Films of Sergio Leone > Other Films

McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971)

<< < (19/33) > >>

cigar joe:
Was thinking again about Altman's masterpiece and came to the conclusion that the Leone film that "McCabe & Mrs Miller" is closest too in mood is actually "Once Upon A Time in America" it is a film about melancholy & regret.

dave jenkins:
And opium use. :D

cigar joe:

--- Quote ---And opium use.
--- End quote ---

Oh yes and opium use as well.

I surprized by the poll that still many have never seen this film.

cigar joe:
Great news (maybe) lol, anyway just checked the mailbox & lo & behold a used book of "McCabe" by Edmund Naughton has arrived in a 1991 reprint of the 1959 issue, cool.

Now I can expound upon this subject for all who care.  O0

Anyway here is Edmund Naughton's bio:

Edmund Naughton was born in 1926 in New York City, the son of two New Yorkers. He attended parochial school in New York, then Jesuit schools in New England, and graduated with an MFA from Fordham in 1953.

He went to Louisville, Kentucky to work as a police reporter, where he stayed for 5 years on the police beat, which he worked down to an average of an hour & a half's work per day. The rest of the time he spent playing cards and drinking beer with poliecemen. Once he went on an actual manhunt with them.

He wrote McCabe in 1957-1958, largely out of his experience on the poliece beat, transposing his characters to the West. the Film McCabe & Mrs. Miller was made in 1971, the same year his second book, The Pardner was published. There ahve been American, English & French editions of both books. His third book A Case in Madrid (Curtis) and the fourth The Maximun Game (Warner) were both published in the US. The books which followed, Wild Horses, and White Man, Black Man, were both published in French by Gallimard.

In 1958 he moved to Paris on the advance of McCabe. He landed a job with the Herald Tribune and decided to stay in Paris, where he has lived ever since working as both a journalist  (part time for The New York Times) and as an English Teacher. he also spent about five years in England..

Jill:
Well, I saw it first after the first watching of TGS, saying: Let's see two "snow westerns" in one night. It was too much. TGS is so sad and this, too. I was totally depressed.  ;D

The ending showdown is brilliant, but the whole movie is not so typical "western-ish". It's very dark and hopeless, and Mrs. Miller is soooo irritating.

SPOILER

Poor anti-hero dying in the snow alone and the whore is very happy with the opium... this was really sad.

SPOILER END

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version