Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 06:54:28 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Colossus of Rhodes (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Old General thread!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Old General thread!  (Read 46615 times)
rrosefelt
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2003, 12:58:34 AM »

Leone's first film is available in widescreen on DVD and can be found from various websites like Luminous Video  http://www.lfvw.com/colossus_dvd.html.   The only thing is, it's not subtitled and you'd need an all-systems DVD player to watch it.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 09:18:00 AM by Banjo » Logged
Halis
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2003, 06:20:47 AM »

No, I would not recommend you getting that one. It's the French version and it's a bit short, even with the alternative Italian versions of two particular scenes.

You should be getting the Italian DVD released by CVC, DS12S335. It's 2.35:1 anamorphic, region2, but with Italian dialogue only. It runs at least ten minutes longer.

You'll have to get it from Italy, though, and most DVD sellers have it. Try www.dvd.it

Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2003, 10:49:41 AM »

I was wondering if this is also such a great film Leone made?

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
Halis
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2003, 06:14:42 AM »

I think it would all depend on whether or not you liked Sword and Sandal epics. It is a great movie within the genre, an absolutely massive and spectacular work with lots of recogniseable Leone touches.
But if you dislike Sword and Sandal, you'll not necessarily warm to this one, no matter how brilliant it is.

Il Buono
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2003, 04:42:34 PM »

Don't worry, Sword and Sandal Epics rock... Cool

Halis
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2003, 04:44:47 PM »

Then you'll love it, you'll adore it, you'll worship it, and your life wil be changed forever.

Il Buono
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2003, 09:12:04 AM »

Wow, sounds kind of heavy.  I can't imagine it to be better than Ben-Hur...?!

Halis
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2003, 04:03:15 PM »

Well ultimately, you may think it isn't.

I wasn't a huge fan of BEN-HUR first time around, but even less-so now.
I felt that Wyler was intimidated by the Camera 65 process and too scared to cut. Consequently scenes are often played out as wide shots, with the camera staying on one side of the action like viewing a stage play.
There are some close-ups, but not many, and the only part of the film that feels like a film is the Chariot race which Wyler did not direct.
I find the whole film overlong and, again apart from the chariot race, monumentally dull and boring.

COLOSSUS, on the other hand, is vibrant and full of energy, with lots of cool camerawork and nifty editing.
Just compare the dull staging of the BEN-HUR banquet at Arrius' mansion with the fluidity of the banquet in COLOSSUS where the assassin is forced to drink his own poison.
Sure the acting of minor characters in Leone films can always be a bit embarassing, but there's no questioning the superiority of his visual style.

That's my opinion - you may disagree.

Il Buono
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2003, 08:26:30 AM »

I know what you mean, the film is in modern standard a bit slow and maybe a bit dated.  But anyway, I still like it, especially the boat capturing scene and the chariot race...  It's also a film with a great story I think, how the story is woven through the history of JC...  But I can understand if people don't like it.  But I'll certainly check 'the Colossus' out (if I ever find it...).

The clint
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2003, 08:19:14 AM »

Maltin's movie guide complains of bad dubbing... But that is the case with A Fistful of Dollars as well. I can't imagine how it could better Ben-Hur... but life is full of surprises, a low budget Italian sword and sandal film might as well be better than a huge, expensive american made epic running 3 1/2 hours with an all-star cast and filmed in 70 mm ultra wide 2.76:1 ratio. But wasn't Leone in some part related to Ben-Hur (Second unit director if I recollect correctly)?

Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2003, 01:45:34 AM »

I have a video copy of this taped from TV ages ago.I would not say it is a classic like Ben Hur[which despite it's faults is I think still a classic movie]and neither is it as good as Leone's other films,I think it's obvious that Leone was not particularly interested in the sword/sandal or 'peplum' genre but he had to make one because that was the trend at the time in Italy.Nevertheless,still check it out,it is great fun.There are some great action scenes,esp a fight on the actual colossus,and you can see Leone starting to experiment a bit with stylev although he was probasbly constrained by the ,well-established,genre.With te western ,not that many had been made in Italy and Leone felt he did not have to conform to a particular style.

DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2004, 07:59:09 AM »

Just wondered whether anyone was interested in leones directorial debut...the colossus of rhodes.
It was shown on BBC Two (UK) today and i wondered whether anyone else had any kind of interest in his pre-spaghetti days. I have yet to see it so i cant pass any judgement!! Cool

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2004, 08:54:28 AM »

just saw it. It was pretty good. You wouldn't know it was a Leone - he doesn't seem to have developed his style yet at that point, and of course the script and setting is very different to his westerns anyway. But still, it was an above average sword-and-sandle, slave revolt flick.

It's class.
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2004, 02:48:04 PM »

Yeah Cheesy .set my video recorder for 1:00 - 3:00 before going to work this morning.
Hope to watch it this weekend. Took a little look. Its in widescreen, not a bad MGM print either.

Its real funny thing i actually remember watchin a movie when i was real young with a gigantic statue in it.
(Not Jason and the Argonauts) and a slave revolt.
At my grandparents house one lazy winter sunday afternoon.
It only really dawned on me while reading about Leone's first proper director debut in Frayling's Book.

Maybe it was my first Leone film experience.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2004, 07:18:52 PM »

he directed the collosus of rhodes? i thought he just codirected and only did some select scenes... i was  only aware of the big 6... not this one... did he really have that big a role in the making of this film? if so i gotta see it

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM