Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 09:15:33 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971)  (Read 36176 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2006, 01:50:33 AM »

High five brudda!

and that sound track is awesome isnt it?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2006, 06:15:39 AM »

I saw Jeremia Johnson when it first came out it was a good flick, now we need the Italian version where we actually get the real story of Jeremia "Liver Eating" Johnson  Cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
indio
Gunslinger

just a son of a bitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2006, 12:35:21 PM »

yeah its all great

That could just be cannon fire.
Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2006, 02:08:42 PM »

*Spoilers below regarding character types in the film*

Only had the chance to see it once so far, and was quite stunned by it. Leone himself seems to reference the film several times in ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA, even copying certain shots. Mrs. Miller, like Noodles is an opium addict, but is similar to Max in her rutheless determination to succeed, no matter what the cost.

In contrast MaCabe is just like Noodles, happy to make money, but essentialy a small time guy, content with what falls into his path.

That the film has a downbeat ending should come as a surprise to no one, as every single Altman film of the 1970 has a pretty grim ending, with the possible exception of MASH and THE LONG GOODBYE.

There was another thread on the film last year, where I gave my 2 cents worth:
http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1523.msg18394#msg18394

« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 02:11:29 PM by Juan Miranda » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2006, 05:22:23 PM »

Its kind of unique if you are not familiar with Altman's style, characters are introduced in a back handed way (its as if you are sitting in the saloon watching the action and trying to figure out the story from overheard conversations), and there are overlapping conversations where you get info and rumors and some stuff not related in any way, its kind of cool, and its not that hard to figure it out, after you watch it a few times you can pay more attention to the other conversations and characters and get just as entertained.

Its similar to the way Leone floods the visual sences with details, Altman does  audio sences with these little character studies of strange weird townfolk that work.

Another great effect is the way the town set is being built before your eyes, just as if it was a real boom town,  in one scene you see a bridge half built with a single long plank at the unfinnished deck end, so that the characters can cross to the bank, then ten minutes(days in the story) later the bridge is completed, same with some of the buildings.

Its worth getting just for its unique contribution to the genre. But that said there isn't very much shooting so don't expect that type of film, if you like HBO's Deadwood then this is for you. Andyou'll see the influences it gave to Keoma.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2006, 05:23:35 PM »

Its worth getting just for its unique contribution to the genre. But that said there isn't very much shooting so don't expect that type of film, if you like HBO's Deadwood then this is for you. Andyou'll see the influences it gave to Keoma.

I dont like Deadwood.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2006, 05:31:17 PM »

I dont like Deadwood.

well tell us why?

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2006, 05:33:31 PM »

well tell us why?

oh I am so sorry Grin

My mistake.

um...
I honestly just dont think it is exciting. There I am waiting for some fabulous gunfight and it just never happens. All the grittyness is built up to nothing. Just a lot of cussing and blow jobs. People start threatening others in the show constantly but it just leads up to nothing.

Sorry I cannot elaborate more.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 05:41:46 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2006, 05:45:59 PM »

I honestly just dont think it is exciting. There I am waiting for some fabulous gunfight and it just never happens. All the grittyness is built up to nothing. Just a lot of cussing and blow jobs. People start threatening others in the show constantly but it just leads up to nothing.

Ok good i'll rephrase it then, its like Deadwood with a great payoff at the end.   Cool

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2006, 05:46:44 PM »

Ok good i'll rephrase it then, its like Deadwood with a great payoff at the end.   Cool

Sounds interesting then.

indio
Gunslinger

just a son of a bitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2006, 01:15:04 AM »

deadwood is my favorite tv show. ian mcshaine is amazing.

That could just be cannon fire.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2006, 11:01:39 PM »

I'm really surprized about how few of you have seen this film.

Anyway its a must for fans of the Western Genre, haunting and memorable, a cold rainy day snapshot of life in the Pacific Northwest.

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2006, 06:59:35 PM »

Anybody who loves movies full stop has to check out almost all of Robert Altman's work from this period. He was making some of the most exciting films in the world, in the world's most exciting period of film making.

For me, THE LONG GOODBYE, 3 WOMEN, M*A*S*H, IMAGES and NASHVILLE are all essential works of 1970's American cinema. His two Paul Newman vehicles from that decade are interesting too, QUINTET and BUFFALO BILL AND THE INDIANS, but remain flawed curiosities.

3 Women

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2006, 08:09:31 PM »

I've not seen Three Women, Quintet or Images, but I will.

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2006, 08:41:28 PM »

3 WOMEN actually has a lot of western genre content in it Joe. Here's my review of it from the Brit horror board.

Not British, I know, I know. Is it even horror? I will say that it's a rare film indeed that can freak me out quite as much as this one. Robert Altman has been responsible for some very odd cinema in the past, but his 1977 piece 3 WOMEN really pushes the boundaries of strangeness. Allegedly based on a nightmare Altman had, it stars Shelley Duvall (his favorite actress at that time), Sissy Spacek and Janice Rule.

Despite it's title, the movie is basically a two hander between Spacek and Duvall, who created much of  her character Millie herself. Millie is a gawky, vapid beanpole who wanders around  holding constant, one sided conversations about  men and food, while roundly ignored or mocked behind her back. She makes the most horrendous food this side of FELICIA'S JOURNEY, but considers herself to be an accomplished cook, with a chic look and sophisticated take  on life. A fag is constantly glued in her hand, which she waves around as a fashion accessory.

One morning at the geriatrics spa she works in, she has to show round a new employee, Pinky, played by Spacek as an impish, shy, awkward, decidedly weird and unfinished character. She instantly latches on to Millie, follows her around, appropriates her opinions, and becomes her new flat mate. Once installed in Millie's house, she begins to secretly read her diary and borrow her clothes.

Millie takes her to a run down Wild West bar called Dodge City, her favorite hang out. It's owned by the 3rd woman, the heavily pregnant Willie (Janice Rule in an almost dialogue free role) and her childish husband Edgar, a former stunt man. Willie is an artist, and her frightening murals adorn the bottom of a swimming pool at Dodge City and at Millie's apartment block, also owned by Willie and Edgar. The paintings themselves depict hideous, lizard like creatures, with the females tearing each other apart as a rampant male looks on.

Pinky embarrasses Millie by telling Willie she likes her paintings. Indeed almost everything Pinky does seems to embarrass Millie, wounding her sense of her own dignity. When Pinky apparently ruins a party Millie has organized (“I'm famous for my dinner parties.”), she storms out, gets drunk and brings home Willie's husband Edgar. A shocked Pinky begs her not to sleep with the man, prompting Millie to tell her to get out. Distraught, Pinky leaps into the swimming pool in an attempt to kill herself, but is rescued by Willie who sees her husband leave Millie's apartment. Pinky falls into a coma, and the relationship between Millie and Pinky begins to fracture and fragment in a whole series of new and bewildering directions.

This sense of a fractured self is all invasive through out the film, as Altman keeps his camera almost always on the move, slowly tracking, zooming in and out, panning and tilting. Mirrors and reflective surfaces abound, further cracking up the scope image. The first third of the film is dominated by pastel blues and pinks, but on Pinky's move into Millie's apartment, the palate changes to an alarming mix of yellows and purples. Several sequences are shot through one of those water and oil filmed tanks which rock from side to side, distorting and dividing the screen even further.

Altman returns to the murals again and again, which seem to depict some horrendous and never ending primal battle, a series of unconscious, aggressive emotions ruling the world of the film. These bizarre forces eventually influence the movie's climax. This birth sequence is the most distressing and nasty Altman ever produced, creating yet another series of identity swaps among the women. It's a film that's difficult to talk about and analyze, as much of it seems to work in that space where meaning is conveyed by something other than language. Martin Scorsese once wrote that for him, watching a film was like dreaming, and he often found it difficult to “shake off the dream”. This is certainly my experience with 3 WOMEN, whenever I've watched it. Altman's nightmare film imparts grim feelings difficult to escape.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM