Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2018, 03:51:40 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Une corde, un Colt... aka Cemetery Without Crosses (1969)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Une corde, un Colt... aka Cemetery Without Crosses (1969)  (Read 39769 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2007, 05:15:31 AM »

Interesting quote from a SWWB member...

"Got the new CWC DVD by Anolis today. Looking very good, very nice packaging also. There is a 30 minute interview with Hossein who has some stories to tell. For instance that he was also offered Clint's part in FOD, that Leone shot the eating scene of CWC, and that Argento didn't contribute a single word to the script".

Those are some serious claims Hossien is making. Wonder if their true?
The "eating scene" that is referred to is the scene where the baddies play a joke on the hero at a dinner table.
Now that I think about it, Leone's touch is in that scene since it is rather slow moving and contains a lot of awkward close-ups.
The Argento claim is interesting also.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 05:59:09 AM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2007, 05:31:38 AM »

thanks for that info, something to ponder.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2007, 07:53:37 AM »

Nice discovery Afro. When I saw the eating scene I thought: "Very good imitation of Leone's style!" and because I'd heard that the whole movie was a homage to Leone I had no reason doubt that impression. But now when you say that...  The scene is too Leonesque to be directed by anyone else than the master himself Grin.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Rojo Ramone
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2007, 11:29:18 AM »

I was just looking at Xploited to see what was new when i came across the Anolis CWC.
Naturally i came back here to see what you guys thought of this movie because i haven't seen it.
Of course this is another SW i want but can't afford...DAMN!

Sundance
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2007, 02:28:05 PM »

The Argento claim is interesting also.

http://www.mclink.it/personal/MC8574/englishdario.html  Tongue

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2007, 02:37:48 PM »

Interesting... Thanks. Is this Donati's homepage for sure? http://www.mclink.it/personal/MC8574/

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2007, 10:23:20 PM »

PAWNED

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2007, 11:19:30 PM »

PAWNED

It's nice to see Sergio Donati obtain supreme ownage over Dario Argento.

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2007, 11:24:15 PM »

This is like the Leone equivalent of Tyson's bite fight.....

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2007, 03:31:55 PM »

That post from "sergio donati" is suspect. When was this written? Why wait until now to post a rant against Dario? Either way, Dario has produced enough great movies that this is meaningless. This isn't the first time in history that a writer, director, etc has taken credit for something he did or did not do. Many times it is done intentionally so as to give said writer, director some early credit. Remember the RUN, MAN, RUN score?

It's quite funny when it was brought to people's attention that Leone's action scenes were directed by other directors because he was incapable of doing so himself, it is ignored.

But yet, when something about him SUPPOSEDLY DIRECTING a scene in another movie is brought up.....oh, of course, his trademark is stamped all over this thing! He is the true component for the existence of this film. I didn't like it before but I like it now knowing this. Roll Eyes

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2007, 03:32:47 PM »

That post from "sergio donati" is suspect. When was this written? Why wait until now to post a rant against Dario? Either way, Dario has produced enough great movies that this is meaningless. This isn't the first time in history that a writer, director, etc has taken credit for something he did or did not do. Many times it is done intentionally so as to give said writer, director some early credit. Remember the RUN, MAN, RUN score?

It's quite funny when it was brought to people's attention that Leone's action scenes were directed by other directors because he was incapable of doing so himself, it is ignored.

But yet, when something about him SUPPOSEDLY DIRECTING a scene in another movie is brought up.....oh, of course, his trademark is stamped all over this thing! He is the true component for the existence of this film. I didn't like it before but I like it now knowing this. Roll Eyes

Afro Evil

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2007, 04:30:05 PM »

Haha, so amazingly true.

Sundance
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2007, 06:52:24 PM »

The letter from Donati is I think at least one year old. I first saw it when someone linked to it at SWWB (probably a year ago, might be even longer, I can't remember) and nobody there questioned if it's really Donati's site or not. Google also lists that site as the first one if you search for "Sergio Donati" (not that it necessarily means anything) and lots of Italian websites seem to be linking to it. I can't understand Italian and I haven't been following the site so I can't know what kind of things it has and has been updated with.

As to why make the rant now... the letter has actually been modified from the version I saw... if my memory is correct, it used to have him mentioning seeing the new DVD release of Once Upon A Time In The West at stores and seeing Argento credited. Which I guess could be why he just absolutely needed to get this out there. So maybe it was written when the DVD was released? I don't know.

So because Leone made so many great movies, it's meaningless who actually was the director of Nobody? Tongue

« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 06:55:39 PM by Sundance » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2007, 06:56:51 PM »

That post from "sergio donati" is suspect.
And yet it is consistent with what he says in his interview with Frayling (Once Upon a Time in Italy), 156,157:

I have here the shooting script. And you can see here "from a story by Bernardo Bertolucci and Dario Argento," not "story by. . . " And it is 420 pages long. And I used to make a workshop for young scriptwriters, and I would put on the cassette of the finished sequences, and I [would] read from this, and it is almost identical to the shooting. It is so descriptive, the feeling of Jill as she goes among the men and maybe somebody touches her ass. Sergion asked to have everything written down; he liked that. Long descriptions, indirect dialogue, long biographies of the characters, lots of suggestions on how to direct the scene. Many different possibilities. Hundreds and hundreds of stage directions, with just one line of dialogue. The first sequence--there is the fly, the water, the knuckles, everything. The first line is on page thirty, I think. Here, the old man asking for the money for the tickets. Then nothing, nothing, nothing. It is exactly what you see on the screen--the still on the cover of your biography of Sergio Leone. The small station of Cattle Corner, exterior, day. Camera finds detail of gun in holster. It was shot just as it was written. We're introduced to the three bad guys waiting at the station--more and more stage directions. We're on page eleven already--no words yet. Pages seventeen to twenty--no words except the notice board, which says "delays". . . . And then page twenty-nine, the stationmaster, the old man, says, "For the tickets, you have to pay . . ." All the sound effects are written down, too. The plop of water--that's Woody Strode standing there with the water dropping on his head. The insect--zzzzz. That, Leone loved. Here's the fly, everything.

With Sergio you sat down and you imagined the scenes together. It was a very fast work. He said that, and it's true. But he also says, "We wrote it." He never wrote even a postcard. But that's typical for a director. I wrote, but we worked together. He used to imagine the scenes. . . . For Once Upon a Time in the West, we sat around the table for fifteen days, and I didn't take many notes. He used to say to other people, "Oh, he remembers everything." It was a surprise to him, because what I believe in I don't need to jot down. And if I take notes, they are no use. I can write only when I have the script clear in my mind. And so I came home, and in three weeks I wrote this 420 pages, and I rewrote just two or three scenes, no more than that.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2007, 09:34:13 PM »

Again, the Elite Order of Higher Intellect are not reading the post.

I will re-type in the hopes that it is clear the second time.

Obviously with Dario's name being on the film, he had some input whether it be a single sentence or idea, he had some input regardless of how much it may have been.

Again, I will re-type--IT IS NOT UNCOMMON FOR A WRITER, DIRECTOR, MUSICIAN, ETC...TO RECEIVE CREDIT FOR A WORK HE MAY NOT HAVE HAD MUCH INVOLVEMENT WITH IN THE FIRST PLACE TO GIVE HIM SOME CREDIT FOR LATER OPPORTUNITIES.

Again, I will re-type--DARIO ARGENTO HAS DIRECTED ENOUGH CLASSY MOVIES THAT HIS PLACE IN CINEMA NEED NOT BE QUESTIONED AND IS MEANINGLESS TO DEBATE HIS CINEMATIC SKILLS OVER A CREDIT FROM A MOVIE OVER 40 YEARS OLD.

Again...what does my response have to do with MY NAME IS NOBODY? AGAIN.....THAT'S NOT A LEONE MOVIE.... Roll Eyes

I was referring to the one who said that Leone directed a scene in the awful CEMETERY WITHOUT CROSSES.

Since no one bothered to read my post carefully and concisely, I noticed that no one also bothered to address this bit from the same post...in reference to the awful CEMETERY WITHOUT CROSSES in case there is still further confusion. If so, check the title of this thread....

But yet, when something about him SUPPOSEDLY DIRECTING a scene in another movie is brought up.....oh, of course, his trademark is stamped all over this thing! He is the true component for the existence of this film. I didn't like it before but I like it now knowing this.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM