functional to the atmosphere of tension, both when Eastwood pays his visit there and when the sheriff peruses through the window the drunk miner.  The limited definition of faces' expressions clicks to the yet scarcely defined characters. It is these scenes that make me for the first time think of Eastwood as a director.

Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2006, 02:33:13 PM »

Clint is my favorite American western director and I really enjoyed High Plains Drifter, Outlaw Josey Wales and Unforgiven. I've heard some doubty reviews about Pale Rider. What do you think?

By the way did anyone else here feel that Sandra Locke's character in Josey Wales "cut through" the mood of the film? I love the movie and all, but upon her character first appearing I thought it lost mood before things felt settled again.

Has Leone ever commented on the Clint-directed westerns?

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2006, 02:36:49 PM »

Pale Rider is probably my Least favorite of Eastwood's westerns. The only real reason to watch it is because Clint's in it. But, other than that, you really could live without ever seeing it. And it completely pales to Clint's three best american westerns: Outlaw Josey Wales, High Plains Drifter, and Unforgiven.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2006, 02:44:00 PM »

Pale Rider is pretty good. Most of Clint's American westerns are better, but I still think it was a good movie.

I thought the worse Eastwood western done in the states is Hang 'em High. It's a good movie but it pales in comparison to the others.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2006, 03:09:23 PM »

By the way did anyone else here feel that Sandra Locke's character in Josey Wales "cut through" the mood of the film? I love the movie and all, but upon her character first appearing I thought it lost mood before things felt settled again.

Has Leone ever commented on the Clint-directed westerns?

Josey whales was great up until Sandra Locke showed up...thats all I'm gonna say on the subject...

In my "Once upon a time in Italy" book, in an interview, Leone is asked what he thought of Eastwood's Josey Whales...Leone responded by asking the interviewer what he thought about it...

"what do you think about it?"

a response like that can mean only one thing...he didnt care for it.

as for "Pale Rider"...I like it...and it is most certainly an entertaining film.  Clint's intro is probably the best of all his western intro's (outside the dollars trilogy).
Pale Rider is far better than "Joe Kidd" (blech) thats for sure.

If you can get it for, at most, $12.99 (which isnt hard to do) I say go for it!

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM