Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 01:54:11 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Une corde, un Colt... aka Cemetery Without Crosses (1969)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Une corde, un Colt... aka Cemetery Without Crosses (1969)  (Read 36963 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2007, 09:55:48 PM »

Well, as is the habit of this board, discussion doesn't always stay on topic. It wanders into other areas, such as the above digression regarding authorship of OUATITW. Touchy, touchy . . . .

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2007, 10:05:38 PM »

AGAIN, I NEVER QUESTIONED THE AUTHORSHIP OF ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST. ARGENTO IS NOT THE SOLE CREDITED SCREENWRITER.

IT IS NOT UNCOMMON FOR A WRITER, DIRECTOR, MUSICIAN, ETC...TO RECEIVE CREDIT FOR A WORK HE MAY NOT HAVE HAD MUCH INVOLVEMENT WITH IN THE FIRST PLACE TO GIVE HIM SOME CREDIT FOR LATER OPPORTUNITIES.

The THIRD time I hope is the charm.

Still, no one has bothered to acknowledge anything about Leone's inability to direct an action sequence. Instead relying on other directors to do it for him. We're talking more than one scene. LENGTHY SCENES OF ACTION. I guess that means LEONE ISN'T THE SOLE "AUTHOR" OF HIS WORK EITHER. NO ONE SEEMS TO RECOGNIZE THIS BUT WHEN THE SUPPOSED GENIUS THAT HE IS DIRECTS A SCENE THEN SAID FILM IS NOW SEEN IN A DIFFERENT LIGHT.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2007, 10:11:24 PM »

You seem to think that this thread is all about you. Well, you have my pity.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2007, 10:12:13 PM »

It's quite funny when it was brought to people's attention that Leone's action scenes were directed by other directors because he was incapable of doing so himself, it is ignored.

I wouldn't say that he was incapable, its mentioned in the commentaries on DYS that Leone was busy directing the principals and leaving the action to the second units. I could be the same in the other films.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2007, 10:23:37 PM »

Not according to Margheriti. He has nothing but praise for the man but it is said that he was uncomfortable shooting big action scenes and he left them to his ADs. Alberto de Martino also did the final action scene in DUCK YOU SUCKER. So that's three for this one movie...

Giancarlo Santi, Margheriti and de Martino.

To Jenkins--what gave you the impression that I thought the thread was about me? I simply brought something to your attention that seems to be constantly overlooked. No need to pity me. You wish to incite some sort of battle of words with me but I have little time for you now. If you like, PM me your address and I will send you some toys. I have some old WW2 toy soldiers in the attic that could possibly bring some enjoyment to you and possibly help you to focus and read posts more carefully next time.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2007, 10:24:20 PM »

I wouldn't say that he was incapable, its mentioned in the commentaries on DYS that Leone was busy directing the principals and leaving the action to the second units. I could be the same in the other films.

Well I don't know Joe.

I know he did direct the bombed out town shootout in GBU because I have seen pics of him on that set.

That shootout is pretty pedestrian stuff.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2007, 10:46:31 PM »

Not according to Margheriti. He has nothing but praise for the man but it is said that he was uncomfortable shooting big action scenes and he left them to his ADs.

That makes me wonder why he wanted to do a movie on the Leningrad siege. Probably planned to shoot it in a bathroom.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2007, 12:11:03 PM »

Afro Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2007, 11:43:53 PM »

This is getting a rerelease in Japan.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2007, 11:56:41 PM »

To Jenkins--what gave you the impression that I thought the thread was about me? I simply brought something to your attention that seems to be constantly overlooked. No need to pity me. You wish to incite some sort of battle of words with me but I have little time for you now. If you like, PM me your address and I will send you some toys. I have some old WW2 toy soldiers in the attic that could possibly bring some enjoyment to you and possibly help you to focus and read posts more carefully next time.

Grin

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2008, 10:32:27 AM »

http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/cemetery-without-crosses-anolis-limited-edition-release-p-12305.html

This movie looks very interesting to me. But i dont know if im willing to spend $45+ on it Undecided

« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 04:35:53 PM by Kurug3n » Logged
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2009, 08:03:26 AM »

Just thought I'd add a comment here. The confusion stems from Leone directing the dinner sequence which Hossein talks about on the interview on the German DVD where a photo of Leone directing is shown.

And yes, if you watch the movie, Cris Huerta looks absolutely nothing like Leone.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2009, 09:05:43 AM »

Well, Cemetery Without Crosses is a classic of its sub-genre, merited or not, the opinions obviously vary. I like it, though I don't watch it often and wouldn't rate it very high. It's full of W cliches, yeah, but the non-standard W characters, the surreal touch and the fact that it's stripped of the usual SW excesses make up for a nice little change. The dinner scene is great; the unsure close-up build up to a nifty surprise.

7/10

« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 12:30:43 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2009, 11:41:07 AM »

Personally I love it. It is pure visual cinema with minimal reliance on dialogue. Alex Cox says in his review that he wishes even some of this very sparse dialogue would be removed which would almost render it literally speechless. In any case it should really be watched in its original French, rather than English or Italian, for the times when speaking does sporadically occur.

Including this one, I have only seen two films directed by Hossein. Albeit well-respected as an actor, he seems to be to have been grossly underrated as a director.

After Leone's five, this vies with Corbucci's "Great Silence" for the no.6 spot in my favorite Spaghetti Westerns

« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 11:44:29 AM by Novecento » Logged
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2009, 11:46:35 AM »

Well I don't know Joe.

I know he did direct the bombed out town shootout in GBU because I have seen pics of him on that set.

That shootout is pretty pedestrian stuff.

Not really. That's probably better than 90+% of western shootouts that came before.

I have my doubts about Leone's supposed inability to shoot action. Anyone else have more evidence?

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM