Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 04, 2021, 09:46:52 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Bruce Lee a Leone fan??
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2
: Bruce Lee a Leone fan??  ( 13494 )
English Bob
Chicken Thief

« : February 17, 2003, 08:19:55 AM »

Has anyone noticed that the Bruce Lee film 'The Way of the Dragon' has a lot of the music from OUATITW? Bruce lee directed the film, so I guess that it must have been his choice to use that music. Was Bruce Lee a Leone fan? Or did he just hear Morricones track for the film and like it. Or am I wrong and he didn't choose the music himself at all. Any feedback would be mighty appreciated. Damn this has got my overworked and really quite immature imagination going.

Garry Cowell
Bandido

Did you bring a horse for me?

« #1 : February 19, 2003, 04:21:08 AM »

Indeed.

The whole of the kung fu boom in the 70's owes a lot to the Spaghetti Western boom in the 60's.

One could argue that the Kung Fu flicks kind of carried the torch when the westerns died.

Anyway. More specifically Bruce was a big fan of the Leone westerns simply by watching the way he framed a lot of shots in Way of the Dragon one can tell. Not to mention the fact he used Morricone's OUATITW music a lot. (Frank's guitar theme for Chuck Norris entrance, as well as 'The Trasgression' for the scene where a sniper is after Bruce and Nora). I believe in one of his letters to Warner's around the time of Enter the Dragon and his untimely death he mentions some sort of distribution deal of his film and name checked the Eastwood/Leone films as an example.

English Bob
Chicken Thief

« #2 : February 19, 2003, 06:01:12 AM »

Much obliged. On the same subject of Spaghetti Westerns/Kung Fu, there’s something else I found. It's (quite) a long story, but bear with me. Passing by my local video store yesterday I noticed a sale of old ex-rental videos. Knowing (as I suspect many on this board do) that fine discoveries can often be made in such things, in I go. Most of the stuff is of course pap, but I bought a couple of the better videos (for two quid you can’t really go wrong). Amongst the ones I ended up with was a video called ‘The best of Martial Arts’. So later on in the evening I’m watching it, and its not bad; the usual stuff, when up comes a sequence (I think they said it was from a series called ‘the Master’, but I could be wrong) featuring a fight between two all kicking, all sword fighting ninjas. I have no idea who one of the fighters was played by, but the other was played by none other than… Lee Van Cleef! What’s going on there then?

caius
Bandido

"bravo!"

« #3 : February 19, 2003, 06:28:22 AM »

Lee van cleef a ninja? your wording, "whats going on there," truley matches my amazement.  His grinning face is so perfect for a bit of over dub and quick close up on the face camera shots.  Alhtough i have to confess that i don't have much respect for kung fu movies, they bore me senseless

I hate signatures, so naf, but i had to put this up for a week or so to show my respect

r.i.p. joe strummer.  great man, great band
English Bob
Chicken Thief

« #4 : February 20, 2003, 06:32:11 AM »

Well, horses for courses.
Unfortunately you don’t actually get to see Van Cleef’s face much in the clip, or indeed hear him speak. Both the ninjas faces are covered by hoods, and they mostly just jump around trying to muller each other. It’s definitely Van Cleef though, you can tell by his eyes. That, plus the guy doing the commentary (John Saxon of Enter the Dragon fame no less) says so. In fact, it actually mentions Van Cleef’s name on the back of the video along with a list of other martial artists in the compilation. I think it even says ‘noted martial artists including (Bruce Lee etc etc)… and Lee Van Cleef’. But when exactly Lee Van Cleef became a noted martial artist is beyond me. Maybe his confidence was so badly damaged by the whupping he received from Indio’s gang in FAFDM he began training on the side, the sly old goat.

Garry Cowell
Bandido

« #5 : February 20, 2003, 12:11:35 PM »

Hey that Best of Martial Arts docu is the ultimate bluffers guide to HK cinema! ;D
All you need to do is watch it a couple of times and you can hold a conversation with anyone regarding the genre.

On a similar note...

Any of you fellas seen the cross over Martial Arts / Spaghetti Westerns like Shanghai Joe (piss poor) or Today It's Me... Tomorrow It's You! (cool western with Kurosawa regular Tatsuya Nakadai as the baddie)

Sean Sean
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

« #6 : March 07, 2003, 10:50:14 AM »

The picture of Lee Van Cleef is great !!!!
Actualy it belongs to a TV series he did called something like " the ninja master " .I remember I watched it when I was a kid. I hope Bruce Lee was a Leone fan, because in his movies his character always remainded me of Leone's, and this, I hope, was a sign that Bruce knew Leone's work in a deep way, beyond " super zooms " to the actors's faces. I think Bruce, if he wasn't dead, would' ve done everything to work in a Leone movie ( if he wasn't also dead ), and the worst, I think they would've made a great movie together...

English Bob
Chicken Thief

« #7 : March 12, 2003, 05:53:28 AM »

Damn Straight! Leone and Lee – Imagine it! But hey: maybe it’s not too late. Bruce aint dead; he’s just resting. And Leone? Well, his body may be dead, but his mind lives on…
…Cryogenically frozen in a hidden institute somewhere in deepest Italy! ahem. maybe.

Mr.Filmbuff
Road Apple

Here is a man who stood up

« #8 : June 10, 2003, 05:55:41 PM »

I can imagine Bruce Lee and Lee Van Cleef sharing a spaghetti western/martial arts film together. Better than that Shanghai Noon crap. Directed by Sergio Leone, Fight Scenes Chreographed by Bruce Lee, and Music by Ennio Morricone.

Garry Cowell
Bandido

« #9 : June 11, 2003, 01:57:39 AM »

I can imagine Bruce Lee and Lee Van Cleef sharing a spaghetti western/martial arts film together. Better than that Shanghai Noon crap. Directed by Sergio Leone, Fight Scenes Chreographed by Bruce Lee, and Music by Ennio Morricone.
Indeed! Here's the trailer! ;D (It' Lo LIEH! Not Bruce LEE tho'!) ;)

Mr.Filmbuff
Road Apple

Here is a man who stood up

« #10 : June 11, 2003, 06:50:53 PM »

OH MY FREAKING GOSH,I need to see that movie.

aaronson
Gunslinger

« #11 : June 14, 2003, 03:13:31 AM »

There is a wonderful film with David Chiang and Ti Lung "Tiger rage or The Rage of the tiger (La rage du Tigre is the french title).
During the generic (you say Trailer?) the music is very spagh.

By the way see this film , it is terrific

sempre sempre ci ni sara banditinelli in macchia Corsa
Charles Buchinsky
Road Apple

Your bag, Señor?

« #12 : September 08, 2003, 04:23:44 PM »

Among the coincidences between these two giants, you know I mean Bruce Lee and Sergio Leone, we should remember that the series Kung Fu kame from the mind of Mr. Lee, although his idea was stolen and David Caradine played the starring role. As you all know, Kung Fu was the story of an alien in China, who ended up in a shaolin temple where he learned the martial arts of kung fu. Then he traveled to America in search of his half brother in the late 19th century, in the western era.

Only now do you think of them, Tuco? To begin, after nine years.
Charles Buchinsky
Road Apple

Your bag, Señor?

« #13 : September 08, 2003, 04:26:17 PM »

What else could I say? Only the fact that James Coburn, I mean Sean in Giu´ la testa or Duck, you sucker, was learner and personal friend of Bruce Lee. Another big coincidence.

Only now do you think of them, Tuco? To begin, after nine years.
Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

« #14 : January 03, 2004, 03:44:49 AM »

Has anyone noticed that the Bruce Lee film 'The Way of the Dragon' has a lot of the music from OUATITW?

So let me get this straight:some of the music in The Way of the Dragon is exactly the same as in OUATITW?  :o

So they are playing the same music?No alterations on the OUATITW theme,but the very same music?

: [1] 2  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines