Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 07:59:10 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  De Niro's best acting role?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: De Niro's best acting role?  (Read 16366 times)
shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2003, 01:35:15 PM »

Just saw "Taxi Driver" and "Raging Bull" today on DVD. Considered De Niro's best acting roles....

I'm even more convinced OUTA was his best acting role ever...

Each one for himself, and God against all.
aaronson
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2003, 06:03:58 AM »

May be.  Don't forget another Italian Film: 1900 and overall  the superb Deer Hunter

sempre sempre ci ni sara banditinelli in macchia Corsa
shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2003, 02:00:48 PM »

Yes, you're wright, you're speaking about Bertolucci's Novencento, dont'you?

Excelent movie, and a great performance by De Niro, you're wright.

Again, a fabulous Morricone soundtrack..... (there's a curious association between De Niro's movies  and Morricone, OUTA, Novecento and the world famous "The Mission".

Good performance of De Niro in Deer Hunter too, but it's Christopher Walken who "steals" the movie.

TBPJMR
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2003, 12:22:15 AM »

To all those (great) performances mentioned hereby I would add Cape Fear.

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
aaronson
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2003, 08:11:49 AM »

To all those (great) performances mentioned hereby I would add Cape Fear.

Indeed, but nobody spoke about The Godfather. De Niro was excellent , no ?

sempre sempre ci ni sara banditinelli in macchia Corsa
shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2003, 01:10:29 PM »

He won the oscar for that role.

I just watched the Godfather trilgogy and the bonus dvd last week.

Did you know that De Niro was casted to do the Santino (Sonny) Corleone character (lately interpreted by James Caan)?

In the Bonus Dvd you can also find the images of De Niro casting for the role.

Man with no dame
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 05:04:17 AM »

I always found King of Comedy to be one of his best. He was at his quirky best, in a role similar in style to Perkins in Psycho. The Mission and Cape Fear would be my runner-ups. Deer Hunter and Taxi Driver seem very slow and dated now.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 07:51:54 AM »

I always found King of Comedy to be one of his best. He was at his quirky best, in a role similar in style to Perkins in Psycho. The Mission and Cape Fear would be my runner-ups. Deer Hunter and Taxi Driver seem very slow and dated now.
Taxi Driver slow and dated? Shocked What's the next thing today's ADHD-kids will come up with? Grin

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 12:48:03 PM »

Overall, I would have to give it to Raging Bull. His obsessive, pyschotic portrayal of Lamotta was one of the finer performances that I have ever seen. America, Mean Streets and King Of Comedy aren't too far behind though.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 08:38:37 PM »

I would have to agree with you Tuco.  I would say Raging Bull as well.  After that I would have to give consideration to Taxi Driver and Mean Streets.  I liked his performance in King Of Comedy as well.   I haven't seen that one in some time.  I need to revisit it.  OUATIA is most definitely up there.  It's really a quite fine understated performance.  I guess the history and box office failure of the film overshadowed a lot of the performances.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 11:44:19 PM »

His greatest perfomance is a toss up between "Raging Bull" and "The Deer Hunter" in my opinion.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Man with no dame
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 07:42:37 AM »

What's the next thing today's ADHD-kids will come up with?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    I'm not quite sure what this means, Moviesceleton?

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 08:33:49 AM »

I'm not quite sure what this means, Moviesceleton?
God dammit! Again I tried to use too difficult English. I promise to stick to simple sentences henceforth.  Sad

I tried to be funny here  Wink. Never mind... I just meant that you, kid, have to have ADHD since you think Taxidriver is slow.

PS. Yes, I know you're like three times older than I am, but that was meant to be the funny point.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Man with no dame
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 08:40:22 AM »

God dammit! Again I tried to use too difficult English. I promise to stick to simple sentences henceforth.  Sad

I tried to be funny here  Wink. Never mind... I just meant that you, kid, have to have ADHD since you think Taxidriver is slow.

PS. Yes, I know you're like three times older than I am, but that was meant to be the funny point.
  I mean, what is ADHD? Elderly man in Miami wants to know.

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 04:29:14 PM »

TAXI DRIVER. Simple as that. He is in almost every single shot, and in much of the film his performance is dialogue free. He must project the complexity of Bickle purely through the eyes and his body language. This he does superlatively, one of the greatest acting jobs ever captured on film, end of story. Where does a man go to get that fearsome blankness in his eyes in that enormous close up at the picture's climax where he puts his bloody finger to his shaved head and hisses that gunshot "phssssooo"?

Yes, he's been more physically showy in RAGING BULL and THE KING OF COMEDY, but they are more dialogue heavy roles. He only really matched his TAXI DRIVER "other place" intensity in the Russian roulette scenes in THE DEER HUNTER. For me though Travis Bickle is an incredible creation. Another actor could have taken that script and merely played a one note monster.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM