Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 04:23:29 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Hellbenders aka I crudeli (1967)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hellbenders aka I crudeli (1967)  (Read 32127 times)
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2005, 06:48:50 AM »

Its the new year. More Spaghetti nuggets on the way...

Corbucci post civil war, gold romp to be released in 2005. Starring Joseph Cotton.

go down to H with the sidebar

http://www.anchorbayentertainment.com/future/

Hope this is a run of movies like the last Spaghetti Western Collection from 2002 (Companeros, Bullet For General, Texas Adios etc)  Grin

« Last Edit: January 02, 2005, 06:59:43 AM by The Smoker » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 07:43:33 AM »

Yea but is it any good? I''ve had feast (great) and famine (crap) with Corbucci films, lol.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
spag fan
Bandido

It don't matter what I say, I'll dub it later.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2005, 07:49:06 AM »

Yes, it is good. Smiley

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2005, 07:59:42 AM »

Its a little over long in places. Some people would say a little boring. Its not for the short attention span. Cottons great.

Yea but is it any good? I''''ve had feast (great) and famine (crap) with Corbucci films, lol.

Its 1967.. More Mercenary than Django.. but without the laughs.  Grin

« Last Edit: January 02, 2005, 08:07:03 AM by The Smoker » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2005, 09:39:40 AM »

Well then something to look forward too.

Any of you seen "The Hills Run Red"?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 02:19:31 PM »

Welcome back Board!

Here's my review of Corbucci's The Hellbenders -

"Joseph Cotton stars as Jonah, an ex-confederate trying to keep the dreams of the south alive following General Lee's surrender. He and his sons, known as the Hellbenders, massacre a troop to steal the money that they are transporting, with the aim of using this prize to restart the confederate cause. The stolen loot is stored in a coffin, disguised as the dead Captain Ambrose, and transported across the desert to Jonah's home town. They are accompanied by a drunken whore, under the guise of Ambrose's mourning widow, supposedly transporting the dead man to his place of rest. The search for the troop's murderers is in full flow, but Jonah is a man obsessed with the cause, and nothing or no-one is going to stop him achieving his objective.....

Hellbenders is an absolute classic of the Spaghetti Western genre, standing proudly side by side fellow Corbucci classics Django and the Great Silence. It continues in Corbucci's usual vein, firing bullets of unjust and unexpected twists at the screen, as the plot spirals towards its grim finale. All the while, the engaging trumpet of Morricone's score becomes more and more pleasing to the ear.

The slow but gripping pace of the movie reminds me of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly, in the way that its story is joined together by a number of sub plots. But here there is little humour. Aside from Ben (Mateos) and Claire (Bengell), the Hellbenders are an ugly and evil lot. Cotton is compelling as Jonah, his deadpan expression superbly capturing the characters single-minded vision. Pernice (perhaps most famous for having his ear cut off in Django) is truly deranged as the equally perverted and dim-witted Jeff. There are also great cameo appearances from euro-western favourites Al Mulock, Aldo Sambrell and Benito Stefanelli.

The film does tend to plod rather than gallop in a number of places (and this is in no way a bad thing!), and its story is quite different from the majority of the films in the Spaghetti Western genre. But it is a compelling view, with the scene at the Fort and the excellent finale worth the price of admission in itself".

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 08:43:47 PM »

On my list of to gets, thanks for the review.

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005, 03:31:28 AM »

Thanks for the review Marco. Farely over looked spaghetti western. Only seen a natty VHS copy. Some say it has pacing problems. Proberly because most Spaghetti is quite punchy and quick outside GBU and this takes its time.

Anchorbay have this on there future DVD releases.. autumn time.

spag fan
Bandido

It don't matter what I say, I'll dub it later.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005, 06:33:21 AM »

This is one of my favorites. I like it better than The Great Silence even! Also, probably my favorite Morricone score.

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005, 04:15:27 PM »

It is a great score.  Funnily enough, I also think the plodding feel of the film is really endearing.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2005, 01:55:46 PM »

I'm curious about the quality of the dvd... is it watchable and if so where did you get it... i only know of a region 1 dvd which i've never heard bad or good one way or the other on quality.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2005, 06:26:43 AM »

Mine is an old old PAL video, but that new Fistful of DVDs site has the following info on The Hellbenders DVDs available - http://www.sundances.net/spaghetti/hellbenders.php

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2005, 08:15:02 PM »

thanks alot.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
JamesK
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 09:51:57 AM »

Anchor Bay has this on their future DVD releases.. autumn time.

I see that they're still listing it as "late 2005," though it doesn't get much later than right now.  Has anyone heard anything new about the release?  Are we looking at pushback into 2006, as it seems?

Out West: The All-Fiction Western 'Zine
--> Submit today! <--
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 10:30:38 AM »

I think I am definatly going to have check this film out. As we haven't heard any news yet James, I fear its going to be a 2006 release.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM