Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 18, 2018, 09:19:40 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Name Your Top 20 Westerns of all time...
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 [3]
: Name Your Top 20 Westerns of all time...  ( 2277 )
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #30 : January 19, 2018, 10:19:53 AM »

Not mentioned...

I've always enjoyed "How the West was Won" in all its "3-strip Cinerama" splendor...

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #31 : January 19, 2018, 12:58:24 PM »

A typical Christmas movie for me :) its 3 strip cinerama looks really weird on modern TVs.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

« #32 : January 21, 2018, 12:02:13 AM »

I didnít count Giu La Testa as a western. It would be in my top 10 if I did.

Agree.

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #33 : January 21, 2018, 03:06:21 AM »

Hmm, I don't agree. In the end Giu la testa is definitely western (but also a war film), but never in any top 10 of mine. (... but wait, hey ...  it is in my top 10 of Leone films though). Giu la testa has a lot to offer, but also some heavy flaws. Theonly Leone western with a disappointingly directed ending.

And How The West Was won, not a great film, but much better than this overblown kind of a conformist mainstream western should be. Hathaway's enthusiastic directing saves a lot. 6/10

Moorman

« #34 : January 21, 2018, 10:03:30 AM »

If we are counting films that are not clear cut westerns, but have western elements, i would have The Treasure of the Sierra Madre in my top 10 or 15 westerns...

« : January 21, 2018, 10:06:58 AM Moorman »
Moorman

« #35 : January 24, 2018, 10:42:00 AM »

I'm gonna have to make a change to my list after viewing " The Great Silence ".  My top 5 will get shook up...

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #36 : January 25, 2018, 12:16:40 PM »

Hmm, I don't agree. In the end Giu la testa is definitely western (but also a war film), but never in any top 10 of mine. (... but wait, hey ...  it is in my top 10 of Leone films though). Giu la testa has a lot to offer, but also some heavy flaws. Theonly Leone western with a disappointingly directed ending.

And How The West Was won, not a great film, but much better than this overblown kind of a conformist mainstream western should be. Hathaway's enthusiastic directing saves a lot. 6/10

Yeah, I don't see how A Fistful of Dynamite isn't a western.

For me, my rule of everything set in the old west that takes place before or during the Mexican Revolution is a western. Everything that takes place after is a modern western.

Companeros, A Fistful of Dynamite, A Bullet for the General, etc = westerns
Bad Day at Black Rock, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Lonely Are the Brave, etc = modern westerns

« : January 25, 2018, 12:18:05 PM T.H. »

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
Moorman

« #37 : March 10, 2018, 11:52:44 AM »

After seeing The Great Silence, my list got shook up at the top.  Here is my revised top 5 of all time.  My Darling Clementine jumps one spot over The Oxbow Incident.  The rest of my top 20 stays the same with the exception of The Fastest Gun Alive dropping off into honorable mention because of the inclusion of The Great Silence to my list.

1.  The Great Silence
2.  Once Upon a Time in the West
3.  My Darling Clementine
4.  The Oxbow Incident
5.  High Noon

DeZuniga
Road Apple

« #38 : June 20, 2018, 08:07:28 AM »

Okay, I'll play...

1.The Good The Bad And The Ugly
2. Once Upon A Time In The West
3. Duck You Sucker
4. The Wild Bunch
5. Little Big Man
6. My Name Is Nobody
7. Blazing Saddles
8. Oklahoma Crude
9. Billy Jack
10. Man In The Wilderness
11. Django
12. McCabe And Mrs Miller
13. Unforgiven
14. Dead Man
15. True Grit
16. The Magnificent Seven
17. Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid
18. High Noon
19. Shane
20. Yojimbo (without Kurosawa there might never have been a Leone)

After this... about a hundred other undisputed classics...

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #39 : June 20, 2018, 01:49:57 PM »

Okay, I'll play...

1.The Good The Bad And The Ugly
2. Once Upon A Time In The West
3. Duck You Sucker
4. The Wild Bunch
5. Little Big Man
6. My Name Is Nobody
7. Blazing Saddles
8. Oklahoma Crude
9. Billy Jack
10. Man In The Wilderness
11. Django
12. McCabe And Mrs Miller
13. Unforgiven
14. Dead Man
15. True Grit
16. The Magnificent Seven
17. Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid
18. High Noon
19. Shane
20. Yojimbo (without Kurosawa there might never have been a Leone)

After this... about a hundred other undisputed classics...

Have you ever seen some of the non Leone Spaghetti Westerns?

There are about 10 + or - that are pretty top notch. Check out, The Great Silence, The Big Gundown, Death Rides A Horse, Run Man Run, Keoma, The Mercenary, Companeros, Tepepa, Day Of Anger, Cemetery Without Crosses, A Man Called Slade.

« : June 21, 2018, 03:31:30 AM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
DeZuniga
Road Apple

« #40 : June 24, 2018, 01:39:31 PM »

Seen most of the movies you mentioned and, yes, they are top notch and would definitely be among my top 100.

Oops, noticed a major oversight in my Top 20. From Noon Til Three with Charles Bronson definitely needs to be in there. So scratch off Shane and add that one in there. It starts out with  a neat little Twilight Zone-ish opening in a seemingly deserted town... then slogs thru a bit of labored comedy-romance but really takes off in the last half with some offbeat satire on the nature of celebrity.

"Graham Dorsey was no bigger, better lookin' or braver than me... which is to say he was nothing but a sidewinding faker and a SHIT!"

"Fill your hand."

"I already did." BLAM!

moorman
Bandido

« #41 : June 24, 2018, 02:53:12 PM »

Seen most of the movies you mentioned and, yes, they are top notch and would definitely be among my top 100.

Oops, noticed a major oversight in my Top 20. From Noon Til Three with Charles Bronson definitely needs to be in there. So scratch off Shane and add that one in there. It starts out with  a neat little Twilight Zone-ish opening in a seemingly deserted town... then slogs thru a bit of labored comedy-romance but really takes off in the last half with some offbeat satire on the nature of celebrity.

"Graham Dorsey was no bigger, better lookin' or braver than me... which is to say he was nothing but a sidewinding faker and a SHIT!"

"Fill your hand."

"I already did." BLAM!

I might surprise you with this because it has very low ratings but I've always like The White Buffalo with Charles Bronson.  Maybe its because i saw it when i was very young. I don't know but I remember really like that movie...

DeZuniga
Road Apple

« #42 : June 25, 2018, 05:47:16 AM »

Until he joined up with Cannon Films and stopped seeming to care (especially after Jill Ireland died) Bronson did seem to pick some quality projects... even if they weren't the most appealing to moviegoers of the time. I think after he finally succumbed to Death Wish 2 (which was actually quite funny in a self-parodying way) his movies really took a turn for the worse.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #43 : June 25, 2018, 06:17:44 AM »

To me From Noon Til Three was a cute little "print the legend" type film....

: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines